Places to shop for kit in Hants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cybercurly

Jun 12, 2013
basingstoke
Hi all,

I've been bitten by the whittling bug and I'm working on my first spoon! This (ahem!) three month project is, I'm sure, teaching me some valuable lessons. Not least, the importance of decent tools. I have a really nice Ben Orford hook knife, brought to me by a forum member, but my old Mora general purpose knife is a little unwieldy.

So, now I'm looking for an half decent sloyd and maybe a little axe .. but is there anywhere you can buy over the counter? Nothing quite like being able to hold it in your hand and see how it feels, is there? Can't do that on the tinterweb.

I'm based in Hampshire, near Basingstoke, so any pointers to local places would be great.

Cheers

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The internet is your best option, if you want a decent sloyd knife buy a blade from one of the makers on here (nic westerman, hillbill etc) and stick your own custom handle on it.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Don't know of any local'ish places myself so interested to hear also if there are any I've overlooked !

Usually pick stuff up at shows, Wilderness Gathering etc, or watch the forum classifieds for stuff, if I get something that doesn't work for me then I can always sell it on again I guess, hasn't happened yet though, stuff seems to just accumulate :)

Cheers, Paul

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
. How's the knife going ?.
We will be with you tomorrow hopefully mark . And have you tried camouflage corner in Basingstoke . It's tucked in behind the Haymarket theatre in town .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For the axe go to the Weald and Downland museum. For a knife talk to FYGT (Duncan) - he's not that far from you and could make what you need

cybercurly

Jun 12, 2013
basingstoke
good tips all, thanks.

cheers for the Mora, Paddytray, 'tis well sharp! We shall compare spoons tomorrow.

And a trip to the Weald and Downland is well overdue, British Red - thanks for the reminder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE