Right then... Fenix or Led lenser?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I've been on the hunt for the perfect belt mounted torch for a while now.. I've narrowed it down to either the Fenix E25 or Led lenser P7. Thing is the fenix seems like a better made torch and has a IPX 8 waterproof rating, unlike the Led Lenser.

Anyone own a Fenix torch? It also seems to have a slightly longer battery life on full power- but it does has a lower lumen output and no belt pouch :bluThinki . Long range beams would be most useful for me so which would you go for?
Thanks chaps

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
We have both a led lenser P7 and a fenix ld20. Both excellent and well worth the money. They both have great battery life. I bought the fenix as it's a bit smaller and I wanted something compact. I do like the focus method on the P7 though. Both came with a belt pouch. The test I suppose is - if I lost both and could only have one what would it be? mmmm. P7 I suppose but only just. I would be happy with either.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive not owned a fenix but have had several P7s. Used to use them as bike lights and even in foul weather they were bomb proof. Ill be honest though unless you need a huge thrower id go for something cheaper and smaller. The AAA format is expensive to run and rechargeables dont last long. Ignore claims of 130 hours too. They do eat power.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use the Fenix LD25 (also 2AA) costs me about £30 delivered. Superb torch - so much so I have two!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Fenix all the way!
I have two - an E20 and a TK12 - both exceptionally well made and both picked up in "pre-used" condition of this forum.
The only Lenser I have handled belonged to a cadet colleague (can't recall the model) and felt a little "plasticy" in comparison - though it might simply have been a thicker coat of paint!
Both my Fenix torches put out impressive amounts of light and seem to last long enough - though I must admit to having a ready supply of batteries so I can't comment on actual longevity.

Ogri the trog

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Both good lights so you can't go wrong really.
I have a few Fenix lights and they're fantastic, the LED lenser lights i've played with were also great though, so win win.

Couple of things i will say.

You say you want a belt light, so what sort of size are you after?
I ask as my Fenix TK70 can be fitted on a belt and that's HUGEEEEEEE light, so specifying a light that will fit on a belt covers a multitude of sins.
Personally i'd consider the P7 and E25 more towards pocket light size.

What are you using the torch for?
If it's night hiking i would personally recommend something with a bit more power, as i find a little bit of extra throw really really helps to get your bearings and scout out routes.

Are you set on AA batteries?
If not 18650 batteries open up a whole new world of power and run time with very little size or weight gain compared to AA batteries.

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
I bought a Fenix L2D Cree Q5 (now discontinued) about two years ago and it's been the best torch I've ever had. I used it for EDC, camping and even cycling (with a velcro lock-block). It blew everything in its class out of the water.

It's been very reliable and has performed superbly on a diet of NiMH and Lithium cells. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Fenix.

Mind you, my new EDC flashlight is a Zebralight H51 and it's frikkin' *awesome*...

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I own 3 Fenixes and like them all.

What I will say is their "E" range is much better value for money than their "L" range, which tends to be twice as much. The "E" torches only have 2 brightness settings compared with the 5+ of the "L" range, but truthfully that's all I or most people need. They have similar light outputs.

I own an L2D, an LD20 and an E11.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks chaps, some really good replies here and all very useful! Does anyone know of a CHEAPER brand with a good light output? Since its for work theres a good chance it could get broken or more likely lost, so I'm thinking something much cheaper now with a high lumen output, maybe around £15? Are any of those on amazon any good?

I'm a fan of LED Lenser, they recently sent me a P7, P14 and a H7R (rechargeable head torch) to review for them. The H7R is in my opinion one of the best torches you can get for Bushcraft. Obviously you can work with your hands free which is always a benefit; the most impressive thing i found with it is that it allows you to dim the light, the Light is by far more bright that you would realistically need when on full power. It's also waterproof (I depended on a head torch while in a storm in America and was scared of it failing on me as it wasn't waterproof :( ). The battery life easily sees me a week or so of camping out in the forest, i tested this as i worked over summer. If the batteries do run out you can change the rechargeable batteries with 3 AAA batteries. One bad point i will comment on is that it has a tendency to turn itself on while in a pocket as the button is too easily pressed; although it does come with a case that stops this from happening.

Ste.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE