1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a New tarp.

Discussion in 'Shelter & Sleeping' started by Jackmc, May 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jackmc

Jackmc New Member

It’s time to buy a new tarp that can last a long time as my old one has recently just ripped. I hike into the woods regularly and sometimes spend the night there so I need one that won’t rip on me like my old one . Have any of you guys got any good recommendations of a tarp that could withstand a good battering from the wind and rain and still keep you dry! (3x3m approximately) thank you

2. Mesquite

Mesquite Anyone for sailing?

DD Hammocks 3x3 tarp is a good tarp.

Cormac_74 and Jackmc like this.
  3. Billy-o

Billy-o Settler

I am in a time warp on this, as I stopped applying myself to the subject when I got up to owning about ten of the things. The most modern thinking might be different now - it can be solved easily with the DD, or can turn into a vast, and disputable subject adressing subjects of cost, size, lightness, strength, packability, materials and adaptability.

Hillebergs are very good, but not cheap, and that is the one I prefer to use. Had it years; big but lightish and strong. A big one gives good coverage and, pitched low, is very good for camping on the ground

Buy a Hennessey hammock/tarp and you can use the rather good tarp on its own ...

The Australian army ones are very good too ... see if you can find a green one. God knows what made me sell mine, but the auscam is still pretty.

I think Tatonka still make a cotton one, if that is what you might be interested in. I use it as a canopy for the back of the car mainly, but it doesn't leak ever and is better with the fire.

Then there are some uber-light ones made from cuben/dyneema ... try looking at Hyperlite and Mountain Laurel. And many people making very heavy canvas ones. Wynnchester and several others. Weigh a tonne. There are lots of sil-nylon ones too. I have one small one I keep as a kind of emergency annexe, but I had another which just broke, so it went back. For these, you might start by looking at Big Agnes

Have a look at Scarp tents ... just for something to contemplate :)

There is a lot to be said for the ordinary blue or brown or silvered tarp you pick up at the hardware store. Cheap, very strong, heavy and a little clumsy, but totally waterproof .. if you buy the waterproof ones :lol:

#3 Billy-o, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  4. Jackmc

Jackmc New Member

Cheers billy, I’ll check them all out now

5. Ruud

Ruud Full Member

There's a Hilleberg 10 UL for sale now, I would buy it immediately but I already have a Hilleberg so... I can totally recommend them, very good stuff.

Jackmc likes this.
  6. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

I’m wondering whether the 3x4 might offer more options. Tons of room underneath, the 3m side can be pegged down tight and weighted if necessary which still leaves a lot of space for sleeping and kit even if the wind is blowing the rain in a bit.

Hasten to add, I don’t have one as I mainly hammock camp with tarps. I have a couple of 3x3 which I’ve paired up on occasion, or I use a single one on the diagonal to get right over my feet and head. I also like the tent option the square offers. If you want me to post the vid of the tent option Jack, I’ll dig it out for you.

Jackmc likes this.
  7. MrEd

MrEd Native

second this, i liove mine,
    I got the Pro version for the extra eyelets

8. Jackmc

Jackmc New Member

If it’s alright mate, there’s so many options when it comes to tarps it’s impossible to pick one out!