Rowan on Dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Did a rough NVC on the slope leading up to Bellever Tor and threw the results into MAVIS.

According to Elkington, Dayton, Jackson & Strachan (2001) the H2b Vaccinium myrtillus sub-community of H2 Calluna vulgaris – Ulex minor heath fits the species recorded in that Bilberry and Purple Moor grass are present, as well as G. saxatile in general in H2. They also note that young trees are likely to be present as part of the general physiognomy, a distinction setting it apart from the other sub-communities. However, birch and oak are cited as the main colonisers, but Rowan was the dominant tree surveyed on the slope. There was no mention of Rowan.

Is there a reason for this or am I just looking for one where there is none? Rowan seems to be highly characteristic of Dartmoor but is virtually absent in places like the south east of England as far as I'm aware. My species list fits with H2b but the rowan tree element throws it off.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Plenty of rowan in the woodland places that I visit in Surrey. Plus of course all of the council-planted varieties to be seen along various roadways etc. I'm no expert, but perhaps it requires a particular soil type to do well?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Exploration gaps since the original surveys, birds, etc, spreading seeds/eating the fruits.
Same here with the distribution of birds. Nothing like the maps in the books.

We have 2 wild species of Sorbus here. Inconspicuous until they color up and the fruit ripens in the fall (October).
Can't predict where to expect to find them =
Sunny openings in the Interior Cedar Hemlock biogeoclimatic zone.
Up and down the mountain sides to 5,000'. Close enough.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The one thing I have noticed over the years about Rowan is that if they are growing where it gets too dry, they succumb to a kind of die back rot. They don't thrive. The manage bitter cold, poor rocky soils, icy winds, frozen Winters, but hot dry Springs and Summers aren't good.

M

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
I'm in North Hampshire and there's plenty of Rowan, far from dominant though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE