Review: Spyderco Manix 2 in CPM M4, Tan G10 for bushcraft use.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
This is my experience of the Bento Box Shop's version of the Manix 2. Not an ideal bushcraft knife, of course, but a useful back up knife (and the full flat grind is much better for food prep than a scandi.)

The obvious difference compared to the standard Manix 2 is the "tan" colour of the G10 and the full flat ground CPM M4 blade. Beyond this, I believe the liners are more extensively skeletonised (the M4 version has large, squarish cut outs) -I don't have a standard Manix 2 for comparison. This, plus the FFG blade brings the weight down from 143g (Standard) to 124g for the M4 version.

The knife allows left and right tip-up carry with pocket clip. The fit and finish are good: centered blade, countersunk torx bolts, no gaps, chamfered lanyard tube, solid lock up, no play. The lock is more effort to disengage than the Benchmade Axis lock with which it will inevitably be compared. I have to use a finger and thumb in tandem to pull the ball-bearing housing back. Not difficult but does necessitate a slight change of grip on the handle; still a one-handed operation.

The tan G10 is surprisingly pale and greyish, rather than the brownish/sandy colour I would have expected.

When I received the knife, I put a 30deg inclusive edge on it using a Sharpmaker (I might experiment with other edge geometries using benchstones but I was eager to get going) and then stropped on a loaded 50cm length of veg-tanned leather on wood backing. As expected, the knife was hair-popping sharp to the tip. I confess I did not check for a burr using my loupe at this stage -more of that later...

The knife became my companion for the next few weeks:

Out in the woods:
DSC01768.jpg

The ergonomics are typical spyderco (which I like, YMMV)- deep choil for forward grip:
DSC01767.jpg

The knife saw frequent and varied use (pics not in chronological order):

I truncated and flattened a piece of hazel for use as a digging stick, harvesting ramsons (wild garlic) while out with the dog. Smell of bluebells and garlic delightful:

DSC01784.jpg

Made some feather sticks for a fire with my lad:
P1040292.jpg

The corners of the handle did begin to create hot spots on my hand after a while- not really a criticism as a fixed blade would normally be my choice for this:
P1040296.jpg

Whittled a pot hangar (this isn't how I normally use this style of pot hanger!):
P1040370.jpg

P1040373.jpg

And got the grub on with a tripod:
DSC01825.jpg

Shot a couple of bunnies (I think I left some blood on the blade and this stained a bit):
DSC01828.jpg

Somewhat gory pic of paunched rabbits so don't view pic if squaemish.

Jointed them (the Tan G10 certainly shows up dirt/blood -arguably a good thing as you know when they're clean):
P1040337.jpg

Also processed some chicken:
P1040454.jpg

And did some carving (started a spoon and stake for tree-support etc.):
DSC01892.jpg

P1040407.jpg

The blood from a careless nick is on the spoon -oops:
DSC01893.jpg

The knife was also used for numerous other day-to-day tasks during this time. At the end of several weeks use, the blade was noticeably duller and bore stains from blood and oak sap. The lock up was solid and play free, the pivot action smooth.

IMG_1505.jpg

Running a finger nail up the side of the blade toward the edge there was a "catch" or hooking sensation on one side but not the other, reminiscent of a rolled/folded edge. I have tried to photograph this with a macro lens (not my forte) but I can't see an obvious roll:

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

Since then I have sharpened at 40 deg inclusive- still hair-popping but should be less damage prone. The blade was developing an uneven patina so I have tried to even it up a bit by leaving the blade unwashed after cutting up onions and such:

P1040461.jpg

P1040459.jpg

In summary:

An excellent knife: good ergonomics, albeit a slightly fiddly lock release, with superb blade steel. I have no issue with blades not being shiny, though I do now carry a small oily cotton strip in a baggy with this knife as I don't want pitting to develop, especially around the pivot. Like any non-stainless steel, a bit of care is needed (proportionate to how long you want the knife to last, anyway ;)) The edge holding is impressive, given what it went through, and I cannot be sure I had fully removed the burr with my stropping so performance might have been even better if damage of the microbevel did occur due to burr tear.

I don't know how long the lock mechanism will resist the onslaught of pocket crud and the skeletonised liners are a potential blood/muck magnet. Not withstanding, I really like this knife and it is seeing more pocket time than any other (including newer) sharps.

Highly recommended if you are in the USA* and don't mind non-stainless blades and Spyderco looks.

Best wishes,

Xav

*Bento won't ship internationally but you can get one to the UK if obliging friends etc. can help.

Last edited:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Good review.

And nice feathersticks, but i thought you could only make them with a scandi grind :D

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Good review.

And nice feathersticks, but i thought you could only make them with a scandi grind :D

It's not actually illegal to use alternative grinds... yet!

Since writing that review, I've put a single bevel grind on (for now) but a micro-bevel can't be far off as a single bevel is a bit pointless on a knife like this:

IMG_1568.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE