Recent course: Blade and Axehead

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
The show and course season is back on, so I thought while its just busy and not manic that I would post some piccies from the most recent courses :)

First up my good friend Steve, a member here infact. He booked a long weekend with me a long time ago, but has only just made it down. Not content to make a blade or an axe, Steve wanted to make both. To add to the epic task, the blade was a blooming monster! It was an ambitious undertaking and we had to burn the midight oil so to speak.

I'm afraid I didn't get many pictures along the way. So missing out the boring blade forging and then the blade grinding and the heat treating. Here is a snapshot of Steve tidying the profile of his blade...

steve03_zps3e406160.jpg

The axe head got a bit more attention though :) I provided a lump of mild steel with a slot cut in the end and Steve welded a high carbon edge in..
steve01_zps87743ee1.jpg

After that Steve punched a hole in for the eye...
steve012_zps8fb4abf8.jpg

Some time later...

steve4_zpsd56f9ab3.jpg

and here are mine alongside Steve's at the end of the course.

steve04_zpsbc6266e6.jpg

Good Work Steve!! goodjob

Mine after a bit more work. The axehead is the bearded one mentioned in my axes for sale thread and is now in the posession of Plastic Ninja, who I'm sure will be showing us all his handle-handiwork soon ;) I've not decided whether to sell the 11" blade or finish it up into a knife

steve1_zps0f717e32.jpg

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
My course with Dave was wicked.I'd do another one tomorrow even with the humungous drive to get down there!
The axe head is stunning in the flesh!I'm not sure how long a handle to put on it.My instinct is to go for short and chunky
in ash as I want to use it for carving.About 12 to 15" maybe?
Not sure about that zombie-splitter though : what on Earth did your mate have in mind for it?
Cheers , Simon

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
He has some very nice smaller blades that I've done for him over the years, so he wanted a large knife to add to the kit. Just as so many folk go for leukos and parangs, so the bowie is just another big blade shape that can be used to chop and slash. They are pretty light for their size, but being sabre ground (the blade is flat for the top 1/4-1/3) it is still heavier than a full flat version would be. I think they are around the 12"x 2 3/4"x 1/4" region.

I think I might've suggested that it was a monster/beast of a blade once or twice at the time :D You should've seen his face when I presented him with a bit of steel measuring 14x2 1/2" at the start of the day :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE