1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem following links to old threads on the forum - SOLUTION FOUND

Discussion in 'How do I?' started by SimonL, Jul 31, 2019.

1. SimonL

SimonL Full Member

Hello all,
    I wonder if someone can help me with a problem I have trying to follow a link in one thread that leads to another please?
    As a for instance, I posted a thread in "DIY..." about making pine resin, and one of the replies I received contained a link to another thread. When I click on the link, I am taken back to the forums page rather than the thread that is being link to.
    This seems to be the case with any link I have tried, so I know it is not thread specific - the only obvious difference I can see is that the the link contains an aref to an http address rather than an https address.
    I am using a Mac computer, and have the same issue with either Safari or Chrome browsers - I do not have access to a Windows computer to try Internet Explorer or Edge.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Simon

2. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

Happens to me too. Robson Valleys link takes me to the homepage, as have a few other thread links recently.

3. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

It does it to me too. I found though that if the linked to thread was one that was on the old forum, vBulletin, then I had to actually do a google search to get to it.

Try this one, it's one of my old ones that I searched for recently to do a kind of comparison/follow up now the land over the burn has ninety flats :sigh:

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/a-wander-down-the-burn-path.57397/

I'm using a MacBook Pro.

M

4. SimonL

SimonL Full Member

Hello Toddy,
    Many thanks for the explanation and the link you provided (which works just fine)
    I'll have to try harder with the "googling" ;)
    Cheers
    Simon

Toddy likes this.
  5. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

If you suss out an easier way, let me know ?

6. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

7. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

Ok, that works. Any post # within a thread can be tagged by clicking on the # and copy/pasting the code just as you would with a thread.

I do know Robson Valley runs his computer off deer droppings and rendered bison juice, so it really ought to be be working tip top. :p:p:p

Like Toddy says, the old V-Bulletin doesn’t play with the new software.

#7 Nice65, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Toddy likes this.
  8. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

9. SimonL

SimonL Full Member

Ahhh, just came across another thread in which Toddy had asked a similar question (the thread was about cloaks etc.) and Stew posted a simple solution which seems to work fine, so just for my reference, and for the benefit of anyone else who stumbles upon this one, I'll paraphrase it here:
    For clarity, here's the example Stew posted
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41138&highlight=elves
    trying to click this kicks me back to the home page
    If I right-click the URL and "copy link" (Mac with Safari), open a new tab/window, paste the link into the address bar, CHANGE the /forum/ TO /community/ THEN hit enter, it takes me to the correct page and also sorts out the rest of the link (below is the resulting URL)
    https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/elvenising-my-equipment.41138/
    Thanks to Stew for this one
    Cheers
    Simon

#9 SimonL, Aug 16, 2019 at 9:22 PM
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 9:38 PM
    Toddy likes this.
  10. SimonL

SimonL Full Member

Changed the title of the thread to more accurately reflect the issue/solution