Search function - Am I being very dense or is it rubbish?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Today I wanted to do a search for "potato patina" since I wanted to stain my pocket knife and I heard overnight in a spud was a good way to do so.

My search yielded lots of results that contained references to "patina", lots that contained the word "potato" and an indeterminate number where both the words I wanted were present.

I tried adding + signs to the start of the search terms like you can in Google, but got the same results. Trying advanced search had the same results.

How do I make it only return hits where both keywords are present? Or is that not possible using the in-site search function?

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
It doesn't make any difference, the results look the same as if the quotes weren't there. But even if it had worked, surely that would only yield posts where people had actually said "I made a potato patina!".

I also want posts where people say "I made a patina with a potato", or any of the million variations of that sentence. Basically I want to search for the words potato and patina when they occur in close proximinty to one another.....

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
To be fair, it's not much good. More often than not, the thing you've specifically typed into the search bar comes up on the 3rd page of the search, everything before being totally off topic... Just takes a little patience to sift through each page of results sometimes.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I could also do it with the command "potato patina site:www.bushcraftuk.com" typed into Google - but I've always found Google a royal pain in the backside for searching forums. I'd hoped to be able to do it in-site.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I could also do it with the command "potato patina site:www.bushcraftuk.com" typed into Google - but I've always found Google a royal pain in the backside for searching forums. I'd hoped to be able to do it in-site.

i think you're on to a bit of a loser to be honest mate, the search function "in forum" isn't very good at all. i just google whatever it is i'm looking for, if i can remember the thread title then the it'll be on the first page of results on google, if not, i might have to trawl through three or four pages of results to find it. it's amazing how often BCUK comes up near the top of the results for bushcraft related topics on a google search, i think they must like us :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
im going to throw a spanner in the works:rolleyes:, i just used the search function for info on Pyrography, worked brilliantly, got all the info i needed and then some :), but on the flip side, i have also searched for stuff in the past that i know is on the site but no matter what search terms i use - nothing comes up

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The search function drives me nuts :sigh:
I usually manage by remembering a relatively unusual word that was used in the thread and searching for that.
Damn all use for a newbie searching though :dunno:

Doing the search through Google usually ends up embarassing me :eek: :eek:

Hopefully folks will read the thread and someone will point you in the right direction :D

atb,
M

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
No, but as I was typing I realised the phrase "Potato Patina" is inherently funny.... then my dribbling insanity just took over.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
i think you're on to a bit of a loser to be honest mate, the search function "in forum" isn't very good at all. i just google whatever it is i'm looking for, if i can remember the thread title then the it'll be on the first page of results on google, if not, i might have to trawl through three or four pages of results to find it. it's amazing how often BCUK comes up near the top of the results for bushcraft related topics on a google search, i think they must like us :)

Your browsing behaviour is being tailored to suit these days Stu, scary stuff but "they" have ways of prioritising your search results based on where you normally visit. Have you noticed how it's always the same few sites that pop up first, some of the more obscure stuff we used to find a few years back is now well down the list.

Back to the naff search on here though, I can usually find what I'm after although it sometimes takes a few different word combos before I can narrow down the search. It's a known issue on BCUK, but if you go gently it usually gets you where you need to be. I'm not sure if it's a VBulletin thing or just on here?

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I think its a vBulletin thing.
To help your other quest Wook. It would be faster to stick your knife in a spud overnight to find out that it depends on what steel your knife is as to how much of a patina you get.
smudge the blade with a stronger acid such as mustard will also do it, but better:D.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This all seems very complicated.

All you have to do to use the big search engines to search just one website is add the name of the website at the end of the search like this example

patina site:bushcraftuk.com

Then the search engine will only deliver results for that site.

It works for any site.

And yes, the forum search facility is useless.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Your browsing behaviour is being tailored to suit these days Stu, scary stuff but "they" have ways of prioritising your search results based on where you normally visit. Have you noticed how it's always the same few sites that pop up first, some of the more obscure stuff we used to find a few years back is now well down the list.....

i kind of suspected it might be something along those lines, and i agree that it is slightly scary stuff, but it does work to my advantage a lot of the time too....as in the way i described here. it's a strange and unusual place this here internet thingy :)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Well I couldn't find anything conclusive on the forum about Potato Patina, so I had a bash.

My knife has gone from this:

DSCF6379.jpg

to this:

DSCF6426.jpg

Which I am reasonably pleased with.

It no longer looks like Sherlock Holmes' knife, which is a pity. But now it looks like something the Mad Trapper of Rat River would carry - which I am pleased about ;)

I had already scratched the blade up with use and slightly ham fisted sharpening. The knife could not pull off the shiny look any more - so I'd call this an improvement.

The patina-ing process has not dulled the blade at all. It went into the potato hair popping sharp, and it still is.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE