Rockstead knives imports

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacob1977

Nov 6, 2019
leicester
First post so keeping with etiquette
Hello All

So I’m waiting to purchase a Rockstead Higo 2 in ZDP ( not in stock ) I’ve offered to pay upfront but they said due to exchange rates they couldn’t take my funds . Would it be easier to purchase from the US and have it imported has anyone had experience with this dilemma , also one site said they can offer a better price than shown if I deal through emails due to there min price guidelines.

Jacob

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello,
Welcome to the forum. As this is your first post, I am taking a guess that you signed up in order to ask this question. While there are knife collectors here, you will find more folk with relevant experience over on the Edgematters forum. Rockstead are a good deal higher end than the knives that most people here buy and use.

The situation with bringing locking folding knives into the UK has changed a couple of times, my experience was all in the dark days when any lock knife that could be opened with violent arm waving was seized. I have heard matters are improved, but hopefully someone with up to date experience can chime in.

I have to admit that I would be nervous about having such an expensive knife sent from the US. On the other hand, you don't say, and I don't know, what the price of this knife in the UK might be, or how long you might need to wait...none of the pressures and incentives to go the import route.

Are you aware of the costs of shipping, insurance, import duty, VAT on the goods and shipping and duty, and the courier's handling charge for paying these fees on your behalf?

Best of luck

Chris

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
also one site said they can offer a better price than shown if I deal through emails due to there min price guidelines.

This bit sound a little dodgy too, not sure what you mean by this but I would be very sure a site I was going to buy a rockstead from was 100% legit and well known. Also dealing direct through emails means that if I had subverted a website then those emails could be redirected to anyone. Buyer beware, if a deal is too good to be true then guess what...

Also as Chris says, there is always the chance of seizure at the UK border, I wouldn't risk it.

Reactions: santaman2000

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Heinnie Haynes stock a couple of variants. That’d be your best bet.
I was going to post those, until I spotted that they used the YXR7 tool steel with DLC coating, rather than the stainless laminated ZDP189 the OP is after.

The latter seems to be the preferred premium option, although for many I doubt that it will really make a difference since this is a hard knife to carry and use as a tool.

Would be interesting to hear more from the OP :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I feel good now buying that LE damascener Fallkniven knife.....
Feeling good because I realize that I did not spend that much really...

OP, I have two points to mention if you plan to use that knife.
1: Hell to sharpen and hone. HRC 67? Crazy!
Variable edge angle = double hell to sharpen and hone.
2: Scratch magnet.

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Sporting Cutlery....up in North Wales. usually have a couple of Rocksteads for sale, might be worth a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE