1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Seasoning a Dutch Oven

Discussion in 'Lovely Grub' started by Robmc, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Robmc

Robmc Nomad

I have just bought myself a Dutch Oven, same as the 4 litre one supplied by Ronnie Sunshines I believe.

It didn't come with any instructions, but is supposed to be pre-seasoned. Just wanting to make sure the job is done properley, I want to season it myself. Any advice gratefully received.

2. crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly A somewhat settled

I bought a couple of cast iron Skillets just before Christmas, I wasn't sure they were seasoned, so I re seasoned them. I smeared them liberally in cooking oil, wiped off the excess, then put them in a hot oven for 20 minutes. When they had cooled, I repeated the process. Hope this helps.

3. MartinK9

MartinK9 Full Member

4. ozzy1977

ozzy1977 Full Member

How I did mint was to wipe with oil, place in very hot oven until it stops smoking, allow to cool down a bit, and repeat 3 or 4 times.

5. Robmc

Robmc Nomad

Excellent stuff, and the tip from British Red's tutorial about doing it all outside in the BBQ is priceless! A real life saver.

Of course I shall claim it as my own idea and gain brownie points for being so thoughtful.

Many thanks for all replies.

6. andyc54

andyc54 Settler

Did mine in the oven indoors to say the wife wasn't to pleased is an understatement lol washed in hot water dried it in oven then just coated it in veg oil with kitchen roll in to hot oven for about an hour then repeated 3 times easy :)

7. ozzy1977

ozzy1977 Full Member

I did mine when the wife was out, door and window open though

8. rik_uk3

rik_uk3 Banned

Have you searched the site for Dutch Oven? been talked about a lot. Also search on youtube there are stacks of videos showing you how to season a pan...its not hard to do.