"Satchel" Daysacks; Do they exist?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
By "Satchel" I mean a pack that is wider than it is tall.

My reason for asking is that I have a bit of a foreshortened upper body; so when it is fully loaded my Lowe Alpine daysack sits lower than it should, resulting in a sweaty lower back.

On a winter walk this is not pleasant.

What I ideally need is a pack which sits a lot higher, hence the odd request.

Any thoughts folks?

Thanks.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I bought myself a French army issuse 20 litre rucksack a couple of years ago and that's a nice sack mostly a square main compartment but with the incorporated side pockets it appears wider than it is tall. I like it. Sadly I can't find any images via google on this sack, so maybe someone whose Google-fu is strong will be able to help. The sack is canvas with a waterproof outer layer, the bare canvas part sit against your back. Nice bit of kit actually.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I own two bags that might suit your needs.

One is this Yugoslavian offering which works pretty well as a side carry bag when I get into town (feels less bulky in a crowd): Link

This one I bought last week and haven't put it to use yet, but I'm thinking it would make a pretty good overnight bag. It seems remarkable tough for the price: Link

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The German army canvas pack, reviewed on here by Wayland some time ago, might fit the bill. From memory it seemed to sit high and was squareish shaped. About 30 litres or so I think. Widely available either original or repro.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
Here are a couple of alternative links for the Yugoslavian pack (hadn't noticed that was a trade link - sorry): Link and Link

However, if enough people are interested, a group buy could be arranged.

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Here are a couple of alternative links for the Yugoslavian pack (hadn't noticed that was a trade link - sorry): Link and Link

However, if enough people are interested, a group buy could be arranged.

Brilliant, thanks.

I just bought one of the Yugoslavian packs; at that price it is very low risk.

:You_Rock_

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
It's not really a satchel but the issue or Karrimor Predator 45L is designed to ride high due to the need to fit in a webbing set below. Might be worth a look, especially as the desert dpm gear is going cheap now MTP is taking over.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Hmmm....

I can see a camera bag conversion in my future - looks ideal.

varusteleka are good people and shipping was v fast, I'm however hoping to go bag shopping at war and peace which is the end of next week :D

One of these? Link

that's the one! only the shoulder straps looked a bit different- there were several versions of the pack. i also had an older version in a different camo pattern (no idea what it's called) which was for short time in use before the pattern on the pic(no idea what it is called in english...) was introduced; wonder what happened to it... .

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
a1937_mw_rear_big.jpg
The British WW2 pattern 37 "Large Pack" with L straps rides pretty high on the back and is comfortable enough with daysack loads.
21515e.jpg
The pack on the right.

Kevin at Endicotts should sort you out with one and the required set of straps.
http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...ck-large-patt-1937-khaki--619-detail?Itemid=0
The SADF pattern 70 stuff is well made, I scored a lovely Patrol Bag last month to add to my satchel collection.
SADF pattern 70 video.
[video=youtube;tg3FNsSMZIU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg3FNsSMZIU[/video]
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE