Packing for a 2 week outing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I'm going to a local bushcraft event for 2 weeks. The first week isn't part of the actual youth camp/course, but I was allowed to camp there if I helped prepare:D So here's my kit:

1. Backpack. Unknown brand. Estimated content about 30-40 liters.
2. Dutch military gore-tex jacket. Doubles as a less than perfect pillow.
3. Toilet bag. Contains tooth brush, anti mosquito stuff, soap etc.
4. Self inflating sleeping mat from Lidl or Aldi or something. Works ok but it is bulky
5. Small supposedly 2 person tent that will only just fit me and the dog. (He's coming for a few days too:))
6. Sleeping bag. Comparable to the mat. It's huge and when I put it in my backpack there's no room left.
7. Pillow cover to stuff jacket into.
8. Hexi stove with fuel
9. Cooking oil. It's olive oil now, but I'll replace it with something else because it probably won't work with pancakes.
10. Water bottle
11. Water bottle
12. Nato water bottle
13. Crusader cup
14. Dutch army fork knife and spoon set.
15. Spoon knife
16. Axe
17. Ferrocerium rod
18. Cheap Led torch from action. Unreliable.
19. Leatherman fuse
20. Sheath knife
21. Folding saw
22. Cuts and splinters kit. Not that I'd ever cut myself but for helping others:eek:
23. Matches
24. More comprehensible FAK
25. Camera
26. Paracord for tying stuff to my backpack:pokenest:
27. Drawstring bag. To take fishing stuff
28. Telescopic spinning rod with reel
29. Fishing license
30. Fishing lures and floats.

I forgot my DC4 here. I'll most likely also bring a skillet, and I've ordered a zebra pot for cooking my meals in with more ease than the crusader cup. I'll still take that for drinking out of though.

Here's my backpack filled with all that stuff. I just have to tie together my sleeping bag and sleeping mat, and attach them to my backpack somehow.

Now here's a problem. I need to bring food for the first week as well. Kind of at a loss here as I've never had to pack food for such a long time. I'll probably end up stuffing the food into 2 drawstring bags as well and attaching those to the sides of my backpack. Here's what I've got so far:

1. Sachets of instant tomato soup.
2. Tin of sardines
3. Instant pancakes
4. Small jar of peanut butter
5. Small bottle of heinz tomato ketchup
6. 4 hamburgers that need to refrigerating
7. 2 instant nasi meals.
8. Crackers
9. Instant ravioli meal
10. Biscuits
11. Milk.

Aim of this post is not only to ask for tips but also to have it all written down makes it easier. It doesn't really all have to fit into one backpack but I just want to.:) And another question, how does one transport a fishing reel in a backpack without crushing it?

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'd throw an tarp in for an admin area for you and the dog...

It won't be much fun trying to cook if it's raining and he's in the tent with you :)

And if you've got shelters you can use already on site the tarp can be pitched over your tent as extra protection from sun/rain.

Oh and don't forget the dog food :lmao:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you are going to be static then dont pack for a mobile trip ;) Take nice food and creature comforts.
Book or a little radio for the down times. Basically saying dont restrict your self if you dont have to carry it all :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I'd throw an tarp in for an admin area for you and the dog...

It won't be much fun trying to cook if it's raining and he's in the tent with you :)

And if you've got shelters you can use already on site the tarp can be pitched over your tent as extra protection from sun/rain.

Oh and don't forget the dog food :lmao:

There's tipi's there so if the weather's really bad I can go and cook in there. The organizers sleep in there with their families. Helped put them up myself. And it's a lot more complicated than you'd think...:)
2013-07-13 16.34.45.jpg
There's no trees on the site so a tarp won't be much good but thanks for thinking along. :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
If you are going to be static then dont pack for a mobile trip ;) Take nice food and creature comforts.
Book or a little radio for the down times. Basically saying dont restrict your self if you dont have to carry it all :)

Packing loads of kit doesn't feel bushcrafty to me personally. So I try to limit myself. However due to the small amount of camping skills and experience I have I still need to take quite a bit of kit with me.:) Something for the down times is a great idea!

Fully agree with you.
On foot or mobile pack so its not a killer to lift.

Static take as much as you want to.
Cool box with grub in is a good un.
Chair is a great boone too
Large water container to save lugging water bottles to and from taps
Neils get a couple extending wash line poles and use them instead of trees for your tarp mate.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Fully agree with you.
On foot or mobile pack so its not a killer to lift.

Static take as much as you want to.
Cool box with grub in is a good un.
Chair is a great boone too
Large water container to save lugging water bottles to and from taps
Neils get a couple extending wash line poles and use them instead of trees for your tarp mate.

Thanks for the advice! Cool box won't work I think. Don't know how long it'd stay cool. Large water container is a great idea! That's going to make life easier. :) I hope to be able to supplement my diet with some fishing:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest frozen blocks or bottles are OK for a couple of days in a good cold box but without a means of replenishing the frozen blocks/bottles they ain't up to much, certainly in the summer months, remember the lad is on an extended trip.

Niels are there shops nearby ? Can you resupply ?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
To be honest frozen blocks or bottles are OK for a couple of days in a good cold box but without a means of replenishing the frozen blocks/bottles they ain't up to much, certainly in the summer months, remember the lad is on an extended trip.

Niels are there shops nearby ? Can you resupply ?

Yes about a 5 minute drive away. I don't have a car but an adult friend will be there with his family and he does and I think he'll go and ressuply too somewhere along the way. We don't have room in the fridge to freeze large things. So I don't think that's going to work.

I'm going to go to the shop tomorrow to find more unhealthy instant foods:D I like the pancake mix the best so far. I really hope those will turn out well I love pancakes.

Anyone have any thoughts on packing a fishing reel without breaking it?

rg598

Native
Well, what is it that you are trying to do? Are you using this trip as a way to practice and pick good kit for your backpacking trips, or is it just for fun. If it is the later, then as other's have pointed out, there is nothing to worry about. Just bring everything and the kitchen sink, then then drive to the store every other day for steaks. If on the other hand you are trying to minimize your gear and see what you actually need for when you undertake trips that involve traveling, then that's a completely different story.

You have pretty much everything in terms of what is needed. Going forward it will be just a matter of refining it. I understand that a lot of the choices are financially motivated, so there isn't much you can do about that. Two things thought...one is, I didn't see any water filtration or purification methods. Even in a stationary camp close to water, if you are boiling it in a small billy can, it will occupy a good part of your day. A filter or purification tablets would be very important, especially if your trip requires you moving locations. Also, the toiletries bag seems way too big. I'm sure if you just put the stuff into a ziplock bag it will save a lot of space.

As far as food, if you want to practice for actual trips, then you have to be careful about what you take and how you pack it. The calories for the weight and volume of the food are crucial. Here is an example of the food I carried on one of my trips: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012/12/bushcraft-and-backpacking-food-121512.html

Aside from that, going forward it will just be a matter of updating the gear as money becomes available. A good backpack, sleeping pad and sleeping bag are key. I would quickly sell my axe and knife in exchange for a good sleeping bag. :)

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Just read your blog on the food breakdown, have to excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the stove top consist of?

sent from my smart phone thingy using chubby digits

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Well, what is it that you are trying to do? Are you using this trip as a way to practice and pick good kit for your backpacking trips, or is it just for fun. If it is the later, then as other's have pointed out, there is nothing to worry about. Just bring everything and the kitchen sink, then then drive to the store every other day for steaks. If on the other hand you are trying to minimize your gear and see what you actually need for when you undertake trips that involve traveling, then that's a completely different story.

You have pretty much everything in terms of what is needed. Going forward it will be just a matter of refining it. I understand that a lot of the choices are financially motivated, so there isn't much you can do about that. Two things thought...one is, I didn't see any water filtration or purification methods. Even in a stationary camp close to water, if you are boiling it in a small billy can, it will occupy a good part of your day. A filter or purification tablets would be very important, especially if your trip requires you moving locations. Also, the toiletries bag seems way too big. I'm sure if you just put the stuff into a ziplock bag it will save a lot of space.

As far as food, if you want to practice for actual trips, then you have to be careful about what you take and how you pack it. The calories for the weight and volume of the food are crucial. Here is an example of the food I carried on one of my trips: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012/12/bushcraft-and-backpacking-food-121512.html

Aside from that, going forward it will just be a matter of updating the gear as money becomes available. A good backpack, sleeping pad and sleeping bag are key. I would quickly sell my axe and knife in exchange for a good sleeping bag. :)

Thanks for all the advice. I am indeed thinking about my equipment, with abroad and more mobile trips in the back of my head.
There is a water tap on site on this occasion, but a good water filter would be a good investment in any future trip. And I agree about the toilet bag, also.

Amazing how important cutting tools appeared when I started bushcrafting, and now that I'm actually getting out more, they're the easiest need to fulfill. I suspect this focus on cutting tools in bushcraft is due to the fact that most people like me don't get the chance to sleep out often (yet hopefully!:cool:), as one doesn't need to sleep out to use axes and knives...

Thanks again:)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I don't see any spare clothing in there, socks and underwear minimum of three days worth, plus evening wear, day clothes are good to stuff your pillow "jacket" with to have a bit more comfort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE