Red and BBs home.....the adventure continues

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spent today assembling a couple of bee hives....bought some discounted models in cedar which is nicely weather proof.

National Hive by British Red, on Flickr

They have nicely old fashioned "WBC" type sloping roofs which I think suits our place (although that was BBs choice)

The only thing is the instructions were....rubbish!

Thought I understood hives from the basic beekeeping course we did - but putting one together is something else to working with one. I hope I haven't screwed up too badly - the bees are coming on Friday (certainly one nucleus, possibly two).

So....any interest in a thread on "babies first steps in bee keeping" ?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, a little piece of Brother Adam is coming to the fens DN - there are Buckfast bees coming on Friday :)

I'll stick some photos up on this thread soon covering preparing the hive site and assembling hives and frames etc.

I'll probably get lots of things wrong in my baby steps - BB is better at me in reatining lessons - I learn by doing! Still, it should have comedy value at least and its another baby step towards that self sufficient dream!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Will be great to follow your "bee-along" please keep us updated.
The hive looks like a great pad. Cedar too? Lovely stuff.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Way to go!
I am thinking on doing it myself as soon as I have found a decent place for my family and me to settle down.... I talked to some local beekeepers in the mean time and I think the biggest challenge would be to find some bees without diseases. As I understand many hives are infested with mites (?) of some sort.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hope to put a few posts on here about our experiences with beekeeping. We have done a seven week course with a local expert....can't recommend doing that highly enough....takes a lot of the mystery out of it.

So...where will be put our hives?

Well, they are advised to be in dappled shade, protected from wind, on a level base, not in a high foot traffic area but close to where the honey will be extracted etc. A high hedge or obstruction in front of the hives encourages the bees to fly further in search of food and not plague the neighbours.

The area we selected is on the right of this picture - outside the wall towards the trees.

Now we have done a lot of work on that area - the walled area now holds greenhouses

Hive Area by British Red, on Flickr

You can see a sort of alley between the greenhouses and ivy covered log shed

The trees are now cut back and BB did stirling work digging out all manner of broken bricks and rubble from old buildings

Cleared Hive Site by British Red, on Flickr

I have built a couple of firm platforms to site the hives on

I started with a load of left over 2x2 from the raised beds

2x2 framing by British Red, on Flickr

Got a couple of el cheapo 2' square slabs and grabbed the mitre box and saw

Tools by British Red, on Flickr

I used the box to mitre the ends of the wood leaving 61cm on the inside edge (the slabs are 60cm square)

Mitre box by British Red, on Flickr

With each piece I checked the fit

2 pieces by British Red, on Flickr

4 pieces by British Red, on Flickr

The corners were held in place with 2 x 3" deck screws

Corner Screws by British Red, on Flickr

Putting the frames on the ground showed how uneven the ground was

Unlevel ground by British Red, on Flickr

I marked the position with my trusty yellow pegs and got some of the rotted back turf removed from the raised beds to make good

Marker pegs by British Red, on Flickr

Spirit level and pegs by British Red, on Flickr

Flattened Earth by British Red, on Flickr

Then I covered the area in weed matting and replaced the frames

Flattened Earth by British Red, on Flickr

Frames on flat earth by British Red, on Flickr

Inside the frames I put a layer of damp sand and got this nicely level

Levelled sand by British Red, on Flickr

Then popped in the slabs

Slab in place by British Red, on Flickr

A layer of chipped wood and bark completed the area (thank you tree surgeon chappies)

Finished hive location by British Red, on Flickr

There we have it ...a place for hives....next comes building the hives

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I already do Sam...but I do fancy using my own honey :)

If I end up with an excess, I was considering putting together mead making kits for people in demi john (six bottle) or carboy (thirty bottle) sizes....all the right yeasts, nutrients, honey etc. Not sure if there would be any interest though?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE