Packing a backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
What are your top tips on packing a backpack, people?

Here's one to start off with:

Always put your waterproofs somewhere they're easy to get at

:-D

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hey

Pack a flashlight in a top pocket, so it is easy to get, even in dark.
Sleeping bag in bottom, and sleeping mat on the outside of the pack.
1'st Aid kit at an 'quick to get place'..... :!: :arrow: :idea:

There is a lot of tips, but i'l let the others place them here! :cool: :wink:
(going to sweden to walk on sunday... :-D )

Andy
Vikingpower

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
I think a lot depends on your particular scenario. What kind of pack; internal frame, external frame, subframe, frameless? What kind of turrain; rugged or smooth, steep of flat?

I like this picture here: http://suoc.syr.edu/suoc/hiking/pack.html

htpp.gif

It's pretty close to how I usually keep my packs whether it's a daypack or a larger mountain pack.

Also, as had been mentioned, I like to have frequently accessed items close to grab. Sometimes, a little pouch lashed to the outside will have much benefit. I like to keep things like pen/paper, sometimes a camera, chapstick, DEET, map/compass, and a fixed blade easy to get at. I'm one of those people that REALLY hates having things in my pockets while hiking. So the only thing in my pockets will be a lighter and a folder. Oh yeah, another thing I RELLY like to have near the top is my pack cover and raingear, hehe. :shock:

I think that's pretty much it. Once you get the basics, then it's pretty much trial and error to fine tune everything so that *you* like it.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Vikings and Kaths tips are good ones.

Having humped a bergen over a few bits of dirt I would say my top tip is pack it to be user friendly - you dont want to unpack your entire sack to find your tent if its raining cats and dogs. Like wise you dont want to be unpacking it all if your after making a brew on a quick 15 minute stop over.

I HAVE ONE SIMPLE RULE - A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING AND EVERYTHING IN ITS PLACE. That way even in the dark, when Im tired, cold, wet I can still find what Im after quickly without fear of loosing gear or getting dry stuff wet and visa versa.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
I thing the basics are covered by the post above. Everything depends on the amount of stuff you carry, your pack, terrain, climate, etc.

Usually you want the heavy stuff close to your shoulders. Your sleeping bag is the most bulky and you can pack it first and you’ll unpack it last, so it goes in the bottom.

I have a FjallRaven rucksack with a lot of extra pouches and area’s to put things. Knife, compass, fire, part of my money, chain saw, map, sun glasses, mini-torch, etc. go into my pockets, (pants and or jacked). Binoculars and camera are strapped to the waist belt of the rucksack GPS on my left shoulder, the hose of the water sack on my right. Also a small whistle on a short cord on my right shoulder. The water sack is in the (spacious) top hatch of the pack. When walking in the sun (of when it’s freezing) I’ll cover it in a fleece sweater for insulation. Under the hatch my raincoat if I’m not wearing it. Left side pocked is the med.kit, right side pocket the rain pants (if I’m not wearing them). Extra space in the side pockets is filled with quick rations like chocolate, energy bars, nuts etc.
The back pocked contains maps I don’t need at the time, and other flat things.
Inside everything is separately packed into water proof bags. Sleeping bag at the bottom, tent poles and sleeping mat upright, tent in between, cooking gear close to my shoulders, fuel bottle high against shoulders but upright, clothe in two bags (dry and wet) to fill the gaps.

My machete I strapped to the side of the pack, upside down so I can pull it out without taking of my pack. Nothing is on top or strapped to the back. Anything you strap to your pack, tends to dangle, gets lost, gets entangled with branches, makes noise, etc.
I carry my water in a platypus bag. It collapses when getting empty, so there is no moving water to get you out of balance. Also for this I keep fuel bottles (unleaded gas and smoky peated scotch :wink: ) upright, less shaky and less chance of leaking.

As said, his can vary. When there is no chance of rain, the rain clothes go deeper. When travelling with public transport, everything goes inside the pack (like camera and GPS), when in the desert, lot’s of extra water, in the pack and on my body. Most of these things are logical if you think them over.

The most essential items should be on your body all the time. Things you might need quick (rain gear, light, water, snacks, med.kit) should be at hand. The overall balance should be so that you can walk or climb stable and with little effort as possible.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
get hold of some glow in the dark beads or make some, attatch them to zips, first aid kit torch ect!

i have a "Traser" (10 year, radioactive light source) key ring, that i usually have attatched to my torch, so i can find my torch instantly at 3AM in complete darkness!

attatch some reflective tape somewhere to your pack not only as a road/hill saftey feature but it stops you misplacing your bag on dark nights, and stops it getting run over on campsites! especially if your bag is a dark colour!

pack and re-pack your sack till, you have illiminated any wasted space and weight.

don't assume you will need a full kit!

look at each item, does it do only one thing or can it be pressed into service as something else?

ie:

poncho = coat /shelter /groundsheet.
messtin = saucepan/ plate/ wash bowl/ scoop.

the down side is you can only use it for one of the tasks at a time, but you probably won't need to!

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
What I found works for me:

"long stay" pack: Sleeping bag in the bottom, not always in a stuff bag, hard and heavy items (stove and saucepans, or messkit alone, tent canvas [poles go along the sides, on the inside of the pack]) on top of that and against my back, food placed in front/on top (just how I can fit it in), spare clothes fill up the holes, and waterproofs on top. My platypus is either folded under the lid, or slid inside the frame (rectangular tube frame in a sort of sleeve thing, it fits great in it). I don't always take a tent, but if I take one it's usally shared, and I fit the poles upright on the side of the bag (inside it), with the canvas next to it, and the sleeping bag upright next to it, in it's bag (if I don't take a tent I don't need the stuff bag)

Then torch, tissues, penknife etc. (quick access stuff) in side pockets or trouser pockets.

Well, basically, bulky and not very used stuff in the bottom, hard and/or heavy stuff against your back, soft stuff to fill up the gaps, waterproofs and water easily accessible.

Daypack: food in the main compartment, with a jumper and other things like a camera, binoculars, towel and swimming truncs if there's going to be a lake or a river, Platypus (Big Zips 3) in the hydration sleeve of the main compartment, waterproof jacket in the outside pouch.

Ski pack: Thermos on the side (always the right...just a habit); ziplock with fleece gloves, scarf and spare goggles in the bottom, ziplock with food on top of that, sometimes penknife (if I take cheese and un cut bread) in the little zipped pouch of the main compartment). The spare warm things in a ziplock come from having wet gloves soaked in sweat in cold weather [fleece gloves], my face frozen and hurt by ice flying at it in storms [scarf], and my goggles frozen after leaving them in the snow while building a kicker [spare goggles]. The food in another ziplock is after having had everything soaked by snow while opening the bag in a storm...

My ski boots, helmet, goggles and gloves are always on me, my suncream is either in a pocket of my jacket or in the little pocket of my bag, and I put a shovel in the outside pouch of my bag when off-piste skiing.

Well, packing a daypack isn't really very complicated :lol:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like to wear a small belt pack with mine, for the things I want to keep handy. I don't like to keep much in my pockets. I strap my fixed blade to one shoulder strap and a Outdoor Research Possum pouch to the other shoulder strap (for digital camera). In camp I wear the belt pouch and transfer the fixed blade to the belt of the pouch or carry it around my neck baldric style.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cant imagine your choice of blade carriage going down there well this side of the Pond Hoodoo.

Either the police would nick you or you'd be shamed into taking it off by all the Rambo remarks!

As for belt kits - what pouch do you use I just cant find one that works for me. I dont want to wear webbing and long like some wanna be soldier but bumbags (fannypacks) just arent up to it.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
This thread is promiting me to photo my kit as I`ve been meaning to do for some time.

Gary - I use a Pre-Mac belt pouch for odds and sods. I carry a fire-strike, insect repellant, 10m paracord, flint and steel and char cloth/tin.

Then i also have a first aid kit and my knife.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Nomad, thanks mate.

I have tried that one already but I find I can fit more in my pockets. I usually carry my tinder pouch with match safe, candle stub and spare fireball fire steel, spoon, mosi head net (gathering bag), small first aid kit, Nordic summer, compass, map and whistle on my body as I know I always have them to hand if I need them.

Knife goes around the neck.

Pre-mac pouches are good for first aid kits though.

I suppose I like to have my 'possibles' on my body as these are the last things I'm going to lose if I lose anything.

Would be nice to find a really good belt pouch though - problem is finding one that can be worn under a jacket without looking odd and one that is of a size that is useful and not awkward when wearing a pack..

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have a several different belt packs I carry. One is a small JanSport, the second is a slightly bigger Columbia, and the third is a slightly bigger yet, Northface. I go with bigger if I want to carry a field guide in the pouch (or sometimes artillery :-D ). As for the shoulder carry of the knife, where else? If you wear a hipbelt, it will interfere with the hip belt. You can clip it to the hip belt but not all belts accomodate this and when you set the pack down, the knife is in the dirt if it's mounted vertically. Most other places and it's not handy. I don't use neck carry because I have binos around my neck.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
I think most of what I would say has been covered, especially about removing unnecessary clutter. On the subject of carrying odds and ends I use several systems- the smallest is a 8" leather belt pouch (made for viking reenactments :oops: which hangs just below the belt so rarely interferes with my rucksack strap. This normally holds flints and striker, small survival kit, folding knife, cotton wool and charcloth as well as 5m paracord. I tolerate having my mini maglight on a belt pouch and have my Pukoo around my neck. For carrying more kit I add either an army style waistcoat (32 pockets!) or a canvas shoulder bag.

Attached to the straps of my rucksack are whistle, watch, firestiker and a radioactive glow stick (one of those 10yr things). Inside of rucksack packed pretty much as everyone else, but on one side (outside) I attach my german entrenching tool (easily accessible for calls of nature...). :pack:

Hope some of this helps!

Blue Sky, Jim.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
For the items that are likely to be used as I'm traveling, I usually wear a multi pocket travelers vest, but during summer months where temperatures can reach 110+F, the vest is just too warm to wear. So, I picked up a belt pouch and even though it keeps everything close at hand, it's bulky. That prompted me to find a pouch that would carry the essentials, as well as seperate them for easy access. Pock-its looks like it'll do what I'm looking for.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Gary said:
I HAVE ONE SIMPLE RULE - A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING AND EVERYTHING IN ITS PLACE. That way even in the dark, when Im tired, cold, wet I can still find what Im after quickly without fear of loosing gear or getting dry stuff wet and visa versa.
My daughter (Kate688) gives me that same line about everything in it's place when I've asked her for advice about packs - must be standard soldier speak (ie. 'buttons today, safety catch tomorrow' :lol:) What I want to know is what is that place. I'd love to get my pack so that it's just right but ... it just doesn't happen! grrrr! :banghead:

Gonna give up on packs altogether and go for a bed roll and a leg pouch... Or steal 007's webbing... Or saddle bags and a horse (sorry still thinking Clint Eastwood... :oops:)

It's no wonder I can't find the perfect handbag either! :roll: :240:

leon-1

Kath, make a list of the things that you use most when you are out and about, and the things that you will need more frequently than others (waterproofs?), then cut the list back by about 2/3 of what you have got, all the remainder should go into the easily accesible parts of your daysack or bergan, that is about all that can be said on it.

You know more about what you use than anyone else, so people can't tell you the exact way to pack things and where to pack them.

You tend to find a compact stove, metal mug, brew kit, first aid kit and waterproofs are always the most easily accessible. Then it moves towards, string/cordage, short term rations, shelter, warm kit, hammock, sleeping bag and bivi bag. Any spare kit and longer term rations tends to sit at the bottom of your bergan/daysack.

This is quite a simplified way of looking at things, but for bushcraft that is what you are looking at.

I tend to carry a torch in the top of my daysack, but have one on the zip of my jacket and the cord for the snowcape of my daysack as well, this covers basically all eventualities as far as lighting are concerned.

I hope this is of use, Leon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE