Razor Strop Fungi & Fungi Books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Does anyone know if you can eat Razor Strop Fungi?

Also, could anyone recommend a good book for the identification of fungi, with proper photos. The one I currently own has watercolour picture and is not all that clear.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hi Nod

In my opinion anything by Roger Phillips is tops.

He wrote an excellent book on wild foods (I think its just called Wild Foods!) which gives the recipes you might want to try, but his mushroom guides have excellent illustrations. Try a search on Amazon and see what there is.

There's also a new book by Antonio Carluccio specifically about fungi - I think its called "the quiet hunt" - I haven't read it yet but the last one he did was pretty good.

I use a couple of field keys written by various mycologists as well but they're written speciffically for botanists/mycologists and can be pretty hard going - lucky my wife is a botanist and can translate the technical terms for me then!

Definitely give Phillips a try though IMHO.

George

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Look around the cheap book shops for the Roger Phillips books, I have picked up most of them for £5 each.

George brings up a good point on the identification via technical books being hard going. Up until now many of the fungi have been named scientifically (Latin). However, last month it was announced that over a thousand of our mushrooms and fungi would be given everyday names to make it easier for the layman to identify them and talk about them.

I will get more info on it :-D

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Razor-strop Fungus (Piptoporus betulinus) is inedible.
Source: Dorling Kindersley Handbooks - Mushrooms. ISBN 0-7513-2717-4.
This book is a good field guide as it uses photos for ID and give the edibility for every entry.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
I dunno but a good book is ray mears essential bushcraft but it does not have that particular fungi in it but he does give some other good techniques :AR15firin

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Its not edible unfortunately but it can be used as a razor strop, plaster and dry it makes an excellent smudge or means of carrying a ember.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE