Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Question to Bushcraftuk!!!!

Please enlighten me on membership fees?
As this is a public group why do we have to pay fees?

Who controls all the money paid by members?

Where does all the money go?

Is this a profit making organisation?

Are these unreasonable questions?

Do you post an annual breakdown?

These are some questions I would like answered before I pay.

TKS

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Who said you have to pay anything Frogo to participate here? You posted items for sale in the Wanted section (your first post) that I deleted and I informed you to the rules of the forum that states that selling is only allowed in the Member's Classified section and that in order to be able to post there you have to be a Full or Supporting Member.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks Adi for the reply,

1. you did not answer the questions I asked?
2. Why do you have a problem with answering what I asked?
3. I did not offer items for sale, items wanted/ items offered.
4. there was no mention of money, you just assumed I was asking for money.

Frogo

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Ugh No Answers.
For a mere £250.00 membership fee you get the same as a £15.00
membership, a little extra you get a GOOd FEELING of giving to
BUSHCRAFT UK. hellooo, WHO IN BUSHCRAFT UK GETS THE CASH THEN
AND WHERE DOES IT GO EXACTLY? ARE THESE UNREASONABLE QUESTIONS?
I THINK NOT.
PLEASE ENLIGHTEN.
ALSO IF A PERSON WAS UNABLE TO AFFORD THESE SUMS OF MONEY.
ARE THERE ANY CHARITABLE CONCESSIONS? AS AFTER ALL BUSHCRAFT
SHOULD SURELY BE OPEN TO ALL REGARDLESS OF FINANCIAL STATUS.
IF THIS IS NOT THE CASE YOU HAVE MADE THIS FORUM INTO AN ELITIST GROUP? CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG? PLEASE DO?

Frogo

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Hey :bat: before starting to argue :argue: you should read the guidelines to this forum :deal:, and start appreciating what Tony, Adi etc has done here.
Sorry but your attitude is way :thumbs_do

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Not argueing with anyone, just asking reasonable questions about
where the good people of this groups money goes?
Why is that a problem? Why are you so defensive?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
OK if you read Adi' post above it says "who says you have to pay?". There is no NEED to pay for using the site but if you feel you want to contribute to the running of BCUK then you're welcome too, personally I feel that this site is great, I've taken up a fantastic hobby and there is some really good people here. The information is invaluable.

Up till now Tony was running the forum on his own expenses and many of us wanted to show our appreciation by contributing a little to the running of the site (since then there has been many improvements).

As far as I'm aware all proceeds go towards maintaining BCUK.

As for the higher end membership fee's they're either for a company willing to sponsor the site or for a laugh from Tony, hence the "Good feelings of helping BCUK" comment.

Hope you now feel enlightened enough to leave us alone and stop trying to run down the site.

BTW patience is a virtue... learn it!

Matt

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Yes but if you don't PAY it restricts you to what you can post elitist or what?
Some people as my point was made earlier cannot or may not be able to afford to pay. So how do they post pictures or items for sale etc?
Surely sending pictures to a forum shouldn't cost you money.
You say the money goes to maintaining the site, all I want to know
like any other charity is what it pays for exactly?
Regardless of whoever and however everyone has worked on this site.
Asking these questions and getting the answers should be straightforward
surely.
Frogo

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Frogo.

it is not compulsary here to be a paying member. many very active members have chosen for their own reasons not to become supporting members. That is their choice and we respect that. I and many other members have felt that we gain a lot from membership to BCUK and that Tony has created something that we would like to see contimue and grow. The costs of running a site like this are not inconsiderable and a small contribution of £15 is less than most of us spend on beer on a friday night.

Frogo i suggest you look at the thread on British blades about BCUK being down. there is a great deal of Warmth for this site and BB. Please don't share the hospitality of the site and abuse the poeple that make it possible.

Some of your questions are not unreasonable. The tone is a bit harsh and the typed word often gives more weight than otherwise intended. BCUK as i understand it is not a club or organiastion with a formal constitution and has no real need to post accounts.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
It is straight foward you just need to wait a little while to get reply as not everyone is online all the time or has the time/inclination to read all the posts.

Posting pictures can be done the way we used to do it before the extra money allowed Tony the storage space and bandwidth to allow photos to be store on the forum, use a site like yoxio and link it in here, see it works, now that was easy wasn't it. Actually being able to post pictures on the forum is a way for Tony & Adi to say thanks for helping with paying for the costs of running the site (faster, bigger servers, more bandwidth etc), something thats needed for a site thats getting over 70,000 hits a month.

leon-1

Frogo said:
How much did you pay????????????????

You will probably find that most people have gone for a year membership, the cost is not excessive, as Wayne mentioned it is no more than would be spent on a night out.

I like a lot of people who attend this site am not exactly the best payed person in the world, but this site has the ability to link people who share a common interest.

Little groups that can meet every now and then, practice skills, share knowledge, generally chew the fat and have a good laugh. You will notice that there are stories on here of success and failure that allow each and everyone to learn from mistakes and good skills.

You also get the chance to aquire some good kit from cheap sources, because if you ask people will tell, or you get can bits from members of the site.

I have probably saved as much on the kit that I have bought from knowledge gained on this site as I have paid for membership as well as having made some friends.

And as the others have stated you don't have to pay, posting pictures can still be done, but it has to be done the same way that we used to do it.

With the money provided from membership the guys that run this site have done a very good job, I would not think that they are trying to set up some form of elitist group as they have not asked any one to pay.

The original button for subscription was a donation button and I payed when it was a donation and there were no perks in place then, yet I have still been afforded the same as the people who have subscribed.

I hope this goes some way towards explaining the system here and why people have payed. It was not for personal gain, it was because the server that we had been working with was awfull and we wanted a little more :wave:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Frogo said:
Yes but if you don't PAY it restricts you to what you can post elitist or what?

You can do anything you like, same as everyone else for free - except make money off the site by using the classifieds. If you want to sell stuff, you have to pay for the privelige. If you think that is unreasonable, go talk to your local newspaper about thier classified advertising rates.

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Do I sense some hostility here? The guy is only asking a question.

As a paying member of a club you, he or I all have the right by law to see how your money is spent. The club treasurer should be able to publish such info at request or it can be presented at a AGM.

Of course as nonmembers or if you simply make a donation you have no say and there for cannot claim.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
With the amount of stuff you listed for sale (sorry for offer) in your first post you would have made well over £500 if you shifted it all so do you think £5 (suporting member + use of classifieds) is too much to pay. You could just as easily sell it all on ebay but they would also charge a fee for the sale wouldn't they.

There is no need to start typing in capitals and shouting your message and then claim you just wanted to ask some questions. Manners go a long way even on the internet, you wouldn't walk into a shop and start shouting that it was elitist if they didn't serve you immediatly would you?

Bill

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Zacary said:
Do I sense some hostility here? The guy is only asking a question.

As a paying member of a club you, he or I all have the right by law to see how your money is spent. The club treasurer should be able to publish such info at request or it can be presented at a AGM.

Of course as nonmembers or if you simply make a donation you have no say and there for cannot claim.

precisely.

It's not a club - in fact it's not a public website. It's a privately owned site with public access - and we all use at the leave of the owner - Tony.

We have no rights at all. Tony pays for this site out of his own pocket and has done for a long time. So yes, a little hostility perhaps, when someones first post is an attempt at using this freely provided, private resource for commerce, and then complains because he cant see the owners bank balance. BcUK is not a club, it's not an organisation, it's privately funded, on the whole by one man. Tony pays the rent on this virtual hotel and lets us in to play out of a sense of fellowship for like minded people. I'm afraid it does irritate when ungracious guests are not content to put thier feet on the furniture, but demand to look in his wallet as well.

Oh and while we're at it, I have no idea how much Tony has collected, or will collect in the future, but I doubt it'll buy him a new BMW. If he gets enough to cover costs, great, if there's enough left over to take his wife out for a meal - great. It's none of my business. either way. The contributors donate (or not) as they wish.

If you're miffed because you cant make money out of this privately owned, privately funded website without makeing a donation - hard luck!

....and YES THEY ARE UNREASONABLE QUESTIONS!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Frogo,

Many thanks for your post, if you don’t mind I’ll address your questions out of order.

Are these unreasonable questions?
Some of them are confrontational and aggressive. I’m surprised by them as you did instigate a PM conversation with me on this subject ( you PM’d me at 20.45 I replied at 20.57)

Please enlighten me on membership fees? The following link gives information on the different levels of membership and what you get for the money.

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/subscriptions.php?

As this is a public group why do we have to pay fees?
I’ve never heard of it called a public group before…It is a private website that is populated by members that are invited to come here. The site costs a lot of money to set up and maintain, thus voluntary fees were introduced to offset that cost.

Who controls all the money paid by members? I control the monies derived from voluntary contributions.

Is this a profit making organisation?
No.

Do you post an annual breakdown?
No.

These are some questions I would like answered before I pay.
No problem.

Adi, Tony.

Is this a difficult question???????????

No not at all, I happened to be in bed, which made it difficult to answer you within those 8 minutes between your posts. Adi is an admin on this site because of his exceptional technical knowledge, his regular presence, his level head and because I trust him. However, the decisions, made on bushcraftUK are my own; thus any future questions that you might have should be directed to me only.

Thanks Adi for the reply,

1. you did not answer the questions I asked?
2. Why do you have a problem with answering what I asked?
3. I did not offer items for sale, items wanted/ items offered.
4. there was no mention of money, you just assumed I was asking for money.

I have now addressed your questions.
No one that was able, had a problem answering your questions.
You are perfectly correct that the assumption was made that you were asking for money. I think that the PM you sent to me alludes to the fact that you were intending on selling items to other members. I include an excerpt for clarification. Quote: ‘I have several items for sale that might interest members’. (colour added!) I think that this explains your intentions.

IF THIS IS NOT THE CASE YOU HAVE MADE THIS FORUM INTO AN ELITIST GROUP? CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG? PLEASE DO? You seem to be alluding to the fact that you could not use the classifieds section to make money for yourself. I am sorry if you feel that it is unfair that ‘I’ do not provide you with a free money making vehicle.

Surely sending pictures to a forum shouldn't cost you money. Another misapprehension…I does not.

Asking these questions and getting the answers should be straightforward
It is very straightforward when the questions are not posed in the early hours of the morning.

Ok, a quick summing up.

You have ‘no’ rights on my website.
If you don’t like it here then go somewhere else.
If you do like it here then you are welcome to use the free facilities available to you.

Conversation closed.

Have a great day

Tony

Creator and owner of this private website.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE