Plywood canoe kits - what are people's thoughts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
I'm really interested in building a canoe as a father-son project with my son. What are people's thoughts on these kits? http://canoekits.co.uk/gallery (hope links are ok)

I'm thinking as a first project, the Peacemarsh 14. Seems as if it would be a reasonably simple project. I'm planning on using tarps in the back yard (I have a 8x6 shed because this is the largest size the housing association allows) to create an enclosure for building. This kit seems like we could get it waterproofed quickly as long as we build when we've got a couple of clear days.

I'm only planning on using it on the canal and small lakes at this point. I was a very proficient canoeist in my youth, although that was more in kayaks. I'd like to relearn those skills while teaching my son who's 17. When I'm confident I'll likely look to build something more ambitious like a cedar strip canoe but I think that might be a bit much for a first project. I'd be interested to see if anyone has done anything similar and whether there are any particular pitfalls to watch out for.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
It'll be grand for pootling about although a 14 footer with two people and a bit of kit might be getting near the top end of it's capacity. SotP has a self build section which might be helpful http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php/27-Self-build-Canoes

I've never built one but most of the guys on SotP that have have a rare old time. Go for it, even if you only go out in it a couple of times the build will be a good experience and it wont have cost you much!

Cheers
Alan

Reactions: paulds

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check out the links. I'm working on the idea that I can create templates from the kit to make an additional canoe/spare parts in order to make any adaptions that I think will help.

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
So instead of ordering a kit I've gone for the Selway Fisher raven plans. I'll buy the ply and epoxy kit myself. More work but I'm not in a hurry to build it.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have only just seen this thread...
I had a Birch Creek Malamut that I helped build - my boss did the majority of the work in lieu of wages - and I loved it!
I used it as my Guide boat on trips on the Tivy, as my general purpose boat for up to grade 2 white water and for sea paddling up to 1 mile off shore.
I had it rigged for sailing as well as paddling and it was a dream to use in all sorts of conditions - either solo (my preferred style) or with a companion in the front seat. It saw service for at least 10 years but eventually developed dry rot under the deck plates that spread under the glass sheathing and (as I did not have the time, skills or will to do a major rebuild) I passed it on for peanuts to another canoe paddler...
I still miss her...

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
That's shame John, sounds like you could do with another canoe! I intend this as a Father-Son project, I was a highly proficient canoeist in my youth and would love to eventually have some canoe camping expeditions. This will be intended to teach my son about canoes as well as how to canoe. I'm sure that I'll build at least one more after this as I become more proficient in the building of it.

I'm going for a 14' canoe on this build mainly to make it more transportable on a hatchback. I'll be using it on the local canal and local small boating lakes. The canoe after this will be aimed at being more robust for larger lakes and rivers but I don't want to get ahead of myself. I really miss canoeing, like many people I left it behind in my youth and wish I hadn't. Time to correct that mistake.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
If he's 17, get it done quick, my lad is 20 and I barely see him now he's away at university. I've been teaching him too while he's 'been between girlfriends' (another big time sink!) and have only managed a couple of sessions this year! The nice weather in July let us cover the rescue side of things;

30517517438_7bdda8b99d_b.jpg

But his paddling's coming on fine,

43477381955_337c1a52b0_b.jpg

him solo on a river is next....

Cheers,
Alan

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
Nice, love it. I think where his interest will come in is the fact that he goes to the gym 4/5 days a week so he sees it as really good exercise. He seems keen enough at the moment but you know teenagers, even if we get started next week his interest level will ebb and flow. One thing's for sure, he'll be interested in the pictures of him carrying the canoe on his own for his instagram and the manly canoe selfies. Hopefully we'll end up with a canoe each in the long term.

Reactions: Chainsaw

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That's shame John, sounds like you could do with another canoe! I intend this as a Father-Son project, I was a highly proficient canoeist in my youth and would love to eventually have some canoe camping expeditions. This will be intended to teach my son about canoes as well as how to canoe. I'm sure that I'll build at least one more after this as I become more proficient in the building of it.

I'm going for a 14' canoe on this build mainly to make it more transportable on a hatchback. I'll be using it on the local canal and local small boating lakes. The canoe after this will be aimed at being more robust for larger lakes and rivers but I don't want to get ahead of myself. I really miss canoeing, like many people I left it behind in my youth and wish I hadn't. Time to correct that mistake.
My canoeing days are behind me now - wrecked knees, SI joint and shoulder caused by decades of having too much fun!
I was a level 4 open canoe coach, leading expeds around the world and had my own canoe coaching business for a while as well as freelancing - at one point my fleet numbered eight boats, all between 15 and 16 footers (best for tracking, solo/double work and carrying big loads IMHO) but my ply boat was always the nicest :)

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
I sympathise John. I suppose an outboard motor isn't the same really. I'll know who to come to for advice though that's for sure

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE