pictures of 2 weeks of summer camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I'm back from camping on a farmer's land the past 2 weeks. First week was me and some of the organizers. Second week about 15 youngsters joined us to learn.

The pictures tend to speak for themselves, so I'll try to categorize my photo's with some explanation where necessary to make it more enjoyable.

Some fires and campcraft.

My new zebra pot was the most used piece of equipment in the camp. Never made an adjustable pot hanger like this so that was fun too.

Smoking eels over a fire, an experiment. Tasted strangely acidy this way, therefore the rest of them were baked in skillets. Which was delicious.

Here's what happens when your only pair of boots gets wet while chasing a bream with a landing net.

Carved a bow drill set out of willow. Surprisingly it gave fire immediately. I taught a few friends this skill over the course of the encampment and gifted it to a good friend who wanted to practice it at home.

Cookies

Caught dragonfly

Willow whistle. Taught a bunch of 10 year olds to do this who really enjoyed it. The adults who had to deal with the noise less so.

Hamburgers

Big skies:

A hunter came by and gave us 16 canada geese to butcher and eat.

Some greenwood carving, this one by a friend

My little effort:

There was a workshop in hammock making, which was very interesting.

Unidentified spiders for harvestman. This one was under the ground sheet of a teepee.

This white one was found under ground while digging for worms.

Well, what a great time I had. I'd never camped out for this long, and they were the best 2 weeks of my life so far. I didn't miss any aspect of urban life whilst camping out. I can't wait until a new adventure presents itself.:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Welkom thuis, great to hear from you. Only 5 pictures are showing, the rest are little black boxes with a white cross.

ATB,
GB

18:58 - most pics working now..

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I can see all the pictures, though I had to refresh a few times before I could see them all. My computer is slow.

Love the pictures, and very envious of you with your baked eels and geese.

First spider is the common garden spider, Araneus diadematus, male.
Second is more difficult. Definitely a Theridiid (Comb-foot spider), but not really possible to say the species for certain without examining the specimen.

Nice to have you back on the forum though :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Welcome home! Glad you had a great time away, and it looks like your knives got used well, too...........I'm just wondering how that farmer makes a living growing tyres; where does he get the seeds from?..atb mac

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Very nice pics! Looks like you had a great time. Those pictures of the sunsets are wonderful. And it looks like you all ate very well...16 geese! Wow! :)
Cheers
Alex

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

How did the goose taste?

It depended on the way we cooked it. Long period cooking in a Dutch oven makes the breast meat and goose legs nice and tender. Heart and liver were very tasty just grilled, and the stomachs were chewy and unpleasant. Despite our efforts to clean them.

To be honest, goose meat is worth next to nothing here. People aren't used to eating it, which is a real shame because if you cook it right it makes a great meat. The hunters usually end up having to throw away most of what they shoot. The hunter had shot 81 geese that day with his hunting group. Estimates of geese numbers range from from 800000 to 1,2 million. And the government intends to cut this back to 200000, which is why so many of them are being shot.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great photos Niels.

Over here goose fat is prized - it makes the nicest roast spuds. The livers make a great pate too. I find it a little fatty so tend to mince it. A burger of goosemeat is lovely because the fat bastes the meat.

Great to see people out there doing it with game meat

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It looks like you were smoking the ells over pine wood and maybe because of their fat content they were picking up acrid smoke from the pine. Not really a fan on pine for non-pan cooking due to this. Still good experiment though. Haven't had eel in ages. Lovely food.

Did you make that hammock by the way? Excellent job.

You and your pal's spoons are great too. I do like the way he's used the heartwood in the final design.

I take it you were using your lovely knives to prepare the geese?

ATB,
Colin.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It looks like you were smoking the ells over pine wood and maybe because of their fat content they were picking up acrid smoke from the pine. Not really a fan on pine for non-pan cooking due to this. Still good experiment though. Haven't had eel in ages. Lovely food.

Did you make that hammock by the way? Excellent job.

You and your pal's spoons are great too. I do like the way he's used the heartwood in the final design.

I take it you were using your lovely knives to prepare the geese?

ATB,
Colin.

That's very well possible indeed. We were using pine, and apple. I didn't make the hammock as I was helping out kids with their spoons and I don't have space in my garden for one anyway. I was using the bigger knife, I sold the smaller one to a fellow who also attended the camp. His knife has really been initiated now:)

There is a major disadvantage to all this bushy camping though. I don't feel at home in my house anymore. I'm feeling completely displaced in my home village.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmmm yup your body gets used to the rhythms of camp life very easily. Recon the only thing to tempt me back to the house is a bath. (Though with a tin bath in the Tipi, Frontier stove and a JOMPY, I could be in there).

When do you start back at school? That'll get you used to daily rhythms again.:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE