Seasoning a Dutch Oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I have just bought myself a Dutch Oven, same as the 4 litre one supplied by Ronnie Sunshines I believe.

It didn't come with any instructions, but is supposed to be pre-seasoned. Just wanting to make sure the job is done properley, I want to season it myself. Any advice gratefully received.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I bought a couple of cast iron Skillets just before Christmas, I wasn't sure they were seasoned, so I re seasoned them. I smeared them liberally in cooking oil, wiped off the excess, then put them in a hot oven for 20 minutes. When they had cooled, I repeated the process. Hope this helps.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
How I did mint was to wipe with oil, place in very hot oven until it stops smoking, allow to cool down a bit, and repeat 3 or 4 times.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Excellent stuff, and the tip from British Red's tutorial about doing it all outside in the BBQ is priceless! A real life saver.

Of course I shall claim it as my own idea and gain brownie points for being so thoughtful.

Many thanks for all replies.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Did mine in the oven indoors to say the wife wasn't to pleased is an understatement lol washed in hot water dried it in oven then just coated it in veg oil with kitchen roll in to hot oven for about an hour then repeated 3 times easy :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have you searched the site for Dutch Oven? been talked about a lot. Also search on youtube there are stacks of videos showing you how to season a pan...its not hard to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE