"poppers" for belt to swap buckles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BeerHunter

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2012
England
Hi all, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I did have a search...

Anywho, I've ordered a leather strap to try making a belt. I want to be able to swap buckles, so I was intending to use poppers to form the loop that will keep the buckle on ( if that makes sense).

A - can anyone point me to a supplier of such items? I want them to be good quality, as I want the thing to last. I believe the strap will be circa 3mm thick

B - does any one have a better alternative solution to the poppers?

C - what's the neatest tool for making the holes for the buckle "tang"? A hollow punch? I want this to look as neat as possible too.

Much obliged to you.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Back in 1998 I bought a leather belt from Celtic Leathers which come with two poppers on it so I could put interchangeable buckles on it, never had a problem with them coming undone.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
I think there are poppers and then there are poppers Dean. I bought some cheap off ebay and the one on my axe mask kept coming undone a couple of weekends ago tapping, not hammering, a wooden peg into the ground. I'll be sourcing some better ones to replace it.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Your local sewing shop will have the kits. You will need the fitting punches and the hole punch that come in the kits as you can not fit poppers without the proper punches for the size of poppers you are using.
Where are you? have you a sailmakers nearby? They will fit a couple of sets for you.
I usually have poppers in stock (sail quality) but as I say you will need the fitting kit.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I think there are poppers and then there are poppers Dean. I bought some cheap off ebay and the one on my axe mask kept coming undone a couple of weekends ago tapping, not hammering, a wooden peg into the ground. I'll be sourcing some better ones to replace it.
In the context of use (all but 100% side strain only) you won't have a problem even if the snap fasteners are very light in grip.

I have a 30-year old belt made by "Horseshoe Leather" that is of this design and uses two small fasteners stacked vertically. It's never let go in all that time when used in anger and I swear a baby could pull them undone when changing buckles they are that poor of grip. That's my experience but others may disagree.

K

Last edited:

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Thanks all for the replies.

Re the holes to adjust the waist size - is a hollow punch the normal tool to use?

Yes, get the right size one for the tongue of the belt, I usually put the tongue down the hole to check the size when doing saddlery work. If you punch through from the `inside` it gives better results when using the buckle.
Most punches are slightly tapered.
One of the heavy duty saddlery rotary punches are good and will give you a range of sizes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE