Seconds Sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Like every maker of things, I occasionally make something that I'm not quite happy with or lose interest in part way through. Out of habit I put those things in a box or on a shelf with the intention of rectifying or finishing it off at a later date. My box/shelf is getting quite full and I am need of some funds, so thought that I might pass them on to my friends at much reduced prices :)

There is nothing functionally wrong with any of these blades, but there are niggles that I can't be bothered with. Mostly that will be very slightly asymmetrical grinding, slight warpages or some other cosmetic cockup. I could go back and fix all of these things, but since some have been on my shelf for years, I doubt I will ever get to them!

apologies for the poor pictures, the sun came out!

Prices include 1st class post (though if you bung an extra few quid I can send RMSD, which is advisable for over £50 deliveries) and PP fees

sale 1 by buddknives, on Flickr

1) 4.5mm thick, 95mm long edge, EN42J steel. blade was ground to maybe 240grit and left to get a little rusty. £35
2)5mm thick, 95mm edge, no idea if the steel. Edge is convex ground, tough little blade with nothing wrong with it at all. £25
3)3mm thick, 120mm edge, Cs8CrV2 (or O1?). Absolutely nothing wrong with this, I went through a phase of making integral steel kitchen knives, this is one of those blades that never got finished. £35
4) 3.5mm thick, 90mm edge, EN42j steel. I made a pair of skean dubh blade for a mate and he only wanted one. blade is ground to 240 and left, the groove is in need of tidying but should be easy enough with a slipstone. £35
5) 3.5mm thick, 120mm edge, cs80CrV2 (I think! may be EN42J). 240 grit finish, a bit uneven. Because I really wasn't happy with it, I obliterated my makers mark. £40
6) 4mm thick, 50mm edge, O1 steel. 240 finish, very slightly uneven grinding mostly I got bored. £30 SPF
7) 1.5mm thick, 75mm edge, O1. I was playing with some offcuts, got bored, moved on. £20

sale 2 by buddknives, on Flickr

8)sold
9) 3.8mm thick, 165mm edge, O1 steel. Kitchen knife blade that I lost interest with (being a full tang!), 240grit finish, not perfectly even grinding, again my logo been scrubbed out. £45
10) 4mm thick under the spine, 12mm at the spine, 195mm edge, silver steel blade. A Pesh Kabz that I made as a forging exercise years ago, just to see if I could do a forged finished T-cross section blade. Turned out that I could and then my interest waned. Nothing wrong with it, but the tang hasn't been ground flat (though has been hollowed to make fitting slabs/grinding easier. £70
11) 4mm thick, 110mm edge, silver steel blade (i think). Aside from my logo removal, there is nothing wrong with the blade; the handle is ugly as sin and I as tossing up whether to replace it or remedy it (there is a red epoxy strip down the spine of the walnut handle). After about 6 years of umming and erring it is now up for £50
12) 5mm thick, 260mm blade, unknown steel. Slight warp to the blade (i almost got a handle on it before I noticed, so it is subtle), logo removed. £65

sale 3 by buddknives, on Flickr

13) SOLD
14) 5.5mm thick, 200mm edge, EN9 steel with a hamon. I made this during a course several years ago and I never got around to the handle, blade has since tarnished and needs a tickle, otherwise nothing wrong with it at all! £65
15) 2mm thick, 115mm edge, mild body to blade and twisted pattern edge. I intended to try some wire inlay in the soft mild portion, but there is a very small flaw in part of the twist pattern, so couldn't bring myself to finish it, would make a great kitchen knife. £50
16) 4mm thick, 95mm edge, EN42J core with low contrast stripey damascus on the sides. Nothing wrong besides a bit of tarnish, but got bored. £50
17) 5mm thick, 115mm edge, en42j core with mild sides. I made a batch of laminated blade a few years ago and the rest took so long to sell, that this never got finished, nothing wrong beyond a bit of tarnish. £45
18) 4mm thick, 45mm edge (ish), multibar patternweld. I made a large seax a few years back and there was a flaw, so I chopped it off and salvaged the blade. This was the piece cut off the end, I intended to make a folder from it, but never got around to it! £45

Last edited:

Bartsman

Forager
Jan 5, 2013
Princetown
Dave - as ever a craftsman - I trust this finds you well.

I'm looking at these and wishing I could resist - but it's futile!

I'll take 13 as that a delightful piece of hawthorn.

Let's hope I get it finished before I book onto one of your autumn courses ... are you now making or doing one of your multi-tool extravaganzas?!?

Best wishes

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
daaaaamn! I saw this thread title and my wallet panicked. If I hadn't just aquired a couple of knives recently i would be snapping up several of these, loving that wee friction folder blade particularly. Still got to get more out of the last blade i bought from you. I'm sure these will all get snapped up fairly soon :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
gents, your blade/knife are on their way! :)

Don't forget to post pictures of what you do with them (ie handles, though things cut etc is also good) :You_Rock_

n.b. most of these bits are better than half the price that I would normally sell them for. So if you are sitting on the fence, once I've cleared my 'to do, eventually' box, this offer won't come around again for another decade! I'll have another rummage at the weekend and see what I can add to the offering, I think there is a bearded axe head there too ;)

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Bearded axe Dave??!!

My wallet is already hyperventilating, please stop it..
I can't even afford a Mora right now , so I'll probably miss out on that...
One day
:)

Last edited:

Bartsman

Forager
Jan 5, 2013
Princetown
Dave

Perhaps you should offer the axe by Dutch Auction with closed bids ending in 72hrs!

Is that within the rules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Dave i've oggled your wares for a long time, sods law you'd have an amazing discounting sale when i am rubbing the pennies together in my pockets trying to get them to have babies, best of luck with the sale, got so much going on consuming upcoming finances i can't even joke to myself that if they are still there at said date i'll have one or two of them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE