Recommend a Compact Camera

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
Hi

I'm looking to get a compact camera to carry in the pocket whilst out walking. I don't need it to be waterproof, and really only want something to take a pic whenever I see something interesting.

I'm looking to spend around £100 or so, and am not interested in bridge cameras as they are too bulky.

Cheers

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
My little camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS35. I've had it for a couple of years. It's easy to use, whilst having lots of features if you want to get creative. The lens is made by Leica, which is a good lens maker. It measures approx. 10cm x 6cm x 2.5cm so easily fits in a jacket pocket or even trousers pocket. 8x optical zoom and 16megapixel sensor. It has a limited video facility as well (I say 'limited' because I haven't figured out how to 'zoom' whilst video-ing). I think I paid about £120 for it. I've been pleased with it, but there may be a more modern version out now. Needless to say, what suits me might not suit you so you probably need to go to Curry's or a (proper) camera shop to try out several cameras to see if you like the feel of them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've been using a little Kodak Easyshare100 ($100 = 50GBP?). Taking pictures "for the record," both scenery and close-ups, it's been OK.
As Mike313 points out, there's a (limited) video function that I have never bothered to sort out.

I have a lifetime of 4x5 sheet film and 16 x 20 (or bigger) B&W silver prints. 10X enlargements (Ilford D100) have no grain.

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
Cheers for the replies.

I have been looking at the Lumix cameras and think that I'll probably go for one of those.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE