Poncho Tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I've heard alot of chatter about Poncho Tarps lately. Are they any good? They seem light and multi-purpose but are they actually comparable to a normal tarp. I always assumed they'd be a bit small and that the guy attachment points might not be up to much.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
There must be a reason why most armies have dropped the whole poncho idea and replaced it with a dedicated set of waterproofs and a tarp (basha).

Probably the reason for dedicated waterproofs isn't quite so important for bushcraft, but the reason for the basha being that much larger than the poncho it replaces is.

That said, we used to have to fit two people under each poncho, and i survived (and that was in the day of feather filled sleeping bags and no bivvi bags). It just wasn't very comfortable/luxurious (even for one person), so in bushcraft when i can make the rules, i'd always go for a much larger tarp!

leon-1

There must be a reason why most armies have dropped the whole poncho idea and replaced it with a dedicated set of waterproofs and a tarp (basha).

Probably the reason for dedicated waterproofs isn't quite so important for bushcraft, but the reason for the basha being that much larger than the poncho it replaces is.

That said, we used to have to fit two people under each poncho, and i survived (and that was in the day of feather filled sleeping bags and no bivvi bags). It just wasn't very comfortable/luxurious (even for one person), so in bushcraft when i can make the rules, i'd always go for a much larger tarp!

The army was still using dedicated waterproofs and poncho's for years (long before we got Gore-tex), we used to get issued those horrible PVC crisp bags.

Poncho's were good, they acted as a bergan cover, a basha and waterproofs all in one. They were strong enough that you could fill them with spoil and drag it away without being too worried about ripping them.

They did have draw backs, have you ever tried getting to webbing pouches whilst wearing one. Shooting in them wasn't ideal either. They did used to wet out and anything that touched them got wet, so if you had an old one you were gonna get wet anyway. They have a hood and this obscures your vision / hearing, but if you left the hood down then you got a wet head and it ran down inside your clothing, so even if you had a new one you were gonna get wet anyway.

But most of these drawbacks were related to military life.

The new bashas are not as strong, but they are lighter and larger. The goretex that I was issued with last had no external pockets and it was a nause to get to anything inside, but I could. I could open the pouches on my webbing without a problem and shooting was no problem.

If you like the idea of ponchos try one out for a while and see you think:)

Reactions: LarryBass

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
one point for the first time user:

I've been using a poncho for around 20 years and recently changed to the MOD DPM shelter sheet.

the poncho is unrivaled in it's multi-usefulness but it's down fall is it's multiuse!

consider this scenario which has happened to me many times:

It's raining, you are dry under your poncho, but you need to gather firewood(or some other outside task) do you:

1. take down your shelter and wear it?
(i.e. your kit gets wet but you stay dry)
or
2. leave your shelter and get wet?

(i.e. you get wet but your kit stays dry)

Poncho's only work if you have waterproofs as well!

This makes the "poncho as a coat" pointless,
if you have waterproofs you don't need the hood in the poncho,
so you may as well use a hood-less tarp.

of course the answer is to carry 2 ponchos.
1 as a roof, 1 as a groundsheet or coat.

Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I also carry a poncho rather than a basha for it's multi-use, the italian poncho wets through relatively quickly compared to the heavier British issue ones. But it does pack down very small yet is big enough for my partner and I to sleep under with decent space, too.

It is a nice balance between waterproof/bulk.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I carry a tarp and a poncho.
I use a ventile windshirt (from winds-west) which will keep out most of the bad weather I might encounter, but the poncho goes on when it gets really bad.
It mainly gets used for impromptu lunch shelter, or as extra protection for the tarp in really bad weather. (It gets rigged up as a windbreak more often than not)
It's useful, but I wouldn't use it as my primary shelter.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I quite like my poncho. Its useable, VERY robust, multi-purpose and suits me as a primary shelter. I do pack a very light waterproof just in case I have to leave 'cover' to go collect wood.

Its just nice to have that option and try something different now and again. Its not as if a 58 pattern is going to set you back much is it.

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01052.jpg

Last edited:

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Anyone got any further recommendations/ suggestions for the best types of issue poncho? I've heard that the Italian army ones are good because they are very lightweight; rubberized German ones good because they're virtually indesctructible and unlikely to let water in. Also heard that the (genuine) US army ones are good since they're light, tough and have a waist drawstring to minimise flapping. I'm looking to get one (got a cheapo Highlander) so woudl appreciate anyone's experiences with issue types...

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Cheers for the links Mark - I reckon a ventile one is beyond my budget! I checked the DD one a while ago (being a satisfied hammock customer) but it's pretty heavy at 1kg as is the '58 pattern. However a difference of 500g compared to other 'lightweight' versions isn't really that much I guess; thanks for the tips

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
What about clipping it onto a 58 pat sleeping bag anyone got any pics of this setup?

I was issued 58" gear webbing sleeping bag poncho etc etc. back in 91!
I don't think I ever came across anyone that poppered the poncho to the sleeping bag.

the thing was we were taught to pair up or "buddy" so it was normal for 2 men to share a poncho, that way if one man cooks the other can keep his rifle trained on the direction of the enemy.

I guess the theory is it works a little like a bivi bag, but very badly, you'd get soaked in sweat. if raining heavily you'd get puddles forming on the poncho edges which could end up going through the hood (if you're unlucky).

much safer to make a simple tent shaped shelter, you only need a couple of 18" sticks 6 pegs and 2 strings/cords.

Last edited:

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
Thanks for the advice, i see what you mean about puddles building up as it would not sit taught with it being attached to the foot bit.

I'll just get a tarp.

NGM6456

Mar 24, 2014
United Kingdom
I am a fan of the Poncho Tarp. My solution is to have two ponchos, one I use as a ground sheet the other as a tarp (either lean-to or A-frame style depending on situation/terrain), so if it is raining and I have to venture outside of the tarp I can wear the one used as a ground sheet. Simples!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE