Outdoor hot drinks , Whats your tipple ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Im usually a coffee drinker ...

I fancy trying Pine Needle Tea next time im out and come across pine , anyon tried it and could give me a rundown on if its good ? I read that it treats alot of diseases ... not that i have any ,and not that i believe such stories :p but this was from Ehow[I]DO NOT consume this tea if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant. It has been known to cause the death of an unborn child within 24 hours! (though no one is sure why as of yet--always consult your physician first.)[/I]Read more: How to Make Pine Needle Tea | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2102192_pine-needle-tea.html#ixzz1AIk59PSk

Is there any other forage etc that can be used in a hot drink ? heard of nettle soup but not much else ...

whats your experiences and favourates guys ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I prefer coffee but pine tea is quite refreshing sometimes.

I remember waiting to be picked up after a trip and brewed up pine tea as I had nothing else to drink. I must have supped a few pints worth by the time my lift turned up, by the end I had convinced myself it almost tasted like yorkshire tea

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Tried pine needle tea once , wasn't impressed but if i was stuck with nothing else it would do .

I was wondering if normal tea with brambles , raspberries or blue berries would work.

Craig........................

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Tried it not so long ago... 20 min steep kinda tasted like pine flavoured hot water (what else LoL) but....

Took some home, brewed up a pint of water with two sections of scots pine needles (or, half volume of needles to water) and left to cool overnight. Strained in morning, reheated and actually pretty good! (more tea tasting and quite rich)

Added a drizzle of syrup as we where out of honey which made it that much better, even a friend that normally wouldn't touch anything like that, liked it.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I have yet to brew a good cup of coffee out camping, so I stick to tea. I will, however, try my hardest to bring a pack of biscuits with me. Essential piece of kit as far as I'm concerned, on par with my knife and my hammock!

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I've not had pine tea but have had the pleasure of mint tea in Norway - just a bunch of peppermint leaves popped in a teapot as normal. It's an acquired taste but worth trying - there really is nothing to making it.

A little sugar or anything else sweet can make it a bit more palatable.

Has anyone got any recommendations for using blackcurrants in a hot drink, made 'in the field' rather than in the kitchen? Got slightly addicted to a hot blackcurrant drink they have over there, and have been filling my flask with hot blackcurrant squash since getting back, but I'd like to get into making my own.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Has anyone got any recommendations for using blackcurrants in a hot drink, made 'in the field' rather than in the kitchen? Got slightly addicted to a hot blackcurrant drink they have over there, and have been filling my flask with hot blackcurrant squash since getting back, but I'd like to get into making my own.

I carried a flask of hot cassis everyday in the Alps last week, I can understand the addictive thing, it was bloody lovely :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
If I want a quality cup of coffee, then an aeropress + a bag of Sainsbury's Kenyan ground coffee - beautiful.

For ease and light weight, nescafe 3 in 1.

For a warming drink that tastes like a meal, a Bovril cube.

Teabags for ...a cup of tea.

Ovaltine malt chocolate sachets, for a nightcap.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
IMHO nothing beats a fresh espresso in the morning after getting up, followed by the ubiquitous tea in gallons, but if I've got a flask it's hot ribena - if it gets cold it's still ribena!

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Pine needle tea is quite nice...although subtle in its flavour. I would definatly recommend the idea of leaving it to brew/cool overnight and reheat.

You might also want to think about Gorse flower tea. I think gorse flower is serisouly underrated and a really tasty brew...imagine a almondy tasting tea...great stuff!

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Well thereis loaaaaads of other teas around, by far the best flavour for me is from wild pear. Just a first year twigs chopped up and put in a cup with boiling water on top. That's best in winter. Summer i hail for peppermint. Easy to find and tastes great. As for the winter you could as well find wild blackcurrant shoots, they do taste like a mix of blackcurrant and geen tea, although not so strong in flavour.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm always on the lookout for more alternatives for a refreshing drink but if I travel, and I need to keep alert, for me it has to be real tea. I can't abide tea bags and I carry loose leaf tea in a quantity and container suited to the journey. I never put milk in my tea, I sprinkle a little bit of vitamin C in it. I carry the vitamin C in a very small plastic container which started life containing shower gel in a hotel somewhere. I carry Oxo cubes for a hot drink that I find refreshes me more than most but won't keep me awake all night like tea does. Packet soups are good too.

You can make an approximation to coffee by roasting and crushing dandelion roots, I'm not a coffee lover but to me they taste quite like coffee. You can make nettle tea but I'm not fond of it. Mint is good as has already been mentioned. I have a friend who just drinks hot water, even at home. I call her the Empress, because in parts of the far east the higher the status of the guest, the weaker you must make the tea.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
normaly coffee but have moved on to tea as it gives me a bad head, but then 300 odd cups a day would lol......

try bramble leaves when out or raspberry leaves, acorns can be used as coffee when roasted as dandilion roots..... nettle tea, rose pettles and meany others can be used.......

regards.

chris.....................................

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Mystery Science Coffee 3000! Sang first thing in the morning at that.
CalibanZwei's bag'O' coffee and sugar mix, every spoonful is different~!

other then that just real coffee grounds thrown in your billy, serve from there, who needs all this filter tosh first thing in the morning the point is to infuse the liquid with the coffee so get it in the billy ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE