Physical conditioning with heavy backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all. Now that I've done this years heavy work at the allotmont, my mum can now take over with the planting and such like and I can begin to train for my upcoming Pennine Way unsupported walk.

Well training began today with an 8.9 (measured it in google earth) mile walk carrying a 28kg (61lb) ALICE pack wearing shorts, british army coolmax t-shirt and Merrel chameleon blast3 shoes, and I must say after 2 miles it was pretty hellish with the first casualty being the uncomfortable albeit not too painful chaffing and pressure on the shoulders, then my right foot blistered slightly, then my left ankle started to play up, however the ankle discomfort seemed to dissapear after a couple of miles. The last 1.5 mile was truly atrocious as my legs were really fatiguing and the shoulder strap discomfort was becoming unbearable however all that being said I completed the walk in 3 hours 20 minutes and I'm happy that I pushed myself to my current limits and apart from the blister on the right foot my muscles feel rested now. As soon as the blister heals I'm going to try for 12 miles and gradually work my way up to 22 miles as that is what I plan to cover per day during the PW trip.

One thing I found out is that the tendency to "double-over" while carrying a heavy pack is no good when you are training. I found remaining erect and "leading with the hips" really hit the hip flexor and upper leg muscles like nothing I've ever experienced before. I not only want to achieve 22 miles, but to do it comfortably so I'm not always half breathing due to my chest cavity being compressed by the weight of the pack.

I do wonder if another pack would be more comfortable, though I'm assuming when you reach past the 25kg mark any pack becomese uncomfortable. I usually pack my ALICE to 23kg and find it a pleasure to use. I guess the fitter I get the more comfortable the 28kg will feel.

My current kit weighing frenzy has got my PW packing list to 24kg and 277 grams but I chose to train with 28kg to make up for the fact that I'm not climbing hills all the time, and I really want the 24kg to feel light.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
By unsupported do you mean that you will not be reprovisioning on route? If you are buying food on the way the pack seems really heavy.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I'm carrying all the food I'll be eating.

why on earth would you do such a thing?!?!?!? your pack is enormously heavy, i wouldn't want to carry that for more than a couple of miles, and i'm a relatively fit bloke with more than a few backpacking miles under my belt.

also, ALICE pack, honestly? are you wanting to hurt yourself?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Before the arctic course this year, I was training with 40l of water and 10kg of dumbell weights so I knew I could carry my gear on my back if I needed to. All carried quite ably and reasonably comfortably in a Sabre 130.

When I say comfortable, the pack never hurt at all and felt like it could take more, but the pack never got lighter after a few weeks of carrying it and my legs shake at the memory;they never found it comfortable!

Trying to lift it on was 'interesting' :)

Sounds like your carrying 14kg odd of food?

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I was in the Lake District for a couple of weeks camping and walking with my then 8 year old son 3 years ago. I had to carry a lot of his load too so my pack weight was up around the 28Kg mark. My pack was an Aarn Load Limo and I think it made a real difference. The Aarn packs distribute the load in the front of the body as well as the back and this encourages a more upright posture. The pack certainly felt heavy and I noticed the hills but it was still far more comfortable than a similar capacity pack that concentrated the weight on the back.

Cheers!

Huon

Hi all. Now that I've done this years heavy work at the allotmont, my mum can now take over with the planting and such like and I can begin to train for my upcoming Pennine Way unsupported walk.

Well training began today with an 8.9 (measured it in google earth) mile walk carrying a 28kg (61lb) ALICE pack wearing shorts, british army coolmax t-shirt and Merrel chameleon blast3 shoes, and I must say after 2 miles it was pretty hellish with the first casualty being the uncomfortable albeit not too painful chaffing and pressure on the shoulders, then my right foot blistered slightly, then my left ankle started to play up, however the ankle discomfort seemed to dissapear after a couple of miles. The last 1.5 mile was truly atrocious as my legs were really fatiguing and the shoulder strap discomfort was becoming unbearable however all that being said I completed the walk in 3 hours 20 minutes and I'm happy that I pushed myself to my current limits and apart from the blister on the right foot my muscles feel rested now. As soon as the blister heals I'm going to try for 12 miles and gradually work my way up to 22 miles as that is what I plan to cover per day during the PW trip.

One thing I found out is that the tendency to "double-over" while carrying a heavy pack is no good when you are training. I found remaining erect and "leading with the hips" really hit the hip flexor and upper leg muscles like nothing I've ever experienced before. I not only want to achieve 22 miles, but to do it comfortably so I'm not always half breathing due to my chest cavity being compressed by the weight of the pack.

I do wonder if another pack would be more comfortable, though I'm assuming when you reach past the 25kg mark any pack becomese uncomfortable. I usually pack my ALICE to 23kg and find it a pleasure to use. I guess the fitter I get the more comfortable the 28kg will feel.

My current kit weighing frenzy has got my PW packing list to 24kg and 277 grams but I chose to train with 28kg to make up for the fact that I'm not climbing hills all the time, and I really want the 24kg to feel light.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I do a similar training to keep fit, twice a week i do a 7 mile loop plenty of up and down part's with a plce bergen with 50lbs in it,though im not doing it for anything in particular just to stop me being to lardy arsed.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
why on earth would you do such a thing?!?!?!? your pack is enormously heavy, i wouldn't want to carry that for more than a couple of miles, and i'm a relatively fit bloke with more than a few backpacking miles under my belt.

also, ALICE pack, honestly? are you wanting to hurt yourself?

Why? Why not! I'm relishing in the thought of the challenge!
I defend the ALICE pack. I walked the first quarter of the PW with a 23kg ALICE and was running up the hills almost! One of our party members had a bust knee, hence the non-completion.
However the ALICE pack at 28kg earlier today was hellish for the last 2 miles, but I think any backpack would be at such a weight, no?

Sounds like your carrying 14kg odd of food?

Crickey, how the heck did you know! 13470 grams to be precise!

Before the arctic course this year, I was training with 40l of water and 10kg of dumbell weights so I knew I could carry my gear on my back if I needed to. All carried quite ably and reasonably comfortably in a Sabre 130.

Wait, you mean 40 liters of water being 40kg, plus another 10kg in dumbell iron? So 50kg in your Sabre 130?!

I had to carry a lot of his load too so my pack weight was up around the 28Kg mark. My pack was an Aarn Load Limo and I think it made a real difference.

Ok now I'm seriously doubting my ALICE pack. Maybe I will change packs afteral. It seems the ALICE is no good beyond 25kg (personal experience beginning to reveal the limitations of my kit!).
Luckily though my PW load is at 24kg so I should be just fine however you guys have got me wanting a new pack now, haha!

I do have an old Lowe Alpine civilian backpack, made when Lowe Alpine made their stuff in the UK, and it is a very nice pack so I might load that up on my next 28kg training day and see how it goes.

p.s all my weights include the weight of the ALICE itself (3kg).

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Carrying that much weight is certainly possible. Maybe even comfortable for a few miles. But to "comfortably" carry that much, for more than a few days, at that pace, you would need to weigh 121.387 kilos. Regardless of what pack you use.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Will you be wild camping every night, staying at a pub or campsite, passing any post offices at all?

On our TGO in May we sent food parcels to pick up at campsites every three or four nights, the most we ever carried was four days and one spare.

24kg would kill me after about three days, I was pretty sore and knackered carrying 8.2kg

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm no expert on carrying heavy loads long-distance, but doesn't the ALICE pack put most of the load on your shoulders, rather than splitting it between hips and shoulders like the best packs? Sounds uncomfortable to me!

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I'm no expert on carrying heavy loads long-distance, but doesn't the ALICE pack put most of the load on your shoulders, rather than splitting it between hips and shoulders like the best packs? Sounds uncomfortable to me!

Not at all! The ALICE pack does the hips/shoulder distribution thing very nicely! Shewie I did follow your last TGO, very insightful for me, but I really want to do the full walk unsupported.
I tell you though, that TeePee guy has got me seriously considering buying a Karrimmor Sabre after claiming he carried 50kg pretty comfortably in one!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not at all! The ALICE pack does the hips/shoulder distribution thing very nicely! Shewie I did follow your last TGO, very insightful for me, but I really want to do the full walk unsupported.
I tell you though, that TeePee guy has got me seriously considering buying a Karrimmor Sabre after claiming he carried 50kg pretty comfortably in one!

Best of luck with it then fella, if I'm in Hebden Bridge when you pass through I'll buy you a pint.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Not if:
A. You're short, or
B. You're very good at adjusting the suspension

That said I manage well with it (and like the pack very much) and I'm 6' 2." But I don't try to carry monster loads.

Oh, and IF you're carrying the "medium" ALICE without a frame, then there is NO waist belt and the entire load is on your shoulders.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Have a look at the ALICE thread started by Tengu. Near the end you'll see how Garethw set his up on a MOLLE frame with MSS carrier. That'll be a much more capable sytem than the stock ALICE.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Wait, you mean 40 liters of water being 40kg, plus another 10kg in dumbell iron? So 50kg in your Sabre 130?!...

I was thinking the same thing. Again carrying that weight is doable. But I think only Shrek would enjoy it.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Why? Why not! I'm relishing in the thought of the challenge!.......

fair enough then chap, all the best with that, i really do hope that you don't do any permanent damage to your ankles/knees/back/hips etc.

oh yeah, don't forget the photo's:)

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Doing the pennine with that sort of weight is certianly do-able, I was around 18-23kg in an old rucksack with no hip-pad [I was younger and alot fitter then] 4kg water, couple of kg food [I was re-supplying on the way] far too many clothes than I actually needed and other stuff I didn't really need, also OS maps for the enitre route - paper is damn heavy stuff when you've got a big block of it! Originally I planned to do it in 14 days but after a couple I was knackered and realised I wasn't enjoying it so slowed down, forgot about a time frame and started to enjoy the walk -after a week of walking I certianly felt even fitter - by the time I'd got to the end I thought about turning round and walking back!

If I was to do it again I'd really cut down the weight and have a much longer time frame and a better pack.

Also It is very nice to drop into a pub and get a nice good meal and a few pints.

Probably not much help but hey there you go! just have FUN and enjoy it - or there's no point.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I don't know what fitness level you are at already, But my advice is to build up slowly. If you have gone from average exercise to what you describe in one hit then you run the risk of picking up an injury sometime soon, and you won't be finishing the walk you are training for at all.....

There is a reason why the military don't hit recruits with the full length combat fitness test up to 8 miles (some units 10 miles), 25 kg, 2 hrs until a few months into training.

Take care and build up the weight slowly (the distance is less a worry), and give your body adquate time to recover between sessions. Don't just focus on bergen training, and do some serious stretching off after you complete each session otherwise your body won't get the full benefit, and you are even more likely to injure yourself...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE