Protecting axe handle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
How many of you use some means to protect your axe handle? Leather collar or cordage of some description? How have you done it and any tutorials?

I have googled it and found one decent YouTube tutorial. Interested to hear what you've done.

Cheers.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah i can see it on a splitter. I had some heavy rubber on one years ago and that worked great, tight enough that it didn't move in use but loose enough that i could just slide it down the haft for storage if it did get wet

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
On my carving hatchet I have paracord full length of the haft mainly for grip. Scandi forest axe has a leather collar as I use it for chopping and splitting the collar has already saved it once splitting oak rounds.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Only axe I have with a guard is a Paps Tomahawks shepherds axe, and it's decorative rather than functional.

With regard to the damp problem, could that section of the handle be painted with a polyurethane and then corded or sealed in inner tube?

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
I have one I made out of leather after watching mqb YouTube vid, easy to do, but mine has stretched a bit and needs to be resized again. Has taken a couple of mis swings but.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
One thing that strikes me is that I'd put the lacing, or whatever means you use to secure the collar, on the inside of the handle rather than the outside. That way your palm would be comfortable on smooth leather and your fingers could grip the inside/thread better. Thoughts?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
One thing that strikes me is that I'd put the lacing, or whatever means you use to secure the collar, on the inside of the handle rather than the outside. That way your palm would be comfortable on smooth leather and your fingers could grip the inside/thread better. Thoughts?

On most leather protected axes I've seen, it's just a collar at the head end. With multiple missed hits, the cord would fray. The join isn't the best place to take impact anyway.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
On most leather protected axes I've seen, it's just a collar at the head end. With multiple missed hits, the cord would fray. The join isn't the best place to take impact anyway.

Ok. I was thinking of comfort when doing fine work. Thinking about it again, you're right. It would be more easily damaged at the joint/seam.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I guess I should protect the handle on my axe too.

A couple of questions.
Is it just the front of the handle under the axe head that needs protecting or the sides as well?
Would some cobra knot paracord suffice? I've been making bracelets and find it's a handy way to store lengths of paracord so the axe collar would then have two potential uses!

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
They are placed to prevent, an overstrike impact. So just under the head is good enough.
I have an Estwing Hatchet. I have wrapped the handle in paracord for a better grip, as the metal handle is thin and cold.

I guess I should protect the handle on my axe too.

A couple of questions.
Is it just the front of the handle under the axe head that needs protecting or the sides as well?
Would some cobra knot paracord suffice? I've been making bracelets and find it's a handy way to store lengths of paracord so the axe collar would then have two potential uses!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE