Saami Antler crafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What do they do with Reindeer antler?

I am looking in my osseous bit bag and going hmmm.

(Tired of Embroidery at the moment)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Knife handles, small containers (needles and such), spoons, salt cellars, salt and pepper containers for the table, Plaques to use as an inlay in kaasas, parts for spear staffs.
Bottle opener and cork screw handles.
Serving cutlery handles
Buttons.
Parts in bracelets, ornaments you hang around our neck.
Brooches.

That is including the modern stuff.

Last edited:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Well, you could try making a figure 8, kielas, for your suopunki (the Sami version of a lasso).

They used reindeer and elk antler where we use plastic and metals.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have made some lovely buttons with antler. Also made a handle on a ferro rod. I still have to finish putting a handle on a knife blade. And I have a half made pot.look at Willow Lhors work. It's wonderful. I'll see if I have any photos of her work.
There is also scarf woggles, toggles whistles and keyrings.

Sorry no photos of her antler work.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I do not think the Saame made whistles or fishing spears to be frank.

Tengu, have you worked with antler before?

If you can, the combination of birch wood and antler is beautiful, IMO.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yep, make buttons. I’m not the only one here with a Bison Guide shirt or similar that isn’t missing a button or two, or wants to replace them all with antler. Could be a little sideline that’ll put a few quid in your pocket?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks guys, -a lot of inspiration there.

Trouble with reindeer antler is its flat rather than round (like Red deer, -found in southern Scandanavia)

The Elk give big palmate antlers; were they used for anything?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Only the top bits are flat, the 'branches' close to the skull are round.

Elk/moose have wonderful antlers, but the size makes making knife handles and such round items difficult, if you shape down to size you will go into the antler marrow part. Not beautiful, nor strong.

I have a couple of salt cellars ( salt ptarmigan) made by the famous Saame artist Lars Pirak. Reindeer horn crown. (the bit closest to the skull).

I commissioned a couple larger ones from his son, Mikael, he had to use Moose antler crowns.

I imagine they used the flat parts for large inlaying in wood.

I have visited the fantastic Silver museum in Arjeplog a few times, and I do not recall any items being described as 'elk antler'.
The link will take you the museum's website, you can find some nice pics of the exhibited items.Aall real, vintage Saami stuff, collected by the doctor through his life.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ7JtumSBes0YABzNXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyaDhkMjVhBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjkxNDZfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1579223534/RO=10/RU=https://silvermuseet.se/en//RK=2/RS=1ImCeUQSsamRmRqTcZ7UCyWjGbY-

Last edited:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Nice collection, as far as I understand quite typical objects too. There is a very well organized Sami museum in Inari it's called Siida, a good one at the National Museum in Helsinki. If somebody happens to move in Fennoskandia.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Or does a bit of combo touristing.
Mixing proper bushcrafting, Vodka degustation and cultural experience!

I bought the tastiest pickled fish I ever have been eating in the Helsinki harbor.

I love the Saame culture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE