Reccomend me a gore-tex, please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Hey all,

I'm on the lookout for a new gore-tex jacket. I'm decommissioning my bright blue 'crisp packet' Berghaus for something more suiting my needs.

My budget is £300 max.

My requirements are simple:

- First and most importantly I want a silent form of gore-tex. I'm sick to death of that swishing sound and everyone and everything hears it from miles off. I know there is a form of it out there - particularly on the Tahr anorak, but it's a little out of my price range at nearly £400.

- Second of all, I can't live with a jacket without a hood. It makes all the difference when you're walking into stinging spray and ice cold wind.

- Like most of us, I'm hard of my clothes, so I need something really durable. There seem to be a few forms of gore-tex out there (classic, laminate, etc), but I have no idea which is best for what I want. Someone told me 3 ply laminate is the better of them...

Earthy, subdued colours only, please. Pockets aren't massively important, just the above.

Thanks for the help!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hey all,

I'm on the lookout for a new gore-tex jacket. I'm decommissioning my bright blue 'crisp packet' Berghaus for something more suiting my needs.

My budget is £300 max.

My requirements are simple:

- First and most importantly I want a silent form of gore-tex. I'm sick to death of that swishing sound and everyone and everything hears it from miles off. I know there is a form of it out there - particularly on the Tahr anorak, but it's a little out of my price range at nearly £400.

- Second of all, I can't live with a jacket without a hood. It makes all the difference when you're walking into stinging spray and ice cold wind.

- Like most of us, I'm hard of my clothes, so I need something really durable. There seem to be a few forms of gore-tex out there (classic, laminate, etc), but I have no idea which is best for what I want. Someone told me 3 ply laminate is the better of them...

Earthy, subdued colours only, please. Pockets aren't massively important, just the above.

Thanks for the help!

Swazi Narwhal.

The fabric is very quiet for goretex, good hood, subdued colour in the green, the over head style takes some getting used to and the fabric is paclite IIRC so lightweight but not for bashing through thickets or classic abseils etc.....

I've had mine over 12 months and it's been very very good...

HTH

John

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for Swazi, probably the Tahr for me though

Have you considered Ventile at all? The Country Innovations Kestrel smock is a little gem.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Another vote for Swazi, probably the Tahr for me though

Have you considered Ventile at all? The Country Innovations Kestrel smock is a little gem.

Never really got on the ventile boat, tbh.

Has anyone got experience with any of the cheaper stalking brands, etc? Chevalier, Harkila, etc?

Hoggy

Jan 30, 2010
uk
Have look at this thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63860 I think there are few other similar threads. I do have a Laksen Buffalo Jacket as couldn't stretch to a Harkila. It's quiet as its 70%cotton\30%nylon mix outer with a breathable liner but not proper Gore tex but Lakesn's version. Very warm in winter had no problems when it was -16 last winter. Laksen do do other jackets with Gore Tex. No links etc...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Paclite is usually more crisp packet than goretex performance or pro versions. Think performance is current name for classic. Suggest 3 layer is best for durability but durability is more about the outer fabric and your intended use. Some makes do tougher fabrics and I know of at least two that do MRT versions of one or more of their jackets with an even tougher version of the the outer face fabric. Unfortunately these MRT versions come with 3M reflective piping and strips.

Mountain Equipment do some hard shells in goretex pro shell and performance too with tough outer face fabric. There might be one in your price range to suit you, particularly if you shop around. Pockets and hoods are especially good on these but definitely more mountaineering specific (thin helmet compatible hoods that still can cinch down to fit non-helmeted heads except leave you with a cone of excess fabric to make you look like one of the coneheads). Also being mountaineering brand it might be hard to find subdued colours although IIRC they do a black one.

Look at Crux jackets. Might get one in your range and even their lightweight ones are pretty tough with them being a highly mountaineering centred brand. Also darker colours. They are in eVent fabric which is better than goretex pro (which is better than performance).

Suspect someone sooner or later will come up with paramo but I don't like them myself on the grounds that I am not short or fat. Fit is unique I reckon.

Of course all my suggestions are from the walking/mountaineering background based on what I was looking for. I ended up with a Berghaus goretex pro hard shell win bright black with red details. Also with the highly dubious asgard branding using the name of leo houlding or andy kirkpartrick who helped design it whilst on their Asgard expedition (now a film IIRC). It is a jacket but very close fitting and short too so definitely not for that many people. It has exceptional freedom of movement and being so close fitting it breaths so well and the core body venting works so much better than pit zips. These vents are where most pocket zips would be. You open them up and the pockets are actually mesh and inside the jacket, accessed via these vents. Unusuall but works. The vents are on the body so vent easily which is not always true with pit zips being blocked or sheltered by your arm a lot of the time. It might let more water in perhaps but I have worn it with vents fully open in heavy rain and not noticed water coming in. Cracking jacket for climbers. Typically excellent Berghaus helmet compatible hood too.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The Paramo Cascada jacket would fit the bill. Silent, green and far more breathable than hard shells. Lots on offer at the moment and on Paramo seconds shop on Ebay.

Theres an Andy Rouse Keela Munro jacket in medium on the bay at the moment in green/ beige.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Wasn't he on the original Raleigh BMX team back in the 80's?

Rings a bell, not sure though. I though he was a touring car driver from the 90's? (just to make you feel old :))

Apparently, AR is a famous wildlife snapper.

On second thought's, it might be a Paramo jacket aswell, can't remember and I only saw it last night!. Oops.....I really should stop snorting Yew dust :lmao:

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
what are you using the jacket for? Walking, climbing, stalking or bushbeating - make a differnce to which jacket to pick.

Also worth concidering other materials such as eVent.

Stalking/small game/Urbexing/walking. Could be anything really. I don't restrict myself to a handful of activities as I never say no to anything that gets me out in the fresh air! Dogging though, I draw the line at ;)

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Really looking at the Swazi Wapiti at the moment. Seems a tad on the expensive side, but I've heard of a means of knocking a few quid off the price to import it. Looks hardcore with a no-nonsense attitude!

Failing that, Norrona's hunting range dosn't look bad, but the material dosn't seem to be as good as Swazi.

Why is it so difficult to get good kit here without paying stupid prices...that ticks me off so bad. I wanted a Propper field shirt but the price x3s to import it.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Paclite is usually more crisp packet than goretex performance or pro versions.
Depends on the face fabric the membrane is bonded to. In the Narwhal for example is a soft face fabric so the 'crisp packet' effect is minimized. I think if you just wanted a jacket in a outdoor hunting and fishing type of style then I'd look at one of the Tahr clones that are floating around.CheersJohn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE