Rat Packs.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm just munching through my first pack of the 'Stem Ginger Oat biscuits'. nom nom nom.

They're really spoiling the troops now.

:)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
i had some oatmeal blocks the other day my favourites when i was in.

likewise.

Though biscuits fruit are right up there too.

I bought an MRE the other day because I'd never tried one, I've munched my way through most of it, barring the main meal.
They have a couple of good things I'd like to see in the Rat packs.

The giant bag of dried cranberries - much better than out wee bag of mixed fruit squares.
The sachet of peanut butter - would go down very well on the biscuits brown. High calorie and filling.

Other than that though I have to say the MRE's are pretty naff. - you don't get a huge amount in there and there is a lot of sugar.

Brit Rat pack for the win.
Does anyone actually like the syrup pudding? aka slice of car tyre?

Andy

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
likewise.

I bought an MRE the other day because I'd never tried one, I've munched my way through most of it, barring the main meal.

The giant bag of dried cranberries - much better than out wee bag of mixed fruit squares.
The sachet of peanut butter - would go down very well on the biscuits brown. High calorie and filling.

Other than that though I have to say the MRE's are pretty naff. - you don't get a huge amount in there and there is a lot of sugar.

Brit Rat pack for the win.
Does anyone actually like the syrup pudding? aka slice of car tyre?

Andy

I haven't tried the syrup pudding but the sponge pudding and custard was "interesting". SWMBO had the chocolate pudding in chocolate sauce which she said was quite nice if stodgy.

I find the main meals I've tried so far have all been a rather alarming shade of radioactive orange. The breakfasts have all be tried by SWMBO and if nothing else she has said that MOD beans have kept her the most "regular" she's ever been, even three weeks after eating them.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
likewise.

Other than that though I have to say the MRE's are pretty naff. - you don't get a huge amount in there...

That was my complaint when I was active duty. But when comparing them to the rat packs I believe the rat packs are a 24 hour ration? Am I wrong here? Remember the MREs are only a single meal and you would normally get 3 per day so how does the quantity compare when that's considered?

I understand that on both sides of the Atlantic the authorities have finally realized a need to change the menus on a regular basis to prevent monotony.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
are they out of the new MOD rat pack menu? where did you get them from if so?

The charity I currently work for has a range of social enterprises which supports our aims. One of those enterprises redistributes faulty, excess and near end of shelf life food to hostels and other charities.

We get biscuits oat block, fruit, brown and ginger direct from the manufacturers. We use them as part of the lunch menu for volunteers and service users on the farm.

Did I mention that the ginger ones have chocolate chips in them. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't suppose there's an ingredients list, in order or quantity, on the package, is there ?

I've got 250g of fresh ginger sitting on the worktop just now, waiting for inspiration, but stem ginger and chocolate chips are a pantry basic :)

cheers,
Toddy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That was my complaint when I was active duty. But when comparing them to the rat packs I believe the rat packs are a 24 hour ration? Am I wrong here? Remember the MREs are only a single meal and you would normally get 3 per day so how does the quantity compare when that's considered?

I understand that on both sides of the Atlantic the authorities have finally realized a need to change the menus on a regular basis to prevent monotony.

Ah - now I did not know that. I just assumed that they were for 24hours like our stuff.

That's a lot of stuff to carry about.

Andy

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Toddy: Wholegrain oats (64%), Sugar, Hydrogenated and non-hydrogenated palm oils, stem ginger (6.4%), dietary fibre, potato starch, ground ginger, golden syrup, raising agents (E503, E500), barley malt syrup, salt.

C

captain-caveman

isnt the date on rat packs when they was packed ? not a used by date ?

sorry if im wrong

Daz

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Toddy: Wholegrain oats (64%), Sugar, Hydrogenated and non-hydrogenated palm oils, stem ginger (6.4%), dietary fibre, potato starch, ground ginger, golden syrup, raising agents (E503, E500), barley malt syrup, salt.

With a little tweak here & there...
tongue_2.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE