SAS Smock User Experience? Feedback?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Hi! Has anyone here used/worn an SAS smock and can comment on it? The design of the exposed buttons...don't these catch on bramble/briars and snag you/get ripped off?
How durable is the smock for the cost...how long will it last before it falls apart/gets holes?
Are the smocks still issued and how do you tell the difference between a copy and the issue item?

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've got the Arktis kind and the design is similar and they are really tough! The slotted buttons are really secure and I've never had one rip off.

Pricey but good!

S

Strider

Hi Monk,
I have, and use an SAS smock-got it from a surplus store for 30 quid.
I'm pretty sure its made of ventile, and in my experience it is pretty windproof and waterproof. The butons are not as good as the canadian style slotted ones, but just cover them with sum gaffer tape(black or something matt so you dont have a camo smock with shiny buttons) and you can't lose 'em. Its much better than say the '95 pattern smock, except for the chest zippered pockets which is a feature i really like-so i added sum pockets onto my SAS smock(aswell as sum woolen cuffs...)
Being ventile(i think-well either way) it is very durable and scratch resistant-not bomb proof obviously but it won't fall appart very quickly!
I cannot, however, answer your last question...
But it is a good bit of kit !

Cheers.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks for replies! Strider, what does the label say in your used one that you bought from the surplus store?

It's just that I do not want to spend the funds on a Far East copy or rip-off!
Monk

S

Strider

Its pretty faded(the label), but i can make out:
S.A.S. SMOCK (VENTILE)
CG8415.99.323858
SIZE 180/96
NAME:
No:

LAUNDER AND REPROOF IN
ACCORDANCE WITH
SPECIFICATION ksc3898

as i said its faded and i have quite possibly missread/missed some of the nubers and letters in all hte codes..
but i think youll know if its a fake or not.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Got issued mine - 'Smock, Combat, Windproof, Arctic' - so I don't know how much they are to buy. NSN is 8415-99-137-9102.

It's lasted pretty well apart from the cuffs - they are starting to fray and I'm going to have to get them repaired soon.

I've never lost a button and I agree with the idea of the matt green gaffa tape over the button face stitching to stop them catching. Have to be careful as some tape shows up very well on infra-red and night-vision systems! Not a problem for bushcraft, though. In fact, if you want to have velcro or press-studs, there's no probelm changing the buttons as you probably don't have to worry about being heard unless you're in military situations.

The 4 bellows pockets are huge and can carry loads of stuff - they are the best thing about the garment along with the wire-frame hood. Always get a bigger size than you need for these types of jackets so you can get lots of clothing underneath and use it as an outer windproof layer. It also helps as you get a lot more spece to move your arms/shoulders.

I've also got a desert cam version I used last year - can't tell you much about it at the moment (a mate's got it in Afghanistan at the moment) other than it's rip-stop ventile, desert pattern, same pockets, but no wire in the hood. If you're interested, I have a picture somewhere.

Thoroughly recommend them apart from the fact you'll look like a military-wannabe. Shame they don't do them in olive or dark blue...

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks Mikey P!
Yeah, if you could post a pic!
So windproof smocks are still issued by MoD? I thought they were no longer on issue! Interesting...I did not know there was a RIP-STOP Ventile cotton available.
Any idea if the Falklands DPM parka is still issued?
Monk

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks everyone! I prefer cotton/ventile as an outer garment covering. I like the SAS smock design with pockets and attached hood...Mikey P is right when he confirmed how useful the huge pockets are! Was also looking at one of the Falklands era parka DPM but removing the liner from it...the fabric I take it is mostly cotton? You are right about being able to pile on clothes underneath the windproof outer.
Monk

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Right, apologies for the war-y (sp?) picture - I'm really sorry as it's not what this site is all about but it's the only one I've got of the jacket in use. And - yeah - I know: but the area was secure by then and the helmet and radio were in the Landy about 10 ft away.

54542.jpg

Another excellent reason for getting a large size is that you can roll the sleeves up properly (so they don't fall down). If there's lots of room underneath, it also keeps you a bit cooler by allowing the air to circulate. The only problem then is the body armour underneath and battle vest on top which stops the air from moving around. As anyone else who's worked in those conditions will know, you end up soaked with sweat on your upper half, which then rubs.

Note the tape on top of the buttons to stop the exposed thread from catching - I replaced it with some brown tape a couple of days later when I finally got hold of some. You can see the big bellows pockets below the bottom of the battle vest The pockets on the arms are a bit overkill for bushcraft use and are more likely to get snagged than anything else; however, in the one on my right is a spare field dressing. You can't see the top pockets but - trust me - they're full of stuff! I found it a lot easier to keep stuff in jacket pockets than in trouser pockets, especially when spending a lot of time in vehicles. A lot of people have talked about using battle vests for bushcraft - I'd argue that you're better off with those 'photographer-type' waistcoats and a small daysack. Otherwise, I think you'll end up looking like you're about to storm the Iranian Embassy. Personal choice, though, I guess...

Anyway, great bit of kit but - unfortunately - it's only available in camo, as far as I know. That's why I'm looking into making my own smock in blue or olive green - 'Neil1' and others have given some really good advice - see the 'Ray Mears Shirt' thread in the 'Kit Chatter Forum'.

Sorry - didn't get round to taking a picture of the temperate DPM smock.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Mikey P..thanks for taking time to post pic! Also thanks for tip on getting larger size...roll up sleeves and more air circulation and gain the tape tip on buttons! The design layout is a sound idea.
Monk

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I have used the Artkis SAS waterproof Smock in black for a while now and its great! The buttons won't just fall off and the coat is warm in the winter as its both wind and water proof. Its breathable also which is a big plus. I went for the XXL size so I can have lots of layers on in winter. The wire in the hood is a great feature as you can shape the hood nicly. The zip is great and you can really close the hood and zip so as to protect the face from 85% of the wind and rain. I can't recommend this coat enough, I would certainly buy an olive green one or a second black one for further use.

I avoid the camo patterns as I don't want to look OTT special forces type guy...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE