Sand Sock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I am really a plinker rather than a hunter (do not know any friendly landowners) but after reading Tim Finley’s article ‘Flat out for it’ in October’s issue of Airgun world I was inspired to make a classic field rest straight out of the annals of military sniping: A sand sock.

I basically made a couple of open topped pockets and put a Velcro fastening in the open ends to allow you to fill the ‘socks’ with something lighter than sand, like dried beans, rice, pearl barley etc which could be used as bate or added to stew. I also stitched in some magnets between the two layers of fabric so that they can be clipped together to create a longer v-bag and to stop the sock from sliding if used on a car bonnet/roof.

I think a sand sock is a very simple and versatile rest this can be used to give a very stable platform on practically any surface e.g. the ground, on top of a wall, fence post, rail, car, practically anything, and it can also be used as a for stock or butt rest.

What do you think about it usefulness?

sock1.jpg
sock2.jpg

sock3.jpg
sock4.jpg

sock5.jpg
sock6.jpg

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Looks like a fine idea to me. I especially like the double use of rice/grain store. I'll have a go at making one but I'll use chamois leather and forget the magnets - they won't work to well on my aluminium landrover panels!

If you want to find land to shoot over this is a good tme of year to approach your local gamekeepers and offer your services as a beater on the shoots. Once you've been a time or two and got to know the keeper, and him you, you can approach him about a bit of rabbit/pigeon & vermin shooting. I can't promise it will work, but its how I got mos of my present shooting.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE