Regular Devon( south west ? ) get together??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just trying to gauge interest , would any mid-devon bushcrafters be interested in a regular get together? Say once a month?

My idea at the moment is to base it at a scouting ground located within Ashclyst Forest which is just outside of Exeter which should allow good commuting routes from most of the South West.
Also camping facilities are on site and it would has a good site for undercover instructional area if required.

At the moment just trying to see who may be interested in trying to get it off the forum and onto the ground as a regular ‘thing’ after that I would like to envisage we could attempt to arrange some ‘show & tell ‘ days with instruction from within the group or outside the group. Ie mushroom ID , Animal tracking , field archery etc .

Anyone seriously interested enough to talk this through over a few beers??

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
We'd be up for something like this in principal. What sort of camping? Would it be tents? Hammocks and Tarps? Bivvie bags?

Would you envisage weekends or weekdays? Loads of questions but would be interested in doing something every 2 to 3 months.

Martin

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Camp wise , whatever you want ( i think?..) can't see any reason for any particular type of camping.
Just thought it would be a good way to reguarly meet up ,swapsy books, check out each others gears and kit , exchange rude and tall stories and oh yes,.. learn some bushcraftty type stuff , who knows may even lead onto a regular LARGE event .

No set requirement to turn up , But i know due to other commitments that once its gets up and running it will have to exist as regular member involvement as i will not be able to always attend ( Night Shift and other commitments ) so will require everyone to pitch in and set up some sort of program of events if thats whats wanted , if not just bring your sleeping bag and rum....

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
I just looked up Ashclyst Forest on Google maps and it looks fantastic. Can't wait for more details. We'll see how this develops.

Martin

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just a few thoughts , If the meet was every 2-3 months then i guess it would have to be justified for a whole weekend, if it was every month I would imagine a Fri get together around a fire until everyone is there and it allows some time for people to commute up and turn up whenever with then a earlish start for the saturday ending in a bomburst for home around the 3-4-5 O'clock mark so that people can spend half the week end with the family??

Sound O.K?

What would people prefer.

a) More regular monthly meets of a one day duration

b) Quarterly meets over a long weekend.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just to add, if any one else is searching for gen.int on where i am on about, the following is pulled off the scouts website and Google maps seems to recognize Caddihoe as a location.

Caddihoe Scout Centre

This is a campsite of around nine acres split between five fields situated in Ashclyst Forest on the outskirts of Exeter and is available all year round. The maximum number of campers is 200 and is, therefore, not really suitable for large County camps or backwoods camps.

If you are seeking indoor accommodation there is a small cottage which can sleep 20 and is available all year. Beds and cooking utensils are not provided. The kitchen has a six-burner cooker, a refrigerator and a water heater. The cottage is not centrally heated. There are two indoor toilets and two washing areas.

A deposit is required whether you are using the cottage or the fields for camping.

There are two small toilet cubicles in the cottage and there is also a toilet block on site.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Good location. Ashclyst is an old and great wood with plenty of varied woodland habitats and types of tree. Its a central location. Time permitting, I'd be up for it.

Oh...does it allow campfires?

LBL

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
Count me in chaps, my time is pritty flexable so if u need any help with organisation give me a yell! A few of us were on about a beer over near dave budd's place so maybe we could get together and discuss it over a cold one? What do we think?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry , Not sure if you are waiting on me for a response or not? ( i am only putting the idea forward , so please run with it )

Meet up for a drink - Yes
When - For me difficult - work a rotating night shift and some days off are busier then others , if you can all agree a date time and venue i will do my best to advise you or attempt to make time to attend.

That all being said if you can , and are happy yo get this off the ground by yourself please do - All i want to see is a regular local meet - don't care who organizes it but i would suggest Exeter is a local and logical choice Unles mr Budds Forest is sufficiently Large??

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well its not any good for me.
If its gotta be a Friday my next available one after that is Fri 27th March.

If your interested , I work a four night on , four night off shift pattern so i would be working in march ( nightime ) 4,5,6,7 12,13,14,15, 20,21,22,23 , 28,29,30,31 etc

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ok Then so people who can make it on the 27th Of March please list here;-

Venue;- Topsham Friday 27th March

TeeDee
the big guy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE