reccomend me some good outdoor shoes....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've already got some decent boots boots (Hoggs for work and Patagonia for mooching about) but I need/ want a decent pair of shoes for cycling/ walking trails/ going to the pub.

I'm interested in something like this:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mystic-gtx-p167116

The only problem is that I'm fed up of getting shoes and boots with vibram soles where the upper lasts for ages but the vibram wears through before a year is up.

Can anyone recommend something along these lines with soles that will last?

Ta

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I've got a pair of Scarpa shoes and boots with the same sole and they're wearing pretty well. I got a pair of Scarpa Midnight xcr's for mountain use and for a shallow sole they wear and grip very well. i was so impressed i bought a pair of Scarpa shoes in Italy and will get another pair when I'm over there later this year.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Why do they all look like trainers, I hate trainers. Years ago I bought an excellent pair of brown leather walking shoes and wore them till they fell apart. And I could wear them into the pub without feeling like a chav. Did I mention that I hate trainers ?

Richard

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for the Chameleons, have a look at the Keen or Carn shoes too Rob

If you go for the Merrels and don't get to try them on first, I'd order at least half a size bigger as all the ones I've had have been very snug.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
+1 for Merrell Chameleons. Mine have had daily wear for over twelve months and out on trails (good over rocks) and soles are still going strong. Laces have had a tendency to undo themselves though recently.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
If you mean the Chameleon Wrap, I walked through the heels of a pair in about 3 months, the vibram just wore down very quickly. The retailer exchanged them with no quibbles, which was a relief.

I have had a few pairs of Merrell shoes and have been very happy with their reuggedness but this pair were just very poor. It may have been a one-off on this particular pair but I think it was something to do with the "air" design - there is actually very little "rubber" between the outside of the heel and the first internal air pocket and so in practice it is easier to wear them down. If you are walking in forest trails I think you would be OK but if you intend using them as an all purpose shoe to pound mountain rock and urban pavement, I would rethink your options.

Edit: Oh, and the laces are crap, they make the shoes very squeaky!

Last edited:

effzedess

Apr 29, 2010
Peterborough
Another thumbs up for the Merrell's, my last pair lasted over two years and I was sorry to see them go.
I've currently got a pair of NF Hedgehogs - nice but the soles are squeaking (delaminating) after less than a year :(

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I had a pair of Merrell Arizona ventilators that lasted 3 years and I now have a pair of merrell moab ventilators that are 18 months old and still going strong, I use them for running, scrambling day to day use the get soaked and muddy and are still doing great

FreeRangeGoth

Jun 5, 2011
Derby
keens die on me. Hedgehogs are great, but if you don't like trainers, well, your classic leather hiking boot should do. Don't listen too hard to the recommendations here, your feet know what they like, so find boots that feel good and comfy, you'll probably find a manufacturer that uses a last that is the same shape as your foot. try loads on before deciding,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE