Sawyer Mini Water Filter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I stumbled across this water filter today on Keith Foskett's blog. Does anyone have any experience of it, good or bad? I love its lightweight design and usability. It seems almost too good to be true.

http://sawyereurope.com/filters/biologic/sp128

On hikes, Instead of having to lug a couple litres in my rucksack from the start of the day, or risk infection from contaminated water I figure I'll just fill up the 500ml bag and swig away whenever I come to a water source (having said that, I have never become ill from drinking straight out a mountain stream or even a mountain loch so wonder if it's even worth using a filter.)

When would using this filter be most effective do you think?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used mine a couple of times, not that I needed to but I'd taken it along so thought I'd try it out.

I filled a 2L Platy and screwed the Sawyer onto the thread, flipped it over and squeezed into a couple of 1L Source bottles. It's really fast, equally as fast as my MSR Hyperflow.

I don't tend to bother if I know the water is good, most of my camping is in Scotland and it's usually good water where we go. For trips to the Lakes I'll certainly be carrying it.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I've used mine a couple of times, not that I needed to but I'd taken it along so thought I'd try it out.

I filled a 2L Platy and screwed the Sawyer onto the thread, flipped it over and squeezed into a couple of 1L Source bottles. It's really fast, equally as fast as my MSR Hyperflow.

I don't tend to bother if I know the water is good, most of my camping is in Scotland and it's usually good water where we go. For trips to the Lakes I'll certainly be carrying it.

Cheers, Shewie. Last year I was in Knoydart in the middle of a heatwave and there was no water on the top of the hill I climbed save for a small, shallow loch. I drank the water anyway but was reticent due to it not being running water. I was fine but carrying a Sawyer Mini would have assuaged my worries somewhat and stopped my thirst.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE