Rosehip Wine Questions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi All.

Quick query to see if anyone can help. I gathered 2lbs of rosehips this morning with the intention of making wine, following mister Fenna's reciepe that can be found here:http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=587-Rosehip-Wine

So long story short I didn't really think this through. lack of supplies is the first issue.

I have the rosehips etc, and a plastic food grade bucket to use.

This is where I need some help.

The only yeast I could get on short notice is McDonalds fast rising yeast, the packet of sachets.
Does anyone know if this will do the job and if so, roughly how much to use based on the recipe John provides? or have

Secondly, I can't find the lid for the bucket, so would it be enough to cover it in clean film or does it need to be air tight?

This reciepe requires it stand for 2 weeks, which gives me time to gather the other materials.

If neither of these are suitable, does anyone know how long rosehips will store for and the best method of doing so lacking a freezer?

Iv'e pm'd mister Fenna, but thought I would pose the question to you fine folk in hopes of an answer, seeing as some of you have extensive knowledge and might know what to do.. (cough*BR*cough) ;)

thanks in advance,
Stephen

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay here we go, is McDonalds fast rising a bread yeast? If so it really isn't suitable. It'll ferment something but not very strong or flavorful. Nip down to Wilkos and buy a tub of general purpose wine yeast. The rosehips will last a week if you leave them in an unheated place and covered. For the fermentation, cover the top in cling film and poke a few tiny holes in it with a pin to vent gas.

HTH

Red

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Bread yeasts are fine for ale and can make passable wines in my experience but wine yeasts do indeed make much higher quality wines in terms of flavour and strength. Give rosehips a shot with a decent cider or champagne yeast too, very good indeed

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Thanks for the quick response Red!

Right so that yeast won't do, so would this one suffice: http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=86&prodid=49

Unfortunetly there is no Wilkos in Ireland apperently, are many other places that do home brew supllies there is one store i could get to, but they don't open on sundays!

There are a couple of online places and I am planning to order demejohns and airlocks on payday, but that won't be till next week. So if I can get the yeast these will be in a bucket with cleanfilm for the first two weeks, before being transfered to demijohns with airlocks.

mick91, for this year i'm going to keep it simple, then next year i may start playing around with the recipes as i've done for fruit spirits.

a further note To British Red: you and mister Fenna have a lot to answer for with you thread on blackberry brandy a year or two back! what started out with a simple small batch of blackberry brandy has turned into a whole pile of bottles of bushcraft spirits doing there thing all over the house! Curse you! (or thank you.... i'm not quite sure) :rolleyes:;)

atb
Ste

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cut open a bin bag to make a plastic sheet. Next, a length of string, loop in one end. The other end is tied into a rubber band and that in turn into an opened paper clip to make the hook to catch the loop-end of the string. I ran 2 x 45 gal primaries of crushed Zinfandel red grapes with these economical lids.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE