Recommendations for a £1000 or so Diesel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I'm in the market for a new Diesel car. Budget of £1000 but I could stretch to £1200 for the right car..

Just about anything considered, I'm looking for economy and reliability over brand/colour/number of doors etc... and am happy to do basic servicing myself like disks, pads, oil change etc...

My first thought was a MkIV Golf but I'm open to suggestions...

Cheers,
Ben

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Any particular reason why it has to be a diesel?

On your budget I would not concern myself so much with any particular brand or model, instead I would look for the car in the best overall condition.

You will find a good diesel within your budget but be prepared to spend a lot of time searching and be resolved to walk away (perhaps many times).

Try to find a mechanic to look at cars for you, better to know when to walk away than buy a lemon.

Petrol engine vehicles will give more choice for low mileage cars.

Diesel engines are not necessarily the best economical option when all factors are considered.

I drive a diesel and I like diesel engines, but the way things are going it might well be my last.

A one or two owner small privately owned Citroen with a good service history is worth looking at, companies do not tend to buy them as fleet cars and they are not desirable for ragging by 'baseball cap on backwards' wannabee racers.

rorymax

Last edited:

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
No particular reason why it has to be a diesel. I just like the way they drive over petrols. I do mostly motorway miles and longer runs otherwise I cycle if it's under 5 miles and not raining!

I'll check out the Citroen's and the Fiesta TDCI...

I'm not desperate for one right now so don't mind a month or three of searching for the right compromise in terms of cost/condition etc...

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
2.0 hdi engines good,can be found in Citroen synergies,berlingos and peugeot 806s all good kit hauling cars and around a grand for a tidy one.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I bought a diesel Mondeo estate a couple months ago instead of buying a van - huge boot, pretty comfortable and gives 55mpg on a run! Best £1700 I've spent ;)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
+1 for Berlingo, Renault Kangoo, Peugot Partner types. amazing space, 1.9 or 2.0 diesel engines excellent + they are often owned by elderly /careful drivers so frequently found in vgc. Can also be converted into mini-campers..........

I drive a Kangoo Trekka (the 4x4 version) + previously had a Partner. Both are really good for my purposes - 2 x dogs, carrying tons of stuff etc. Partner did 50+mpg, Trekka consistently does 40mpg on short trips + 47+ mpg on motorway runs.

Last edited:

samobaggins

On a new journey
Mar 26, 2014
Bicester
French cars are a good bet for fuel economy. But can be a pig with electrics. If you get a good one they are great. A 53+ plate fiesta is good bet 1.4 diesel is good on fuel and cheap road tax

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE