Rovaniemi - Finland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Ok guys,

Finally on the official count down to the week trip.

Just after a little local knowledge if anyone can help.

We are hitting Rovaniemi airport at late afternoon on a saturday. The thought is to head into Rovaniemi itslef and get provisions in the form of fresh food and meths (SINOL or MARINOL).

Ideally I would like to buy a map of the Arctic Hiking Area and then head up to there on Sunday afternoon.

Ok the info I could do with knowing is as follows:

Local weather forecasts look pretty good for the next couple of weeks and it doesn't look to dip below 1 degree C. How changeable is the weather at this time of year over there?

How readily available are maps to purchase locally?

How easy is it to get hold of Meths?

Are there any fire restrictions in place?

Is it possible to stay overnight locally in Rovaniemi Forest and how far out of town is it?

Anything else that you consider helpful info for a week's trip at this time of year involving local knowldege would be very helpful.

Many thanks.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Hi Muddyboots, I can't answer all your questions, but having been to Rovaniemi I may be able to help a tiny bit.

The forest is pretty close to the town, which is quite small and only a ten minute bus ride from the airport. The forest is about ten minutes in the other direction and is vast, literally as far as the eye can see, you'll get a good view on final approach to the airport.

The local people are really friendly so I would just ask about the other questions at the airport itself.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Im not sure how localised the fire warnings are but i got back from Nuuksio (right in the south) on Monday and there was a blanket fire ban in the park apart from the fire huts with the wood burners. Meths i found difficult to find ie i didnt manage to get any on my transit to the park stopping in Helsinki and Espoo. Given more time devoted im sure its possible to get some but didnt want to lose too much time. The parks i visited all had small visitor huts at the entrance which sold maps etc but no meths.

Hope you have as good a trip as i did
Will

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Good luck with the trip - I am very envious as I would love to go back there.

You can download map segments from the Finnish mapping service. Also the website for Finnish fishing permits have quite good maps. Remember that on Finnish maps white means forest! There is a Metsahallitus office in Rovaniemi so you can get the free Arctic Circle hiking area leaflet which has maps of the trails and is probably sufficient if you are sticking to the trails.

I got meths (or something like it - it was red and smelt of acetone) from the petrol station near the bus station in Rovaniemi.

There is a large area of woodland with timber shelters on the other side of the river from Rovaniemi. Cross the Lumbarjacks candle bridge and access is easy. It's not very wild and there were plenty of folks around when I went there. I'm not sure if overnights are allowed but if you were discreet probably ok. There is also a campground with a nice bar by the river.

The Rudolf Youth Hostel in Rovaniemi is comfy enough but a bit bleak - reminded me of student residences.

There is a bookshop in one of Rovaniemis shopping malls - I'm pretty sure from memory that they stocked maps - they are quite expensive.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
How readily available are maps to purchase locally?

Any bookshop and the tourist office should carry them for some 10-15€. You can also cut and paste one from following link.
http://www.excursionmap.fi/

How easy is it to get hold of Meths?

Any superstore or gas station carries them if you accept almost any brand.

Are there any fire restrictions in place?

Currently there is a bushfire warning in place in whole of Lapland. Basically this mean that one should be carefully when using any kind of open flame.

Is it possible to stay overnight locally in Rovaniemi Forest and how far out of town is it?

There is forest all around Rovaniemi, but the nearest laavus are at Santavaara, some seven and a half kilometers north of the city centre and at Heposuo (three kilometers west of the city). Of course you can camp two nights anywhere you like, save for people's lawn and other public places.

Anything else that you consider helpful info for a week's trip at this time of year involving local knowldege would be very helpful.

There are no mosquitos this time of year so basically you can leave out anything that has some to do with them; nets, ointments etc.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Many thanks guys that is really helpful information and much appreciated.

I'm delighted that the mosquito repellant is not needed currently.

With regards the water quaility it's a case of boiling before it can be drunk?

Doc I've gotta say it was actually your post that inspired this trip and it was help from Martin K9 and Two Dogs that has made it possible.

I know both me and Bodge are really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Many thanks guys that is really helpful information and much appreciated.

Doc I've gotta say it was actually your post that inspired this trip and it was help from Martin K9 and Two Dogs that has made it possible.

I know both me and Bodge are really looking forward to it.

Oh yes!! Not long now Dave. Meths is the only foreseeable problem I can envisage. I was going to take my jetboil but if the gas was unavailable it would be a useless lump of kit. At least with a meths burner and billy can the billy can be used on an open fire should meths be a problem. We will have plenty of time to source meths though so it should not be an issue.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland

The "season" starts around mid-June and the worst time is in July. If you're in Lapland then, head for the hills or tunturi/duottar in this case...

I have never boiled water when I've camped and have never caught any deceases. There is a certain risk when you're camping near the houses and such but then again you can fetch water from a common well or buy it from store, if necessary. You can also ask the tourism office if there is lähde (a spring) near where you camp.

P.S. If you're interested on the local culture, you should visit Arktikum before you leave.
http://www.arktikum.fi/

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
There is a lahde (sorry my keyboard doesn't do Finnish characters) near some (not all) of the laavus at Arctic Circle, together with a trilingual sign saying the water hasn't been tested.

DSCF17241.jpg

It looks very clear and I didn't have any problems. I boiled water from the river and the lake but I'm not sure if this was necessary. Of course it is no hardship to boil water given the excellent fireplaces and wood supply provided by Metsahallitus.

And the Arktikum is well worth a visit:
DSCF1707.jpg

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Many thanks guys all info really appreciated.

Just a quick question - what time do supermarkets stay open till on a saturday and is anywhere open on sunday.

The museum would be great to visit as well. It looks fantastic from what I have read about it.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Just a quick question - what time do supermarkets stay open till on a saturday and is anywhere open on sunday.

The Finnish legislation limits the opening times on Saturdays from 7 am to 6 pm and on Sundays from 12 am to 6 pm. Some products can be bought from manned gas stations at all times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE