Opening cans with no tools.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not usually a fan of this chap but I did think the lateral thinking to get in was pretty good.

[video=youtube;oH2NahLjx-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2NahLjx-Y[/video]

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Pretty clever way to open a tin... wouldn't like to try it with a full sized tin of beans though... could get messy.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Use a rock as an abrasive again "rub/grind" the can open. any abrasive will work, as said before there are a multitude of small hand operated openers available.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, like who is going to take a zombie survival guide seriously?

I find this LAME

Anyhow zombies rarely bother with tins

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I just like learning new ways of doing things. You'd be surprised how many free drinks I've received and ladies I've met by knowing how to remove a wine cork totally from a bottle with a spoon and a piece of string! Curse the modern screw top!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I just like learning new ways of doing things. You'd be surprised how many free drinks I've received and ladies I've met by knowing how to remove a wine cork totally from a bottle with a spoon and a piece of string! Curse the modern screw top!

That sounds like a far more useful skill than opening tins of beans with a chunk of concrete.... how'd you go about removing a cork with a spoon and some string then?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That sounds like a far more useful skill than opening tins of beans with a chunk of concrete.... how'd you go about removing a cork with a spoon and some string then?
You can get a drink with just a spoon but the string is for show off value.
Remove any foil from bottle top, place the end of the spoon handle on top of the cork (all on a stable surface) and whack down on the bowl of the spoon pushing the cork into the bottle. At this point you can leave the spoon in place and pour the wine, the handle of the spoon inside the bottle neck will prevent the cork blocking the flow.
If you want to show off and have a bit of paracord or clean bootlace tie a simple knot at each end of the bit of cord. Dangle the two ends into the neck of the bottle allowing the knots to go down further than the bottom of the cork. (You can use the spoon to help with this.) Work the top of the cork into the inverted funnel of the neck with the knots of the string at the 12 & 6 positions on the bottom of the cork. Gently pull and the cork will pull up and out of the bottle to rapturous applause and hero worship of your manly skills from slightly inebriated Chardonnay loving ladies. Hussar!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Kin ell, you must have waaaay more sophisticated mates than me.
Mine don't care past the bottle is opened so they can drink wine part so the string is entirely superfluous.

Push cork in with spoon, pour, drink. Sorted.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You can get a drink with just a spoon but the string is for show off value.
Remove any foil from bottle top, place the end of the spoon handle on top of the cork (all on a stable surface) and whack down on the bowl of the spoon pushing the cork into the bottle. At this point you can leave the spoon in place and pour the wine, the handle of the spoon inside the bottle neck will prevent the cork blocking the flow.
If you want to show off and have a bit of paracord or clean bootlace tie a simple knot at each end of the bit of cord. Dangle the two ends into the neck of the bottle allowing the knots to go down further than the bottom of the cork. (You can use the spoon to help with this.) Work the top of the cork into the inverted funnel of the neck with the knots of the string at the 12 & 6 positions on the bottom of the cork. Gently pull and the cork will pull up and out of the bottle to rapturous applause and hero worship of your manly skills from slightly inebriated Chardonnay loving ladies. Hussar!

No idea why... I was expecting something along the lines of tying the string to the spoon and you whirling it round expertly before tapping the bottle... the cork magically flying upwards to a huge applause.

Bit disappointed its whacking the cork with a spoon :(

String trick sounds good though... might have a pop at that (pun intended) :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There are a couple of more sophisticated ways I see on looking,,,

[video=youtube;jLghvnKbOmQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLghvnKbOmQ[/video]

This one's a faff but cool as it involvrs flame...
[video=youtube;YcqVwMvGQtU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcqVwMvGQtU[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If you happen to have a sabre or kukhri lying about....

[video=youtube;qCp9-tEHa8U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCp9-tEHa8U[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE