Our Woodland Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
In May 2013 we had an idea to build a woodland shelter, as a base to practice bushcraft. We found a great secluded woodland which we'd visited a few times before and began the build. The design was just improvised on the day, and it turned out to be quite a large shelter. Over the months we added bits and pieces on each visit, including table and chairs, and this video takes us right up to a couple days before Christmas. It has been a great place to visit, and feels like a little home-from-home. Dead, fallen trees were used for the entire build. Some green thatching was added, but we harvested very small amounts from numerous areas around the forest. Over the year, we only saw a man and his dog nearby, and then a group of like-minded wild campers, who spent the night nearby! Other than that...just foxes, deer, owls and other birds. We've put together a video of how it all came about...

[video=youtube_share;y4C15sgYWpc]http://youtu.be/y4C15sgYWpc[/video]

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
Great vid, thanks for taking the time to do it guys, I really enjoy seeing other peoples camps.

Fajita's are one of my favourite camp meals too. :)

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Trouble is, being a few miles to your NW (probably, Northamptons a big place isn't it!), I have an awful urge to find your camp and leave offerings in tribute to such a lovely job you guys have done! It looks a smashing place with a lovely karma :) Just brilliant, lads, may it always be used with respect by others x

Thanks everyone, for your kind comments! :D

Trouble is, being a few miles to your NW (probably, Northamptons a big place isn't it!), I have an awful urge to find your camp and leave offerings in tribute to such a lovely job you guys have done! It looks a smashing place with a lovely karma :) Just brilliant, lads, may it always be used with respect by others x

Well, there's a nice challenge for you! ;)

Northampton sure is a big place! The wood is a 30-40 minute drive from where I live too...and then the shelter is a good 15-20 minute walk. Maybe there's some clues here and there though...;)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thoroughly enjoyed your video. A lovely tranquil spot you found there and you look to be having great fun.

I wonder, have you thought of having a stash box buried somewhere close so a small store could be had and save on lugging stuff in everytime?

Thoroughly enjoyed your video. A lovely tranquil spot you found there and you look to be having great fun.

I wonder, have you thought of having a stash box buried somewhere close so a small store could be had and save on lugging stuff in everytime?

I think that would be a great idea! As I usually have a huuuuge backpack full of gear with each visit...and it's quite a trek through the woods :D ....Will think about this one ;) thanks!

CBarker

Aug 17, 2010
MK
Looks great. Really captured exactly what I want to do! How regular do you visit? What's your next plan for it?

Can I ask though, without any judgement or agenda, is it somewhere you have explicit permission to do it?

if not then I am guessing it was chosen for its seclusion/difficulty to get to meaning you don't have many passers by? How'd you find put about where it is?

Probably the biggest barrier I've got to getting started is finding somewhere to do it. (I am also Northamptonshire - not going to ask where it is though).

not to worry if you'd rather not say just ignore the question and it'll go away! :cool:

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Well done lads, great work. I'd love to have a go at something like that myself but around where I live it wouldn't last a night!

As said, I hope it stands for a long time and you get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Dave

Looks great. Really captured exactly what I want to do! How regular do you visit? What's your next plan for it?

Can I ask though, without any judgement or agenda, is it somewhere you have explicit permission to do it?

if not then I am guessing it was chosen for its seclusion/difficulty to get to meaning you don't have many passers by? How'd you find put about where it is?

Probably the biggest barrier I've got to getting started is finding somewhere to do it. (I am also Northamptonshire - not going to ask where it is though).

not to worry if you'd rather not say just ignore the question and it'll go away! :cool:

We visit maybe once a month. Our next plan...maybe more thatching. We have talked about a teepee type build opposite too.

It's in a public woodland. We picked a spot off the beaten track, and found the location as we like exploring and practicing bushcraft, so often hunt around woodlands for secluded spots. Just use Google maps and/or OS maps and go and explore! :)

We like the idea of other bushcrafters using and adding to the shelter, but we also want to keep this woodland a quiet place...its the reason we chose it afterall... we think its fun for people to try and find it though! There are clues to its location. Maybe soon we will share some more clues...in our next video on youtube maybe ;)

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Fantastic!
Just what I want to do one day,
Love how it all came together.
Cracking idea about putting a safe box somewhere.
You must be ready to face anything when you get back home after a couple of days and night there.
Also it’s nice to have a friend to share it with (BILLy no mates he he)
Well done, can’t wait for the next episode

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I think that would be a great idea! As I usually have a huuuuge backpack full of gear with each visit...and it's quite a trek through the woods :D ....Will think about this one ;) thanks!

If you know a plasterer, the tubs that you get ready mixed filler in are airtight strong and pretty big, somewhere around the thirty litre mark. I doubt you'd need to pay anything, it saves him the ballache of disposing of it. Scrape the residue out and give it a scrub clean with a scourer and some warm water. Then take it out to the woods and just bury it, remembering exactly where, obviously.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE