Possable Hammoch Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
If you have been following the recent hammock threads you will know that I have tried a parachute silk hammock in an Ecosystem type set up. I am very pleased with it and was looking at trying to make a couple of extra but in searching for the "silk" I discovered it was cheaper to buy the hammocks from the manufacturer. There is of course a catch, I have to buy 50 and the manufacturer is in Bali. However if I buy 50 it works out at about £10 each for the double size (which is the best size for our purposes). That is the price delivered to me. There MAY be import duties on this but at the worst possable case I would think the price posted to you, including packaging, PayPal etc may get as high as £20 (still a saving of £15 on buying in the UK). Most likely the cost would be nearer £15.

Below is the link to the manufacturers site and the relavent page

http://www.hammock-nsl.com/h_double/h_double_index.htm

I am not trying to make money on this. The only advantage for me is that I will end up with some at a good price, the same as you. I am willing to take up to 10 as I am confident I have enough friends and family that would want one to use that number.

Now the disclamers. I have not actually seen any of these hammocks but suspect that this is the manufacturer that supplies this style of hammock to many different suppliers. If this is the case my experiance of these hammocks is that they are well made and robust. The width is always about 2m but the lenth can vary from 2.8m -3.2m so this may be a consideration if you intend to use it under a tarp (In saying this mine is 3.2m long but because of the "sloop" is still well protected by a 3m tarp). The order for these would be for all one colour which is likely to be Silver dark / Green bottle which MAY look like this in action.

hammock1.jpg

hammock2.jpg

So the colours are pretty subdued. NOTE the hammocks do not come with hanging ropes. Only loops and hooks at the end.

So who would be interested and in how many? I am just gauging interest at this stage so there is no commitment at this stage.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'll take one
after looking at the website, it looks like i have one already. it's identical to one i picked up in belgium. i'll still have one though

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
2 please. Great job you're doing!
How about a group purchase of IMS next?
Do you think they'll be here for the meet? Can't wait to see your modifications. Was it you who recommended the Mears mosquito net?
See you soon.
George :)

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Full rate of Duty 12%
Preferential rate for Indonesia 9.6% with suitable certificate of origin.
Documentary proof of origin required in both cases.
Duty value based on purchase price abroad converted to pounds sterling plus the costs to insurance and freight to EC.
On top of both purchase price, costs to EC, post landing charges and duty is the Vat at 17.5%.

If imported by post then there are the flat rates of Duty and VAT that the post office can charge plus the Post Offices own charge.
If the goods are imported as part of a groupage load then carefully check the freight, insurance, post landing charges, and post landing agency clearance charges.
These can easily add up and can double or treble the cost of small consignments.

Ignoring the costs of freight a 10 pound item
plus 9.6% duty 10.96
plus vat 17.5% 12.87

If freight and insurance was £250 (cheap) on 50 items total value £500
Value for duty £750.00
duty at 9.6% £72.00
value for VAT £822.00
Vat at 17.5% £143.85
Totals cost freight ins duty vat £965.85
(There maybe also be post landing and agent charges).

cost per item 965.85/50 = £19.31

JUST BE VERY CAREFULL AND CHECK AND RECHECK YOUR COSTS BEFORE YOU GO AHEAD.

MagiKelly

KIMBOKO said:
Full rate of Duty 12%
Preferential rate for Indonesia 9.6% with suitable certificate of origin.
Documentary proof of origin required in both cases.
Duty value based on purchase price abroad converted to pounds sterling plus the costs to insurance and freight to EC.
On top of both purchase price, costs to EC, post landing charges and duty is the Vat at 17.5%.

If imported by post then there are the flat rates of Duty and VAT that the post office can charge plus the Post Offices own charge.
If the goods are imported as part of a groupage load then carefully check the freight, insurance, post landing charges, and post landing agency clearance charges.
These can easily add up and can double or treble the cost of small consignments.

Ignoring the costs of freight a 10 pound item
plus 9.6% duty 10.96
plus vat 17.5% 12.87

If freight and insurance was £250 (cheap) on 50 items total value £500
Value for duty £750.00
duty at 9.6% £72.00
value for VAT £822.00
Vat at 17.5% £143.85
Totals cost freight ins duty vat £965.85
(There maybe also be post landing and agent charges).

cost per item 965.85/50 = £19.31

JUST BE VERY CAREFULL AND CHECK AND RECHECK YOUR COSTS BEFORE YOU GO AHEAD.

Thank you. I was going to look at the levels of Tax but you have saved me that. However you have misread my origianal post. The cost to me INCLUDING delivery and insurance is £10 each, so if your figures are right even with Duty at 10% then VAT on top we are looking at less than £13. This is why I am hopefull for a price including PayPal fees and postage in the region of £16. If we are lucky with duty and VAT then hopefully less and if it goes really pear shaped I would still hope that it would not go above the £20. I would prefer people to order on the basis of paying £20 that way they will not be disappointed but hopefully the actual cost will be less. Trust me the last thing I want to do is have to come back saying the hammocks are costing more than I estimated.

Your shipping cost is pretty acurate. The postage is pretty much the same as the hammocks themselves. I think the delivery is likely to be by courier as the weight of the package is only 33ks so hardly a container load.

Thanks again for finding this information.

MagiKelly

Big Geordie said:
2 please. Great job you're doing!
How about a group purchase of IMS next?
Do you think they'll be here for the meet? Can't wait to see your modifications. Was it you who recommended the Mears mosquito net?
See you soon.
George :)

I can't even begin to imagine the paperwork in a IMS group buy so no you will need to find your own.

I use the Mears mosquito net but have not tried any others. The Mears one works so you could call that a recommendation but I have no reason to believe that other options may not work as well.

Tarp wise I have used a 3 x 2.5m Kathmandu Basha and also the Hennessy Hex Fly. Both do the job and keep you dry. They are about the same price and on balance I would probably choose the Hex for use with the hammock although the Basha is probably more flexable as a shelter.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
I'll take 2, if the price stays under £20.

I hope you like sorting, packing, chasing people, matching PayPal payments from a completely different email address and name without mentions of username, etc etc :D Been there, done that!

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Sorry, I did misread your thread, its too early for me.
With delivery included, the cost shouldnt be more than £13 each to your address, then add the cost to post in UK.

Nick P

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
2, please. Bit of a bargain, and support for a Balinese industry selling summat other than bl**dy sarongs! Bonus.

Thanks for doing this. I know what a PITA it can be...

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE