Pitching a Helsport varanger?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
How long does it take and how easy is it to pitch a Helsport Varanger, and does anyone use the inner/groundsheet.

The videos I have found, just seem to show the tent laid out in a rough circle, then the outer is pulled taught on the ground, ground pegs hammered in, the pole raised, and the ground peg webbing tightened.

It all looks remarkably quick and easy. On my Tentipi, even with the central peg and tape arrangement to position the pegs , I find it needs a lot of fiddling to get it pitched properly, and even more fiddling to get the door to open and close properly. And in practice needs all the pegs put in, before I feel it looks properly pitched.

So I am interested in how easy people find the Varanger to pitch, especially from anyone who can compare experience of the Varanger and a Tentipi.

Many thanks,

Graham

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Yep, it is that simple:

myvaranger8106.jpg

My Varanger 8-10.

5 mins to unpack, peg out and raise on my own.

2 minutes with 2 people.

Add another 5 mins to set out the guylines and your done.

I don't have an inner or groundsheet for mine.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Its a doddle to be honest. I just start at the door (red webbing loop for ease of identification) and work round. I peg out the main seam points then shove the pole in. Then i go round and put in the mid points and tighten of with the webbing pull straps. As with all things you learn the little things as you go along but even first time was easy. Not used a tentipi. Love the look of them but wouldnt like to dry a wet one :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
That was a quick reply, thanks Martin/Paul.

i know its implied in your answer, but it seems neither of you have a problem getting the shape right, when you peg out the base.

I found with my last Tipi (not the Tentipi) f I pegged out the base tightly, I couldn't raise the pole, so I needed to guess the amount of slack needed and then lift the pole. Then I had problems getting equal tension on the panels, pegging out one panel so it was taught, would slacken off another and I drive myself mad going round and round the tent trying to get it right.

As you suggest it gets better with practice, so did either of you have similar problems until you learnt how to do it. It does seem you didn't. Which is good to hear.

Cheers,

Graham

P.S. strangely the most difficult part on the Tentipi to dry out seems to be the nylon skirt, which once soaked takes much longer to dry than the polycotton main tent.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
All lavvu type tents need an element of setback but its pretty small with the varanger. its the four corners where i build in a little slack. ive never had to measure the setback like i do on my kifaru and seekoutside lavvus so that in itself tells a story but yes if you peg it completely tight it will be a job to get the pole in. thats where the webbing adjustable straps really help though.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
All lavvu type tents need an element of setback but its pretty small with the varanger. its the four corners where i build in a little slack. ive never had to measure the setback like i do on my kifaru and seekoutside lavvus so that in itself tells a story but yes if you peg it completely tight it will be a job to get the pole in. thats where the webbing adjustable straps really help though.

That is interesting, and does explain the impression given on the videos

As an aside, how do you rate the Helsport against the Kifaru and seek outside. The kifaru have always looked delightfully simple in design, and I think the set back is now marked on the seams rather than measuring it with a peg.

Thanks,

Graham

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I had mine up at the weekend. For the size it really is very quick and simple for the size.

I tried the tentipi style string layout but found it does not work well.

Just roughly peg out in shape. Make sure the top hat is untangled. Stick the pole in. ( if using floor and inner put floor down then slip pole through inner before there is tension on the pole. Two people help with this step.) Go round outside and maybe move the of peg a bit to line up with corners then put them in well.

Move around each corner adding some tension to each peg in turn. Don't fully tighten one then the next. Keep moving round adding a bit more tension till it is nice and tight. Then add mid panel pegs. ( go inside and snap in the inner and fully righten top straps then use bottom straps to get the inner nice and tight) add guys as needed.

In summary it's very quick and simple really. The inner is the but that adds a little complication. It would be better if it could be completely unzipped so the pole does not have to be put through the inner.

Some things I have discovered. At 5, 7 I need a plastic step to clip top part of inner. Its tricky to reach some guys and tighten the top hat holding guy. The top hat works well but does take some working out. Also it some times gets a bit crinkled up which is hard to sort out when set up.

A great tent with lots of character.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
That is interesting, and does explain the impression given on the videos

As an aside, how do you rate the Helsport against the Kifaru and seek outside. The kifaru have always looked delightfully simple in design, and I think the set back is now marked on the seams rather than measuring it with a peg.

Thanks,

Graham

I like them all a lot but i have now sold my varanger and have my kongsvold up for sale currently. The kifaru and seek are a fair bit lighter and less bulky and i want hot tents i can take on expedition easily. As a uk base camp you wont beat a helsport in my opinion. Very well made, plenty of room and laugh at the worst of uk weather.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Some things I have discovered. At 5, 7 I need a plastic step to clip top part of inner. Its tricky to reach some guys and tighten the top hat holding guy.

i have some issues with the top hat on the tentipi not closing properly, and the opening for the stove pipe is velcroed shut, so difficult to deal with either to open or close depending on what you are doing with the stove. I have just bought one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEW-Superior-Foot-Work-Platform/dp/B00864WGY0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_11

folds flat, but lets me reach the top hat and gives a really solid table for stoves, or a worktop, I intend adding a shelf across the step part. Much more solid than any of the camping tables/ stove supports and gives me the extra height I need. Mind you on the Tentipi, I can still only just reach the bits I need to. They vary quite a lot in hieight so you need to check the height you need before buying.

I also have the same problem as you with the upper guys. If I don't unravel them before pitching, I can't reach them.

thanks,

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I like them all a lot but i have now sold my varanger and have my kongsvold up for sale currently. The kifaru and seek are a fair bit lighter and less bulky and i want hot tents i can take on expedition easily. As a uk base camp you wont beat a helsport in my opinion. Very well made, plenty of room and laugh at the worst of uk weather.

Thanks Paul, useful to know.

cheers,

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Interesting. I'm using this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004W0EO06/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378720560&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Mainly because we have one in the kitchen. Its handy but only just tall enough.

Yep once the varanger it up I can just about get the middle guys with some balancing but the top ones are possible for me. It is quite stable without guys though

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

yep, I have a couple of these, but no where near high enough for the Tentipi 9 not for me at 5' 10" anyway.

I find the Tentipi panels billow too much for me unless I have everything pegged out. And after having the pole bend into a banana shape on one unexpected windy night ( with everything pegged out properly) I am a bit paranoid about having every peg in, regardless of the weather.

Cheers,

Graham

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
My Varanger (bought from BareThrills) I have put up twice. The first time was at home on out steeply sloping garden so was never going to be quite right and once in the fireld. Working from the instructions Paul gave me "start at the red loop then go to the back and put in a small bit of set back if you want but I don't bother then the pegs at seam points where they fall, pole in and adjust then peg the rest" pretty much worked although I would want to practice a few more times before doing it if breezy to get everything efficient between raising pole and fully pegged. Getting the camp entry sorted was a bigger faf than the tipi part.

Our Explorer Scouts have a big Tentipi and I have done that both with the string and pegging out on ground, it def needs setback and always needs loads of adjusting but a friend with smaller one just pegs on string and up his goes, then he walks round one tighten straps and all is done ready for guys.

The pole location in the top is def far easier on the helsport, I don't think I have ever got the big tentipi right first time and the Varanger pole is really clever, once you have the knack of putting it away right first, second or third time:)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks PeterH,

interesting comments,

With my Tentip CP 9, I use the guide to put the pegs in, then partially tighten up the webbing at opposing sides of the tent, then check the alignment of the webbing with the seams, which are never properly aligned, so I then repeg them, and then do the rounds again of tightening up the webbing.

Then repeg the door pegs as I can never get the door to close the first time after its opened.

it does sound as if the Helsports are a bit more forgiving in their pitching.

cheers,
Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE