Purifying Water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
When I go out I often filter my water through the Millbank bag and boil it. This is probably my main way of getting usable water. When I don't do this I use a Aquapure Traveller or the Military version Survivor S4i

(We have been extensively reviewing this since our first review and we do think it is better than we gave it credit, the review is being written at the moment)

I rarely use chemical purification as I just don't fancy using it when I have other choices.
When I have to drink water that does not taste too good (well, puddle etc) I use the US powdered drinks like Kool-Aid or tang, You can get them with the sugar included in the powder. This can make drinks much more palatable.

How do you guys and girls deal with your water needs?

AntarcticFire

Oct 3, 2003
Guildford, Surrey
www.uhmc.co.uk
I use a Katadyn Pocket Filter which has been absolutely awesome... it's a
little heavier than some others but built solidly and should last me a _VERY_ long time.

I try not to use chemical purification unless I'm really that worried about
the water quality. In those situations I carry some cholrine tablets
and neturalising tablets to get rid of the taste...

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
When it comes to chemical I use Xinix aquacare instead of the chlorine tablets I used before. Xinix does not taste like a pool and it´s easy to use.

Never tried a filter and never had any use for it either =)

Mostly I try to find water that is clean, when I am not sure I boil it.

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
Tony said:
How do you guys and girls deal with your water needs?

I, like you, don't favor chemicles when they're not necessary.

I go for the layered approach with something as important as water.

Unfortunately, I've lived in many places where the only means of getting water was bringing it with you. For example, right now close to the ocean, my only option for turning brackish or salt water to potable water is condensation or collecting rainwater. Not a very fun way to get water.

Back to my methods; I start with very basic methods and go to more comlpex ones.

1. Pot for boiling.
2. Compressed sponges and bandanna for collecting dew in emergencies.
3. Iodine (Usually have some Potable Aqua tabs as well as some Polar Pure. )
4. MSR mini-works water filter.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
About the only places I've collected water from so far has been fast flowing mountain streams in the lakes, apparently if you collect from a turbulent area (white water) then its about as clean as you're going to get it. Still filtered through the gate keeper on the water bladder though.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
apparently if you collect from a turbulent area (white water) then its about as clean as you're going to get it

no way bro. Of course it depends on your definition of 'clean', but that water looks clean because there are no visible particles floating in it does not mean that it's safe to drink. Sure, no one likes to drink boiled mud, but it is dead and that counts I think more than the looks or the taste.

Fast flowing, clean looking, crisp tasting water can still contain some nasty buggers you don’t want. Fast flowing cold water contains lot’s of oxygen, that’s good because it helps break down a lot of the organic mass you don’t want in your drinking water. But most of that organic mass is not broken down by the oxygen its self but by the bacteria that use the oxygen to live while breaking down the organic mass (some how organic mass sounds a lot more scientific than **** :lol: )

Anyway, the little creeps are still in there, not as much as in a muddy pond, but still they are (where else can they go?)
Fortunately in western Europe we don’t have the really nasty killers anymore like cholera or bilharzias or whatever, so you’l most likely survive a sip from the stream.
Unfortunately most of us are not used to anything dirty anymore so chances are that you will spend a lot of bush-time with your pants on your ankles. :shock: :rolleyes:
Better boil it or use a good filter.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I usually Millbank and boil or you my Katadyn Pocket filer if I'm lazy! Never had a problem!

I hate chemicals too!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Anyone tried the gate way filters that screw into the neck of water bladders?

Cheers for the info Woodsitter, I was only going on what the GF was told for her Gold DoE

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I've used a Gatekeeper and didn't get ill so it must work. But they are a lot dearer to run than a Katadyn.

Lithril said:
Anyone tried the gate way filters that screw into the neck of water bladders?

Cheers for the info Woodsitter, I was only going on what the GF was told for her Gold DoE

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I use a Pur Hiker and love it. I guess it's now the Katadyn Hiker 'cause I think Katadyn bought out Pur IIRC. I used the Katadyn Pocket filter for over 25 years and it has been a great one but the older I got, the heaver it got and the harder it was to pump it. :shock: But the Hiker pumps easy as pie and does a good job of filtering. And carrying a spare filter is no big deal.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just seen the price of the Katadyn Pocket filter :shock: For now I'll either stick with the gateway or get the hiker or mini filter (or boil it). The reviews look good but definately can't stretch to £180 at the moment.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I've used a "Gatekeeper" with my Platypus water bottles for a few years hill-walking and never had a problem. But I do restrict myself to water sources that look clean and always above the line of human habitation and activity – the filter is only a filter after all!

After extensive testing, the Armed Forces issue the Pre-Mac International SWP water purifier in survival kits. That’s good enough for me and I’ve just bought one to use later this year in Scotland and, hopefully, the Pyrenees. Not tried it yet, but at around £20-00 for 50 litres of purified water, it seems a petty good thing to have in your rucsac.

Ted W

A

Anonymous

Have always boiled water... saves the expense of buying purifiers... :wink:

D

Dutchman

- MSR MiniWorks
- Naglene bottle 1 ltr
- Dromedary bag 3 ltr
- drinking tube
- Lapland plastic mug

Mainly because MiniWorks is save, quick and easy to use (no spilling water), bit heavy and pricy though.

The bag has more functional uses (floating, pillow, etc), is very strong. Handy with drinking tube (even a shower extension is possible :shock: ).

Black fabric keeps water tastless and cool. Also fills the cap in my pack (under top lid). Doesn't take up room when empty.

MSR make exellent rugged kit, also check out their stoves and tents (formely known as Moss tents), sorry off topic :oops:

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Going back to chemical treatments for a little while, have any of you used the Pristine water purification system? It's Chlorine Dioxide (rather than Chlorine) which is the same stuff used for initial treatment for the domestic water supply. The advantage over Chlorine is that it not only kills bacteria, virus & giardia but also cryptosporidium. Plus it really does leave the water tasting nice and not like a swimming pool...

I picked some up in Vancouver where it came highly recommended in the Mountain Equipment Co-op store, I used it with no problems every day for just under a month, purifying about 4 litres a day, in a known "beaver-fever" area.

Biggest drawback was the waiting time (5mins to mix two solutions, then waiting another 15-30 mins for it to work) and that I cant find a supplier in the UK.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Sounds interesting, because anything has to better than free chlorine or iodine!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE