Paraffin vs Kerosene?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I have just bought a pressure lantern (tilley) it runs on both so they say but what is the difference and which is better?

Thanks Mark

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have just bought a pressure lantern (tilley) it runs on both so they say but what is the difference and which is better?

Thanks Mark

The cheapest one!!!
As far as I know, they are one and the same thing (ducks in preparation for the plethora of posts to the contrary) perhaps even UK/US "same but different" type of thing.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I think you're bob on Ogri, a much smarter man than I posted a link on SotP telling you different names for fuel round the world. I use paraffin from a garden centre for my Tilley.

Link here

Cheers,

Alan

king100

Nov 12, 2008
You have numerous types of heating oil that you can use.

They differ as follows.

Kerosene - also known as 28 secs oil(the time it takes to burn) home heating oil, domestic heating oil, kero.

Most commonly used in central heating systems, also can be used in AGAs and Rayburns. It tends to soot up your AGAs more that PBO aka paraffin.

They as most definately not the same product as some may have stated.

Parraffin is a premium burning oil that alot of people use in AGAs, its has a cleaner burn and is most definately not the same as kero.

Additives can be added to kero to give it a cleaner burn and a new product has come out that is the only product sanctioned by AGA called glowmax. It has an additive to make it cleaner and perform better than normal kero.

stevec038

Aug 11, 2008
Del City, OK, USA
I have a book by Showell Styles called "Backpacking A Comprehensive Guide" published in 1976. He recommeded Primus stoves and used the terms paraffin and kersone interchangebly. He is British, so apparently are the two fuels, just a little marketing talk on the packaging probably.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE