Oxfordshire Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
After our plant walk last sunday, I was wondering if anyone was interested in meeting up on a regular basis, say once a month? on the first tuesday of the month or whatever day folks can do. We'd have to agree a day but keeping it a regular date or day may be simpler. If some can't make it for whatever reason on a particular month, then they can't make it.
We could post ideas as to where we're going to go, and what we're going to do, and maybe go for the odd weekend away to the coast or lakes, dartmoor etc.
Anyway just an idea to see what people think, but have an actual theme and learn something for each meet rather than just chatting in the pub. We could maybe do book/Documentry DVD pass arounds etc too.
All ideas on a postcard please.

Oh, and everybody would be welcome, families, folks not from Oxordshire, newbies, old hats. It'd be great to have a really friendly, family orientated 'open to all' group. What d'ya think? I think the idea has been bandied about before but never got off the ground and....................spring and summer are coming, lets do it.

Nick

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
A very good idea - I think that the walk on Sunday 'broke the ice' (almost literally speaking following the "welly incident") so I think that good things could come from this. I like the themed idea, where we could perhaps get to do stuff that we may not have the resources /facilities to do as an individual (e.g. someone might be able to get hold of willow or lime bark that we can't cut from public places) and also get the chance to demonstrate our own skills (if appropriate).

Evenings would be OK for me, though I'd personally go for a day at the weekend once a month or so. However, the trips away sound good to me also. I'm happy to fit in with whatever the majority want.

Geoff

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Count me in guys. I was hoping to get out last weekend but I'm too busy preparing for my wedding so was unable.

Things have been hectic this last year with the wedding, changing jobs and moving house but after April things should settle down a bit.

I tried to set something up some time ago but for one reason or another it didn't happen then. That doesn't however mean that the woods I looked into were a no go so I'll start up the dialogue again and hopefully this time something will happen.

I haven't met anyone local yet with the exception of Geoff so it would be good to put faces to names.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Just a suggestion then taking this forward.

Shall we do the first sunday of every month for our Oxfordshire group meet-up? Of course some will make it some months, and not others. Some will make it every month, and some will make it once in a blue moon. Everyone has different stuff going on of course, but having a regular day will stop a lot of faffing about.

How about the 4th of May for the first one? and then the first sunday of every month after that. What do folks think?

Cheers

Nick

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
I'm up for it.
Shame i missed out on the previous walkabout, but May 4th sounds good to me.
As for regular meet ups, weekends are probably best (due to work commitments, etc)

Got any pics from the plant ID day?

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
I have some pics from the day but am having trouble uploading them, to be honest though if you like snowscapes they are good. the rest of the pics were all fogged up, the joy of using a cameraphone:twak:
The regular meet up sounds good, will make it in between shifts.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Great stuff. I'd imagine more people may join once we get going.

Anyone got any suggestions where we'll meet on the 4th.? We can got to Shotover again if no-one objects and maybe try some of these wild foods and teas. I've got some meadowsweet leaves ready dried I can bring along. Just a suggestion if anyone else has ideas put them forward, don't be shy. :D :drive:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Based on failling_rain's suggestion, the next meet would be Sunday 1 June. Is anybody interested? Any thoughts on what to do?

I was looking at all the different trees in Bagley Wood from the bus window this morning and was wondering about a tree ID walk at Bagley Wood, but all suggestions are welcome.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Did anyone go out last Sunday? I was going to but the washing machine packed up so I had to have a look at it - I fitted a new heating element today and it's all working again. Now, if we washed using a stone in the river, I could have just found another stone. :D

Any plans for 6 July?

Geoff

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
Hello

I havn't used this forum for a long while, and was wondering if there are any activities in the oxford area? or any meet ups (even if it is just a pub meet up?)

I live quite near to port meadow.

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
Hi dangerpie, as far as i know there is nothing in the pipeline at the moment but keep a look out as i am sure there will be something in the next few months. There are quite a few people around the oxford area, some of us have met up and also attended the moot last year, good to have you on board, dont worry about being a newbie you will quickly learn from everyone on here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE