Repairing the Storm Damage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I went down to the wood today expecting a bit of damage after the storm over the last few days but, thankfully, we seemed to have escaped most of it :).

The parachute over the fixed camp needed some attention so I re-pitched it. We decided to put a permanent camp in when we first started looking after the wood two years ago to make sure the rest of the wood remained pristine. I know it looks a bit 'clinical' but it stops other parts of the wood being damaged.

Here's the pitch after today:

camp - 2019-04-28 14.48.34 - 2056 - 25.jpg

This was new one on me - we have a soakaway at the camp for foul water (excuse the colour :)). The idea is that the water soaks through the sieve into the rubble pit underneath and any mess (food debris etc. gets caught and put in the bins). These beetles (Pterostichus madidus? I'm not good on my beetles!) had tried to go through the holes but failed. You'll be pleased to know that they were all alive!

beetles 1 - 2019-04-28 14.31.58 - 2056 - 25.jpg

beetles 2 - 2019-04-28 14.33.03 - 2056 - 25.jpg

Then, the highlight of the day. I went to look for recent activity at an old badger set and this little fella poked his head out to see who was around. After all these years in the field this kind of thing still makes me feel really privileged :)

_2019_04_28_1299 - 2 - 2056 - 25.jpg

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
No trees down here but a bit of straightening up of things to do tomorrow after a visit from Hannah! :(

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Two big trees down here one only a few yards away from my house. Luckily fell into a field and missed the two donkey inhabitants. The other blocked the road into the village missing a car by seconds. Havnt been further afield yet but I'm sure there will be a couple more down somewhere. I could hear chainsaws today. Someone will not have to buy firewood next winter!

Last edited:
I went down to the wood today expecting a bit of damage after the storm over the last few days but, thankfully, we seemed to have escaped most of it :).

The parachute over the fixed camp needed some attention so I re-pitched it. We decided to put a permanent camp in when we first started looking after the wood two years ago to make sure the rest of the wood remained pristine. I know it looks a bit 'clinical' but it stops other parts of the wood being damaged.

Here's the pitch after today:

View attachment 53526

This was new one on me - we have a soakaway at the camp for foul water (excuse the colour :)). The idea is that the water soaks through the sieve into the rubble pit underneath and any mess (food debris etc. gets caught and put in the bins). These beetles (Pterostichus madidus? I'm not good on my beetles!) had tried to go through the holes but failed. You'll be pleased to know that they were all alive!

View attachment 53527

View attachment 53528

Then, the highlight of the day. I went to look for recent activity at an old badger set and this little fella poked his head out to see who was around. After all these years in the field this kind of thing still makes me feel really privileged :)

View attachment 53529

Great post Broch, thank you for sharing.
Regards, Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE