Opinel Mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 28, 2005
Having posted this on British blades' i thought i would share this with you as well. Took my old opinel no 8, and carved away with my SAK, and then sanded away with 'wet and dry' to get a nice shape. Then a couple of coats of 'colron' finishing wax, to finish.

The great thing about an opinel is that they are really cheap to buy, a great locking system, and really easy to sharpen and edge retention. Thos of us who don't like paying 'big' money for Knives, can make a cheap knife [less than atenner] into a personal item.. cheers :D

Attachments

• DSCF0053.JPG
    DSCF0053.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 365

davek

Dec 3, 2004
usa
Love my opi's

Still wish I could find a cheap locking ring though. On the last two pics I'm showing one I made for a #8 I got for cheap without one. The smaller opi's don't have one either. It's a good mod, but I spent way too much time on it.

Attachments

• opinel3_2.jpg
    opinel3_2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 184
  • opimod_2.jpg
    opimod_2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 156
  • opimod2_2.jpg
    opimod2_2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 154

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
I have a #8 Opinel with a leather case and sharpening stick.

Real cheap and mine has a lovely custom handle with Marmottes on. :)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I started a thread a couple of days ago to get ideas for a new uk-legal penknife and one of the options now is to get an opinel no5, which is non-locking. This made me think of what someone on here suggested: just remove the locking ring.

Now, to the point (finally), wouldn't it be great if you could reverse the ring on an opinel (awkward because it's not symetrical) so that it would lock CLOSED but not open? That MIGHT make it legal for every day carry, and would solve the old problem of it coming open whenerv it wants. Just a suggestion. Phil

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
I started a thread a couple of days ago to get ideas for a new uk-legal penknife and one of the options now is to get an opinel no5, which is non-locking. This made me think of what someone on here suggested: just remove the locking ring.

Now, to the point (finally), wouldn't it be great if you could reverse the ring on an old opinel that doesn't lock closed (awkward because it's not symetrical) so that it would lock CLOSED but not open? That MIGHT make it legal for every day carry, and would solve the old problem of it coming open whenerv it wants. Just a suggestion! Phil

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
The current lock rings on opinels lock open and closed. At least mine do.
:)

Won't make it any more legal though.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Marts said:
The current lock rings on opinels lock open and closed. At least mine do.

Won't make it any more legal though.

I modified one of my Opinels a (a N°6) few years ago, to make it lock shut as well as open.

A couple of years ago, or so, the factory altered the design of the ring to lock shut.

Keith.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I have an old non-locking No 6, which I don't really like to use anymore because the swivel is far too loose to feel secure. The handle is basically useless for working with this knife - I have to hold it by the blade or risk losing my fingers.

If it's non-locking, I definitely want a slipjoint.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
I just re-read my first post and it's a total mess. I wrote it in a real hurry.

What I meant was that the worst two things about an opinel as an every day carry are that the lock makes them illegal, and they sometimes open in your bag/ pocket. A locking ring that was modified to let it lock closed, but not open would solve the second problem, and might also make it legal because it wouldn't lock open. It's a lot of work to go to, but the blades are good enough that it might be worth it for someone with the right skill.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Hi Phil

Your first post (both of them :cool: ) wasn't that much of a mess - I responded by saying..

1 Opinel have already made the adjustment you suggest so their locks now lock the blade when its closed.

2 It would still be illegal under UK law because it locks when the blade is open.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I don't mean to be prudent, but why are the UK's knife laws so strict?

Up here in The Great White North of Canada, I see people walking around with 8 inch fixed blades on their belts, or locking hunting blades. No-one really cares.

Mind you, the only thing remotely resembling a knife that I carry anymore is a Victorinox Swiss Card that I stole off my Dad. It resides in my backpack for when I go to campus for classes.

(But then again, a lot people I know don't even bother locking their house doors. sooo......)

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
addyb said:
I don't mean to be prudent, but why are the UK's knife laws so strict?

[a] There's a lot of us crammed into a small space.

Many of us are :censored: idiots.

[c] Present company excepted.

[d] But not the legislature.

Think that about covers it...

Oh, and no Grizzlies to fight off, so don't need a sword. :lmao:

Jim.

Adrian M

Aug 25, 2005
To close to London !!
philaw said:
What I meant was that the worst two things about an opinel as an every day carry are that the lock makes them illegal, and they sometimes open in your bag/ pocket. A locking ring that was modified to let it lock closed, but not open would solve the second problem, .

Could you replace the pivot pin with something that tightens so you can at least increase the tension (like they are when new) so it dosen't open accidently.

Adrian

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Adrian M said:
Could you replace the pivot pin with something that tightens so you can at least increase the tension (like they are when new) so it dosen't open accidently.

Adrian

Increasing the tension with a screwing pivot might be possible, but the pivot isn't a very big diameter, so this might not be possible.

The wood wears, and shrinks a little, making the blade loose. Allow the wood to swell a little, by leaving in a slightly more humid atmosphere, and the action will tighten.

You could also take off the ring, and mount it on the other end of the handle. This way, you could lick the blade shut into the handle, but couldn't lock it open. This sort of defeats the object, in any case, of the Opinel in useful sizes.

Also, you have to face the facts.

If you get pulled over by a policeman, and he finds a "sharp or bladed object" on you, then you are possibly in trouble that no amount of discussion could resolve.

If you can show that you have good reason, you can have a Number 8 Opinel (over 3" blade and locking mechanism).

If you can't show a good reason for it, even though S.139 of the 1988 Criminal Justice Act specifically states that you can carry a folding knife with a blade of 3" of less, so long as the blade doesn't lock open, you can still be convicted for another offense under the 1953 Prevention of Crime Act (thanks to Danzo for recently pointing this out on BB, and for the link to http://www.bailii.org/ for reference).

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE