Parsnip Seed Available

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Following the interest in the "Welsh Onion" seed, I thought I would offer up some more seed as it becomes available.

We produce our own parsnip seed - this was done by preserving heritage (true breeding) parsnips into their second year - and letting them raise their impressive flower spikes (now known as the "triffid parsnip" - thanks sandbender!)

8 foot parsnip by British Red, on Flickr

They were staked and the odd pest removed until they were all pollinated and turned to drying

Parsnip Seed Plant by British Red, on Flickr

The mature heads were then air dried inverted in the barn

Parsnip seeds drying by British Red, on Flickr

Finally we threshed them -

Parsnip Seed by British Red, on Flickr

Given these are a heritage variety (Tender & True), by growing them, its perfectly possible for you to do the same - and never buy parsnip seed again :)

However, the one thing with parsnip seed is it only keeps for a year or two, so you have to keep the cycle going. This being so, we have more than we need from this batch.

The seed is packaged in packs of at least 200 and come with full planting instructions - and even a little history :)

Parsnip Seed by British Red, on Flickr

How much? Well, as we discussed on the last thread, its just a packet of seeds, so no purchase price is needed. If you would like to make a small donation to cover postage and packing its greatly appreciated and I can buy more stamps and envelopes to keep doing this, I'll provide my PayPal address - but if you are skint, please, don't feel obliged - its enough that other people get a chance to grow their own.

If you want some, please make a post on this thread and PM me your address. I have about ten packets available

Red

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes please, but I'll need your PP again as I've just cleared my inbox...........PM inbound................................atb mac

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No problems guys - packed up and ready to post when I go for a stroll :)

Sandbenders are also packed up and I have reserved packets for Marco1981 and Wigate so.....5 left :)

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just to say Red was kind enough to furnish me with some of these last year and they are currently growing very nicely in my allotment.

Thanks again Red!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad to hear it Teedee - are you going to keep some over to next year to save your own seed?

To all those who have PMd me, I have your seeds packaged up but am having a mare of a day :( I'll get them to the post box as soon as I can - promise!)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Glad to hear it Teedee - are you going to keep some over to next year to save your own seed?

To all those who have PMd me, I have your seeds packaged up but am having a mare of a day :( I'll get them to the post box as soon as I can - promise!)

I hope to be able to do so. Seed Saving is something I need to master.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is the book that got me started on the subject Teedee

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Back-Garden-Seed-Saving-Vegetable/dp/1899233156

Very good book and we now produce a lot (but not all) of our own seed. We are still trying new varieties of some crops where we have not "settled" on the right strains for our environment - although we hope to become entirely self sufficient in seed over the next couple of years.

I need to invest in some progressive sieves for separating tiny seed from chaff (e.g. carrots), but I can usually "make do"

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks guys - I'll pack them up tonight for you

One more to go for anyone who wants them.......

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
You're a star buddy!!!
I've still got plenty that you sent me as i haven't the room to plant masses!!!
I just hope the seed will be good for next year and Ill plant some especially to go to seed!!!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Changing the subject slightly aherrm I'm after wild flower /cottage garden seeds if anyone has any?!?
I want to dedicate some of our garden to wildflowers...
dx

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mostly the flowers are BBs domain Dave, but one thing I can supply to anyone who want some are oriental poppy seeds - huge things and very beautiful. I save the seed for making seeded rolls, but it regrows beautifully when used as flower seed. They are actually papaver somniferum (opium poppies), but they are grown here just for their looks

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ooh yes please Hugh let me know what ya want costs etc..... no rush be next year now obviously... I presume they will self set?
d

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE