Re-attaching a maul head to fiberglass handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I have a cheap maul that has a plastic/fiberglass handle that seems to be glued into the head. It's not obvious how it is fixed as the eye is completely covered by a black substance, possibly glue.

Now the head is working loose and I'm wondering if/how it can be fixed if it flies off. I assume it's not wedged in any way, but what sort of glue can cope with splitting large logs?

I could replace the handle with a wooden one but I would still like to know if the original handle could be reattached.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I have used epoxy to make the same repair to a planishing hammer but that is a much lighter creature. dose it look like you have a tapered haft?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I recently repaired mine with epoxy and a hardwood wedge. Mine was not tapered.

IMG_20171019_143601.jpg
IMG_20171019_143048.jpg
Mine snapped clean just under the head, so I just filed the top of the haft to fit the head. Only lost about 3" from the haft.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I recently repaired mine with epoxy and a hardwood wedge. Mine was not tapered.

How has it stood up to use?

I'm still using mine until the head works a bit more loose. I'll see how it's fitted once it does come off, assuming I find the head...:eek:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
How has it stood up to use?

I'm still using mine until the head works a bit more loose. I'll see how it's fitted once it does come off, assuming I find the head...:eek:
Still working fine, no probems. It was a cheap Wickes one I bought about ten years ago. If it fails again I'll just buy a new one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE