pagan/bushcraft wedding help!!!!!!!!1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
Hi guys i am getting married ( handfasting) in may and i am looking for something to wear, the ceromony is very earthy/ bushcrafty . roast hog and mead etc.... she is going to be in a green dress you know a bit of the lord of the ring rings style . very sexy to a bushcrafter...... me i dont know ???? help.. dont want to look a tit and dont want to go in my mesolithic get up ( not that i realy have one but you know what i mean). So any advice will be helpfull. Pics especialy welcome funny one's too.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
Hi guys i am getting married ( handfasting) in may and i am looking for something to wear, the ceromony is very earthy/ bushcrafty . roast hog and mead etc.... she is going to be in a green dress you know a bit of the lord of the ring rings style . very sexy to a bushcrafter...... me i dont know ???? help.. dont want to look a tit and dont want to go in my mesolithic get up ( not that i realy have one but you know what i mean). So any advice will be helpfull. Pics especialy welcome funny one's too.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Pics especialy welcome funny one's too.

You could always get one of these to wear :D

camotux.jpg

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You could go for something "historical" (saxon, viking, early fantasy, etc) to sort of match her dress. Or make a matching robe to her dress (unless you freak out at the notion of dressing the same way as pansies like Wille the C. and his merry men did).

Talk to people more involved, including the girl in question?

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. All the best to you and yours!

I got married on top of a hill in a very earthy ceremony by a minister (my wifes faith). We only had a few for the ceremony and we all stood in a circle with SWMBO and I in a circle where we said our vows and passed around (sunwise)a silver quaich with elderflower juice in it. We then passed around a wooden bowl filled with loose tree seeds and small packets of tree seeds (Birch and Scots Pine) and asked everyone to cast the seeds to the wind and take packets home with them to plant where they wished. We also had a wonderful lady who blessed it for us too.

I wore a kilt with a matching plaid (not the prissy style-more highlander style!) and SWMBO wore a gothic type gown. We then had a meal and a huge party with a rock band-not a traditional wedding by any sorts.

So if I was you and I take it your not Scottish how about a goatskin over the head shirt with a lace up neck? And some sort of moleskin trousers?

Good luck and do keep us informed.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
The last handfasting I went to the groom wore a dark green smock and a pair of brown trousers, I think both were made from Linen. No pics, they believed in the steal you soul stuff sorry.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Congratulations :)

A friend happened to be on a campsite during a Pagan wedding (which had been fully booked for the occasion, oops!) and he and those with him were invited to join in the proceedings. Still to this day he praises how friendly and welcoming the people were and says it was one of the most fun experiences of his camping days :)

No advice, just a little smile and a congratulations for not feeling pressured into something the majority of people would consider a 'normal' wedding! Hope it all goes perfectly for yourself and your wife-to-be :)

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I second the Kilt my wife is scottish and that is what she suggested
She even had me In one the last time we were over there. Looked
kind of funny with my Stetson and Boots

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Keep it basic.

Nude , with liberal dashings of blue woad and celtic runes.

you do know the binding agent in woed for painting on people was bull semen right?

hehe

i'd agree on the tunic and a cloak, would look rather fetching. you could get away with a kilt to in that setup and still look very presentable.
i've a friend who performs handfastings i'll go bug him about the rituals and general things he's seen!
pete

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
When we got Hand fasted I wore a kilt gilly shirt and waist coat

gatheringatRoughley9.jpg

We had a Green man cake :)

greenmancake1.jpg

cant find a photo of the little stone circle I built but it was four stones set at N, S, E & W. We only had a total of 9 adults 3 kids and two dogs, small and simple. The place we stayed at had no electricity (gas lighting) And NO phone signal :cool: no light pollution the stars at night were just fantastic.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
I think a nice navy blue suit with a crisp white shirt always looks nice. If you want to spruce it up a bit, perhaps a purple tie and maybe a matching handkerchief in your top pocket.

Don't forget, black shoes. A gentleman would never wear brown shoes to a wedding.

Hope this helps.

Martin :)

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I think a nice navy blue suit with a crisp white shirt always looks nice. If you want to spruce it up a bit, perhaps a purple tie and maybe a matching handkerchief in your top pocket.

Don't forget, black shoes. A gentleman would never wear brown shoes to a wedding.

Hope this helps.

Martin :)

Lets not forget your finest hi karate after shave,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Congratulations John, I hope it's an event to remember fondly and that married life suits you both :D

If the lady is wearing elf type attire why not wear something that will be comfortable and still look appropriate.
Trews, tunic, cloak, belt and pouch, cloak pin and belt fastenings and the like with a common theme ? Natural fibres, silk, linen, wool, leather, silver, our own rose gold or bronze.

Pick a tree, oak, holly, birch, elm, rowan.....and use that as your colour, motif and perhaps spiritual meaning.

If you choose a native tree then I can send you a shade card of the colours that I get from it. Fabric in all the natural dye colours can be obtained from the people who supply re-enactor's.
The leaf could be used to design the decoration of your belt and pouch and knife sheath, and if you used a knotwork incorporated into the design that could be used to create your cloak pin too.

I'm not offering to make the garments (kind of swamped just now ) but I'll happily draw out sketches and patterns for you, and give details of companies who would sell appropriate fabrics.
Depending on how keen you are, you could probably get everything made yourself or commissioned from folks on the forum. Shoes/ boots/ belt/ pouch/ sheath/ cloak pin......probably even a torc :D

Best of luck with it all,
cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE