Reasonably priced wool fabric

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Just ordered some of this, www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182239609098 thought I would share it with those whom may be interested, it is described as a Melton 100% Wool fabric, 600gsm with a width of 170cm, made in Yorkshire.

Caveat Emptor: I have no affiliation with the seller, and have not yet received the order, so cannot comment on the seller/goods.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks like really good stuff indeed if it is as described, especially at that money; we used to use Melton for driving aprons and such like when working the horses, very durable and comfortable stuff with a very good degree of "weather resistance", iimmc.....................

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I received my order today, it is fairly heavy weight and tightly woven, quite thin, maybe 1.5 to 2mm? The closest fabric I have felt to this is the Czech neck warmer, without the stretchiness, if that makes sense. Not very much wind resistance, I can blow through it very easily, holding it up agains a light I can see lots of pinhole size spots of light among the weave. Possibly a hot wash would tighten up the weave?
KenThis, You could make a blanket out of this, but I dont think it would be very warm.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I received my order today, it is fairly heavy weight and tightly woven, quite thin, maybe 1.5 to 2mm? The closest fabric I have felt to this is the Czech neck warmer, without the stretchiness, if that makes sense. Not very much wind resistance, I can blow through it very easily, holding it up agains a light I can see lots of pinhole size spots of light among the weave. Possibly a hot wash would tighten up the weave?
KenThis, You could make a blanket out of this, but I dont think it would be very warm.

Doesn't sound much like Melton then; I think the hot wash is a good idea to tighten the weave though.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I just put a piece of this wool thru' a 95° cotton wash for a felted bedroll liner. It shrank by about 20% but pretty much doubled in thickness and closed up nicely offering cut edges that don't readily fray.
I'm happy with the result.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE