...Put a Picture in a Message?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Can anyone help?
How do I include pictures when I am posting a message? I've tried a simple 'copy and paste', but that doesn't work.
Do you have to be a full (paid up) member?
Cheers for any help.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Bloody hell.
That seems a bit intense. I have a Flickr account - is that OK?
What is an IMG Code? It all sounds confusing to me. Assume I'm a complete computer idiot (which I am). How do I do it in simple English (without jargon)?
Again, cheers for any help.

Addendum - I've been to Photo Bucket, registered with them, but I'll be damned if I can work out how to upload pictures to it. There's a 'download' page (what, exactly is the soddign difference between 'upload' and 'download'!? Is it one of those silly things like 'near hit' and 'near miss' where two seeming opposites mean the same thing?) but nothing happens. How frustrating. I'm close to just not bothering with the whole stupid process.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
At the bottom of the forum thread (where you wish to post your picture) you will see two buttons one says “post quick reply” the other says “go advanced” click the go advanced button.
A box will appear, it will have somewhere to write your text and above that, a row of icons (two rows really but you can ignore the top row, as that is mainly for text size and stuff) the 14th icon along looks like a picture of mountains with a black sun behind them.
Click on that one
A box will appear, mislabelled as it is (script label) but underneath that is a box where you can either type or paste the web address of your image. Enter the location of the image and click ok. This will inset the image into the post (full size so make sure your image size is suitable. I’d say not more than 600 wide and 400 high.

Photebucket is easy, and it give you the codes so you can insert small clickable images in to your posts with easy

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
2775755678_331d7600b3.jpg

2775755678_331d7600b3.jpg

yup - it will work ok from flickr (assuming you can see my pic above)

you need to right click on the pic and then copy its location - this is what you paste into the 'insert image' popup box HOWEVER you need to edit it to remove the '?v=0' bit off the end (essentially whatever follows the .jpg bit) - clear as mud eh! :D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Cheers, both G4GHB (yes - I cold see your picture) and TADPOLE. I clicked 'go advanced' but didn't get the little mountain icon. Do you think this might be because I am not a full member? Shame, because I DO know how to post images using such things (I have a blog/journal that uses the same method).
Mmm...
Still, cheers, once again, to the two of you. It's getting clearer in my little Luddite mind. Just wonder why I don't have those icons now...

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mmm...
I notice that as the number of posts you make go up, so does one's status (for example, my lowly 139 posts mean I am a 'Forager', compared to Tadpole's 1,181 - which makes him a Native!). Do you think that the longer you have been a member then you gain access to more facilities (i.e. ability to add pictures)?
I'll look over other's posts and see if this theory works...

...I've checked, and it DOES'T seem to be the case. I'll take it personal...

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Mmm...
I notice that as the number of posts you make go up, so does one's status (for example, my lowly 139 posts mean I am a 'Forager', compared to Tadpole's 1,181 - which makes him a Native!). Do you think that the longer you have been a member then you gain access to more facilities (i.e. ability to add pictures)?
I'll look over other's posts and see if this theory works...
I don't think so Joff a member has made less then you and can post pictures, I can't see any advantage of not allowing people the relevent menu, but still allowing them to post pictures by using code. Over to the mods methinks maybe they know why the menu is missing on your "go advanced" posts

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Thanks, Scanker - that was really helpful.
Thing is, I'm not getting the 'insert image' icon. Or, indeed any of the others - even if I do click 'Go advanced'.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Hmmm. The button just puts the img tags in. You can do it by hand.

If you go to User CP > Edit Options

At the bottom of the page in the box marked Miscellaneous Options, what is Message Editor Interface set as?

If it's set to basic (as I think it might be), change it to standard and that should help.

HawkesNest

Sep 18, 2008
Brigham City Utah USA
www.box.net
Another way to see a quick example of what is actually put in a post (syntax/format) to display photos and also turn words into a link to click on, is while you are viewing somebody's post that has pictures in it, just click on the blue QUOTE button in the bottom right of that post.

This will open up a window for adding a new post to the thread, but for now we just want to look at the text that was automatically put in (the reply) for the quote. You will then see in the text where the (syntax/format) for an image/photo is at.

For example, go to this thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34219 and click the blue QUOTE button at the bottom right of the first post.

When the next window opens you should easley spot the (syntax/format) for photos that are displayed/viewed in this post.

This thread also shows some additional tips that are similar.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29387

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere

At the bottom of the page in the box marked Miscellaneous Options, what is Message Editor Interface set as?

If it's set to basic (as I think it might be), change it to standard and that should help.

OK, that sounds promising. But what's 'User CP' and where do I find it?

HawkesNest

Sep 18, 2008
Brigham City Utah USA
www.box.net

Sweet, This was a great tip. I have been wishing this forum had these tools when editing, now I have them turned on. Thanks a bunch.:notworthy

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
OK, I wonder if this works...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2870991972_692ab08ef7.jpg[IMG]

...no, it bloody didn't.
Can anyone help me with this 'User CP' thingy and tell me where I find it?
Sodding technology. Why can't we all live a simple pastoral existence.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Don't want to get complacent, but think I may have it...
2870991972_692ab08ef7.jpg

YES! YES! YES!
And now I have mastered that I will master computer games as well. Soon the whole world will know my name and quake under my terrible power! I feel empowered and ready to take my place in this brave new world.
Or it might just be trapped wind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE